Skip to main content
Topic: Help! 7.5" Axle to 8.8" Trouble! (Read 59094 times) previous topic - next topic

Help! 7.5" Axle to 8.8" Trouble!

Reply #45
What about using axles & brakes from an '84 T-bird?  The axles are the same length as the '88 T-bird axles, but the wheel bearing surface is about 3/4" closer to the inner end, to match the bearing placement on the Mustang-length housing.  The drums are offset a similar amount to compensate for the brake shoes being closer to the center.

This places the wheel s at the standard T-bird position in the wheel well.  It does require the use of the 9" brakes, but mine ('88 T-bird with early '85 TC rear) seem to work about as well as the 10" ones did.

Reply #46
Went through the same problem when i swapped to a tc 8.8 and tried to keep the drums from the 7.5.I just cut the bracket off and used axles out of an 84 fairmont/ltd 7.5.No problems.

Reply #47
Wow, this is truely a dead horse, I did this exact swap in 2000 when no one knew. I used the u-pull-it Jyard as a tool, they are not too common unless you are in San Diego or LA. SO here is what I know. The 7.5 used in the T-bird/ Cougar is 1" wider than the conventional 8.8/7.5 from the fox body. I imagine it was due to a reason like tire width or placement for NASCAR (the cougar/bird is 1" wider front track too, this helps ride stability through turns, the rear is most likely 1" wider due to the front being 1" wider), but the MK VII used a different style all together (swaybar mounting and brake mounting /operation differences). Switching to an 8.8 from a Turbo Coupe is simple, just use mustang/ fairmont/ capri/ LTD axles to have the rearend fit together. Use the T-Bird backing plates and the large drums from the bird. If you want 5 lug use the passanger side axle for a aerostar and the drums from the aerostar, some equiped with larger drums to fit the bird backing plates. the 84-85 t-bird 7.5 is the same exact length as the 87-88 t-bird rearend (non TC) there are really only 2 axle lengths for midsize/pony cars (Long - Tbird/Cougar and Short -Everything else) Do not attempt to use Mk VII stuff cause it is too different, if there is no option measure the parts before pulling them and trying to use them and post the information on the board.

Reply #48
well, heres my question, if it turns out the housings are the same as a mustang, why not just swap it for that instead of going through all this troule mixing and matching.  not only that, i think its a given that there are many more mustang axles out there than turbo coupes.

Reply #49
yeah to follow up on my last post here, another guy at work had a spare stang axle assembly and i just swaped it out today.  its jsut the same as others have said, a little narrower, but it was jsut cheaper to do it this way i think.  plus, i noticed someone said you couldnt mount the 10" drums on the 8.8 housing, but you can cause i just kept them when i did it today.  i guess if you want discs though, but i figured id let everybody know what i was able to accomplish, maybe put down some rumors.

Reply #50
Digging up an old thread but it has some great info. Now my other dilema.. 85 Turbocoupe. It has an 8.8 in I think from backing plate to backing plate it measures 53.5 inches. The same width as the one from my 92 LX Mustang. The axles are definately longer than the Mustang. (been said a dozen times) When I bought axles from Moser I gave Greg the measurements of the axle that came out of the T-Bird. He said these are the same size as an SN95. I got them but in the 4 lug version. Later I swaped to 5 lug axles so the 4 lug was no longer needed. (anyone need em?) When I put SN 95 (5lug) replacements in the 8.8 I couldn't find a 5 lug drum for my 9.080 drum brakes. So to make due I used the ones from I think a Ranger truck. Yes, the drums were too shallow but I was able to go racing. Now while I have the engine apart I want to install disk brakes so I can spool the turbo on foot brake. What parts can I use to keep the same back spacing and run disk brakes. The back spacing is critical to me cause I run 15X10 Prostars w/ a 26X10 ET Street and 295-50's for street tires. Fits beautifully. I have been reading the forums for the last couple of hours doing searches and my head hurts...(yeah I know...wwaaaahhh) Anyway thanks for reading guys, great forum w/ a ton of info.

Uncleford
85 TurboCoupe. 306/DartSr's/Vic 5.0 Intake/B-25 Cam/Vortech YS trim/A9L Computer and Mustang Harness/ Pro M 77 MAF-50lb inj/TKO/15X10 Prostars/MMR Coilovers-90/10's-50/50's Chucks shock brackets/CHE Adjustable uppers/lowers. FR manual rack/steering shaft.

92 LX Coupe 306/Gen VII DFI/ No engine /TTI Race kit T-76/Comp cam/ 15X10 Prostars

Reply #51
SN-95 rear disks....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #52
So beating  a dead horse.. find an sn95 donor (v-6/v8) and get what off of it? Complete rear or just the brake parts? What about brake booster, MC and prop valve. (Chuck I think it would be easier for me to just call you. You seem to be answering all my posts) Thanks...
85 TurboCoupe. 306/DartSr's/Vic 5.0 Intake/B-25 Cam/Vortech YS trim/A9L Computer and Mustang Harness/ Pro M 77 MAF-50lb inj/TKO/15X10 Prostars/MMR Coilovers-90/10's-50/50's Chucks shock brackets/CHE Adjustable uppers/lowers. FR manual rack/steering shaft.

92 LX Coupe 306/Gen VII DFI/ No engine /TTI Race kit T-76/Comp cam/ 15X10 Prostars

Reply #53
If you already have 5-lug SN-95 axles in your housing, then you just need all the brake stuff from any SN-95 Mustang (V6 and GT are the same).  Rotors, calipers, brackets, hoses, lines. 
What are you doing for the fronts?
You can probably get by just fine with an adjustable prop valve and a MC from a Lincoln Mk6  (1980).  It as a 1" bore and is the same style as what's on the car now.  You could always swap to a later SN-95 MC/booster, but you will need to convert lines and such as the fittings are different.

Reply #54
Jegs has an adjustable prop valve for around 50 bucks.  I have one on my car and it does the job.  I have an 8.8 with lincoln rotors.  I used the original mc from my 84 5.0.  Just saying to ease worry if you choose not to change the m/c.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #55
Ok, I'm pulling this up, again, even though I already have a Mark VII rear setup (mark vii axels and brakes in my TC rear).  I like the added width I got with this setup, but I'm pretty much maxed out on the outside lip of my wheel/tires and I'm thinking about stepping up from 17x9's to 18x10's (gaining 2mm on the outside) and need to go back to a more narrow rear...

So, my question is for you, Chuck:

With SN axels, plates, brackets, rotors and calipers in my stock TC housing, would I be back to the stock 88 TC rear track width?
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #56
Quote from: booksix;195799

With SN axels, plates, brackets, rotors and calipers in my stock TC housing, would I be back to the stock 88 TC rear track width?

Yes

Reply #57
awesome!  Thanks
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #58
now ive read through this thread, and i need some clarification indeed stang axles are 3/4 shorter. that means the axels are about high 28"?

help me out im in need of axle scoolin.