Skip to main content
Topic: 87' t-bird digital to turbo coupe buttstuffog instument gauge swap (Read 13812 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 87' t-bird digital to turbo coupe buttstuffog instument gauge swap

Reply #15
Actually, talk to joecool on NATO.. or here if he is registered. I think he was playing around with speedos and tachs a while back, he may have some info for you.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Reply #16
I have an buttstuffogue cluster that I took out of an 86 XR-7 that I parted awhile back...(also took the power leather seats and the dash-they're in the maroon 88 as the stock seats were junk and some ass-drip vandalized the dash)
basically all I'd have to do is change the oil pressure sender, and put a 500 ohm resistor on the charging terminals?
too bad there ain't a way to hook up the boost gauge to somethin'-make it look like it's got a turbo  :giggle:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #17
The 85-86 tach is different from the 87-88, so it can't be modified to work with a V8 in the same way. You can buy 87-88 TC clusters for about $10 on ebay, so finding one shouldn't be hard. You'll also need to rewire the plug in the back of the cluster as your base cluster will have a completely different pinout. In fact you may need the TC cluster plug - I don't remember if I changed my connector or repinned it. You will also have to extend a few wires because they will be too short.

Aside from the oil sender you'll also need a tach wire. If you have a remote starter installed chances are your installer already ran a tach wire and you'll just have to tap into it. If not, you'll have to run one. BTW, when you get the oil sender get the extension as well. The oil pressure sender is much larger than the idiot light switch and will not clear the oil filter without the extension.

You can't use the boost gauge, but if you don't like having a gauge that is not functional you can paint over the boost gauuge with flat black paint. That's what I did when I did the swap:

I use the "Firm Ride" LED for an alarm indicator. I've since installed a stainless cluster plate as well, that I bought on eBay:

BTW, while I'm posting pics here, my T-Bird is almost the twin of yours:

2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #18
O.K.,I'm doing the gauge swap.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #19
lookin' good!
gonna have to find me one of them 200 mph speedos
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #20
It's actually km/hr. I'm Canadian. We didn't get stuck with those wimpy 85 MPH speedos :D
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #21
quite so-time for a new box of contacts, also!
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

87' t-bird digital to turbo coupe buttstuffog instument gauge swap

Reply #22
Here's a blast from the past!

Anyone still have the info linked to in this thread? Finally swapping my sport buttstuffog cluster in place of the base digital one.

Reply #23
WOW talk about back from dead... How ya been doin???

Reply #24
I'm doing great. Thanks Tom. How are you?

Reply #25
Ohhh I've been better, I've been worse...  I think it has something to do with excessive amount of birthdays...

My Bird came home today after spending almost two years over in my mom's garage... Just mebby I'll get the 331 installed before winter...

Reply #26
The oil and gas gauges are supposedly different between buttstuffog and digital dashes. The wiring is more simplified going from the base cluster to buttstuffog then digital to buttstuffog. All the wires are there except for the amp Guage stuff, which is largely useless anyways.

I still think the full digital cluster is way, way cooler. It has a built in trip computer.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #27
I don't have a full digital cluster. T-bird parts are hard to find around here. I have an buttstuffog cluster I salvaged from the sport I sped a few years back.

It's in the car now and everything seems to be working: speedo, tach, fuel, temp, amp. I still have to get the right sender for the oil pressure.

I did run into one problem: I shorted two wires together and now the radio, cab lights, and clock aren't working. Fuses tested ok. I have no idea where to look now. EDIT: It was a fuse after all. #8 - 15amp