Skip to main content
Topic: Original cars, owners, dospoogeentation (Read 66203 times) previous topic - next topic

Original cars, owners, dospoogeentation

Reply #150
My 1988 Sport was originally my mom's, bought in January 1988. She handed it down to me in April 2013. I still have the original window sticker, manufacturing tag bolted over the radiator, and all manuals, dospoogeentation, etc... Not sure of the build date but i'll do my research (probably on the sticker). Original sticker price was $17,000+ with options, not including the rust proof coating for the undercarriage that was done a few months later. All stock (still) except for the exhaust  http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/album.php?albumid=161

Reply #151
Wow, the car looks clean! Mom must have taken good care of it, now it's your turn.  Neat to have an original owner car. Thanks for posting.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #152
Those are really cool videos on the Ford lines. Notice how no one is smiling. As far as I hear, there were some unhappy folks there and don't like to talk about it much. Some bad injuries or something like that. Not clear on the exact reason.

You all have some really nice cars out there. Can definitely see the addiction about them in the detail taken to keep them looking good. Very cool everyone.

1985 factory stickers
X
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106

Reply #153
If I may add to all that has been said, there was controversy even in the day about what equipment constituted the Sport package. My '88 Sport was the last of the line, the ultimate iteration of the Fox bird. I c00ched it off the dealer's lot for $16k the day after I read in AutoWeek that the '89 would offer V6 or turbo V6 only. I think it is the real deal at least as far as 1988 specs. It has a leather covered console and stg. wheel that was different from the LX, 6 way power seats with leg bolster extensions, buttstuffog dash (85mph speedo from factory) and premium sound pkg (booster in trunk and equalizer above head unit). Automatic Climate Control. Engine is 5.0L roller block with forged pistons, small valve heads, small bore TB, cast iron manifolds and mild cam (not the HO). 8.8" trac-loc diff on 4-shock Mustang type mount, larger rear sway bar, huge tubular front sway bar, urethane suspension bushings, stiffer-than-LX springs, and distinctive 4-bolt aluminum wheels.
Over the years I have run several brands of high dollar gas struts. Upper strut mounts have been replaced with the XR-7 version which has locator pins to resist twisting forces. Nobody makes H rated tires in 225/75 R-14 any more so I run T/As and hope for the best. Could go to 15 or 16 inch wheels, but that would disrupt the fine degree of engineering that went into building a car suitable for spinning donuts in a gravel parking lot before jumping the curb with the tires spinning! It really was a well thought out package, the only mod I did right away was put a dimmer resistor in the Hi-beam indicator circuit. Out on a desert highway at night, it was too bright.

Reply #155
Quote from: rodsterh;420124
While looking under the car I remembered seeing this tag on the oil pan. Not sure what it means?

3K328AA

3 = 1983 model year
K = Thermactor emissions
328 = 5.0L V8 engine
AA = calibration and revision level AA

Reply #156
Thanks for solving that mystery!!! :)
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #157
rodsterh, I see that you got a Marti report on your car. Do you mind telling the cost of the report? Herbsbird

Reply #158
Herbsbird,
Just checked the site and it looks like $46 for the deluxe. I believe that's what I paid, plus I paid the extra $4 to have a printed copy sent.
Rod
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #159
FYI, they are making replacement door tags now as well for our cars.....

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #160
Adding my Marti report just for fun. I'm the second owner of my Thunderbird. My dad's cousin bought it new.X

88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #161
Thanks for sharing, I enjoy checking out Marti reports. Your car is pretty unique being 1 of 106 with that paint/trim combo. Looks like the car sat during the winter before your dad's cousin bought it.

You should post a picture of your car here too so we can see the car the Marti belongs to.

Thanks!
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #162
Quote from: rodsterh;450599
Thanks for sharing, I enjoy checking out Marti reports. Your car is pretty unique being 1 of 106 with that paint/trim combo. Looks like the car sat during the winter before your dad's cousin bought it.

You should post a picture of your car here too so we can see the car the Marti belongs to.

Thanks!

Added pictures to the original post.

Oddly enough my dad's cousin didn't buy the car at Drew Ford. She purchased it new at Santa Monica Ford in Santa Monica, CA. The car must have been part of a dealer trade.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #163
Looks good!  Thanks for the picture to go with the Marti report.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #164
Great piece of early 83 TBird dospoogeentation from a set of seats being sold on ebay!

1FA = Ford vehicle manufactured in USA
B = active belts, no airbags
P = passenger car
46 = Thunderbird 2-dr sedan
3 = 3.8L V6 engine
0 = VIN check digit
D = 1983 model year
H = Lorain Assembly
100058 = 58th 1983 Ford scheduled for production at Lorain Assembly

0051 = trim & chassis assembly line rotations #0051
S = Thunderbird model line
63D = Thunderbird 2-door sedan
9D = Polar White exterior paint color
DD = cloth & vinyl seating, low-back bucket (1st D), Dark Red interior trim color (2nd D)
T = test vehicle order type

3 = 3.8L V6 engine
T = AOD transmission
A = automatic air conditioner
DJ520BA = 1983 model year (D), 49-state Thermactor emissions (J), 3.8L engine (520), calibration level B, revision level A
E3SP BA = auto trans (P) originally engineered for 1983 (E3) Thunderbird (S), release level BA
S = power seat
2 = low-back front buckets
D = Dark Red seat belts

W = interval windshield wipers
E = electric rear defroster
R = AM/FM stereo radio w/ cassette
X = premium sound system
V = light group
T = tinted glass

DA = regular duty battery
V462A = Van puppies axle plant (V), 28-spline 3.08 non-locking differential (462A)

19575R4 = P195/75R14 tires
W = white sidewalls
S = speed (cruise) control

X
tbirdregistry.com