Skip to main content
Topic: Stock stereo question  (Read 686 times) previous topic - next topic

Stock stereo question

I’m replacing the speakers in my 85 Tbird. I’m also adding a CD changer ( Alpine with remote), for that “ period correct look. I’m keeping the factory head unit ( no eq) . Can I add an amplifier to the factory unit? It’s been years since I have messed with audio equipment. I’m sure there is much better equipment but this car is all original and I would like it to appear that way while getting better sound. ( Hopefully that makes since and I didn’t ramble.)
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Re: Stock stereo question

Reply #1
do you have premium sound with the stock amp?

I do, and i planned to swap the stock amp for a lil 4 ch amp with more power.

I also have the stock tape deck no eq and a alpine cd changer in the trunk.
Mike

Reply #2
So the sound will only be as good as the signal the factory head unit puts out which is by today’s standards is not all that great.  The reason I say this is the only way we used to install aftermarket amps on the stock stereo was to use line output converters which convert the speaker output out of the head unit to an RCA signal.  So with that you connect the LOC’s directly to the speakers wires on the back of the head unit and the signal is only as good as the electronics in your  near 40 year old radio.

Decent video on how to install:

https://youtu.be/wi3L0XhHJK8

You will want to install two of them or one that does front and rear channels if you plan on amplifying both the front and rear speakers. This will allow you to utilize the fader on the head unit. If you want to install a subwoofer simply use a set of “Y” RCA cables so you can split the sound from either the front or rear channel depending on how you want the subwoofer to fad. I was always a fan of putting it with the front speakers.

Some of the newer amps have outputs on them to provide signal to a sub amp so the “Y”’s would not be necessary in that case.

Anyhow hope this helps and for the love of car audio ditch the factory head unit.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #3
So the sound will only be as good as the signal the factory head unit puts out which is by today’s standards is not all that great.  The reason I say this is the only way we used to install aftermarket amps on the stock stereo was to use line output converters which convert the speaker output out of the head unit to an RCA signal.  So with that you connect the LOC’s directly to the speakers wires on the back of the head unit and the signal is only as good as the electronics in your puppies near 40 year old radio.

Decent video on how to install:

https://youtu.be/wi3L0XhHJK8

You will want to install two of them or one that does front and rear channels if you plan on amplifying both the front and rear speakers. This will allow you to utilize the fader on the head unit. If you want to install a subwoofer simply use a set of “Y” RCA cables so you can split the sound from either the front or rear channel depending on how you want the subwoofer to fad. I was always a fan of putting it with the front speakers.

Some of the newer amps have outputs on them to provide signal to a sub amp so the “Y”’s would not be necessary in that case.

Anyhow hope this helps and for the love of car audio ditch the factory head unit.

I agree about the factory head unit. The only reason I have not swapped it out is my car is a 30th anniversary bird with less than 20k miles. Speakers won’t be seen so I don’t mind changing them. CD changer in trunk again won’t be seen. Just trying to keep it stock appearance . I have considered a head unit that looks “period correct “ but I’m hesitant.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D