Skip to main content
Topic: 1987 kitty in sad shape (Read 792 times) previous topic - next topic

1987 kitty in sad shape

hi
i have a 1987 cougar xr7,which belive it or not was given to me,its in sad shape right now in need of some tlc for sure.
there is a little history about this car,my friend who had it knew of the person who bought it brand new,they passed away there kids sold it to him,which he has had it since the 90s.
about 2 years ago he let me borrow this car,my father was in the hospital with cancer,which by the way has gotten worse now he told me it was his spare use it as long as i needed.
i loved the way it drove not too crazy about the digital dash,but what the hey!.
a couple of days ago,this friend of mine calls me & tells me the cougar has a water leak & asked me if i can help him fix it i says sure so we went to look at it,oh i was in for a shock to say the least he had let his daughter & his son in law use it oh looks terrible now,the car had been sitting for 2 years i was the last to drive it.
for about a month now he has been having all kinds of stuff done to it,its had the top heads reworked all the seals-gaskets ect work done to it,new injectors put in it,new water pump with new themostat & housing.
new belts and some hoses,oil & filter has had new gas tank with gas pump filter & new gas lines put in,so the car has a bunch of stuff done to it.
the sad part now
the paint & clear coat is peeling this son in law took things off the car for the most part its still intact its missing nit-picking stuff,the dash pad is cracked all to hell back ,looks terrible nothing like it was 2 years ago.
everything still works ,even missing stuff.
i dont know what that kid was thinking!
also the window on the passenger side dont work now,what used to take a "bump" to start it,you have to now have to hit the starter 2 or 3 times before it starts.
i do know what little i have messed with it,its got a 5.0 engine in it,it runs good like it did some of this stuff i dont have a clue on how to fix it, i would like to be able to put it back like its supposed to be.
it still has owners manual belive it or not,i found it in the backseat floor board last night,i dont have any picts of it yet was dark last night the car has been trashed from stem to stern in it i am clean it out today before it rains as i say it looks terrible
when it gets more light going to take som picts of it its still early here so its not light enough
i do know know there is a junk yard not far from me that has 2 of these cars sitting, at least it a month ago.
i did a part of a restore job to a 68 mustang so i know kinda what i can or cant do, any info at this point would be helpful,thankx for the look
bmb