Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8/4.2L Split Port Swap into a Fox (Read 48917 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8/4.2L Split Port Swap into a Fox

Reply #45
FPDM didn't arrive from MPS, so no chance of it running this weekend even if we get everything else sorted out. Ordered it Wednesday, should have arrived yesterday/today. :mad:

4R70W from gumby arrived today! :D Thanks! No more red sea when I put the tranny back in.

Current status for this evening. Tranny/Engine mated after a bit of head scratching. Turns out the converter wasn't mated/keyed into the tranny so the converter-to-flexplate studs bottomed out on the engine block plate. Once we took it all apart, problem located and solved.

Ready to slap it in tomorrow, figure out the crossmember modding required, and figure out wiring.

Reply #46
technically, with an 88 engine wouldn't one simply be able to swap heads, upper and lower intake in and be done with it? Or am I WAY oversimplifying things?

I know you don't have an 88 but I'm just saying...

BTW, the plastic intakes on windstars were definitely from at least 96 and later b/c I had a 1995 windstar a few years ago and it had the exact same (upper at least) intake that the 88-98 cougarbirds/mustangs had. (although it may have been ported a little bigger)

I talked to a guy today who has an 03 v6 mustang and he swapped out for the plastic windstar intake and said he gained over 20hp just from that. Of course, that was after headers and x-pipe and flowmasters.

I think you'll definitely wanna look into that mod though. :D

Another funny thing, when I swapped my engines, when I pulled my original out, I already had taken 90% of everything off it. What got me was that even though it was an 88 engine, there was no internal balancer. The new one had one though, but it was a long block, so I reused my external balancer from the old one. And I'll tell you what, I didn't notice a bit of problem with the either block far as balancing, so that might not really be a big deal at all. I think that's why Ford took it out the next year. Cause it was useless.

Also Jeremy, which year's engine did you actually end up getting?
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #47
Quote from: sarjxxx;323549
technically, with an 88 engine wouldn't one simply be able to swap heads, upper and lower intake in and be done with it? Or am I WAY oversimplifying things?

I know you don't have an 88 but I'm just saying...

That may work, but I haven't looked into the feasibility of it. 

Quote from: sarjxxx
BTW, the plastic intakes on windstars were definitely from 96 and later b/c I had a 1995 windstar a few years ago and it had the exact same (upper at least) intake that the 88-93/4/5/6/7ish? cougarbirds had. (although it may have been ported a little bigger)

I think you'll definitely wanna look into that mod though. :D

Not sure the plastic Windstar intakes will fit under the hood, so I don't think I'll be going that route. The extra power would be nice though.
Also Jeremy, which year's engine did you actually end up getting?

Update:

We got the engine/transmission situated Saturday.
Crossmember fit after zizzing the spot welds and sliding it back to the AOD position.
Driveshaft may not need shortening. Will try and get under the car to verify that next week.
Grabbed a Z-shaped heater hose and two 90 degree hoses to hook up the heater hoses. No issues there.
Upper radiator hose on the radiator side needs to be shortened ~2" to fit.
Lower radiator hose hits the belt between the crank pulley and power steering pump. 2002 hose may work, but the 2002 radiator is 1.5" inlet, 1985 is 1.25".
Stock fuel line is female duckbill. 2002 fuel line is male springlock. Option 1 is to build a braided teflon line with pimpy adapter fittings to hook to the fuel filter (duckbill) and engine fuel line (springlock). Would run ~$140.
Option 2 is to have a shop build a line with like-stock parts. Cost unknown.
Had quite a bit of scope creep wrt the wiring. Original idea was to just kludge together any wires needed to get it running.
New idea is to buy the power/dash/body harness from a 2002 Mustang and mate everything under the dash. This means all wiring firewall forward is "new". Body harness will allow easy wiring of the FPDM and EVAP system at the back of the car. Also provides wiring for the ABS sensors (if I decide to add that).
Overall it will make for a much cleaner harness, but with much more work.

That's all I can remember for now. I'll post some pictures when I get home next week.

Reply #48
I was kinda just wondering cause I was considering swapping the heads and all into mine.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #49
Pictars

Trying to mate the tranny and engine up. When we tightened the flexplate to converter nuts, the flexplate stud would bottom out on the block plate. After several failed attempts we pulled the two apart and found  that the converter pulled forward and slipped off of the input shaft. Durrrr. :o

Is it gonna fit?

The engine leveler was invaluable

Took a page out of the mod motor guy's handbook and pre-oiled the engine by hooking up a garden sprayer filled with oil to the pressure sender port.

Like a glove!
Thought we'd have to cut'n'weld. But it fits by the skin of its teeth.

Props to gumby's old 4R70W yoke that kept my garage floor from turning into a lake of ATF. :D

The wholesale installation of SN95 wiring is very daunting. I am considering rigging* it up to get it to run so I can build up a head of steam for the final push.

*build fuel line, wire up OBD-II, flash ECU, and wire up FPDM with straight pipes on the exhaust
and wire up the alternator, and wire up the starter, swap battery to driver's side, etc, etc :(

Reply #50
Outstanding work my good man!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #51
yay for updates! keep after it, its lookin good.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #52
alright!
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #53
Sweet. This is looking good.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #54
Hello-llo-lo-o-[SIZE="2"]o[/SIZE]-[size="1"]o[/size]?

hehe ;)

Reply #55
x2!  :D
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #56
using a sprayer to do what?????????????????

thats a friggin good idea!!

when do you know to stop? when you see oil coming out the top of a push rod? or what?

Reply #57
Last Activity
    09-16-2010 05:15 PM

I think something may have hapened. Either he forgot about us or lost his internet. hopefully not something worse....
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #58
I have talked to him more recently than that, he is alive.

Reply #59
ah good good then he must have become sidetracked?
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L