Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8/4.2L Split Port Swap into a Fox (Read 48802 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8/4.2L Split Port Swap into a Fox

Reply #15
sorry to babble so much here jeremy, Let us know which direction you go.

Reply #16
Much info here:

http://www.babpen 15s.com/editorial/ar/ar90134.htm

IF I ever get the opportunity to do it: 
83-86 Tbird 3.8 V6 AOD car:

Add to that:
Truck 4.2 longblock w/ 97computer for manual transmission.  That way I can mount it to an AOD and use a return style fuel system.
A bigger issue for me will be wiring up the dash and A/C differences.  Are ANY of the senders from an EEC-V system compatible with a dash from an EEC-IV system?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #17
What I think would be neat to do would be to have the 4.2 internals...in a 3.8SC block...
But in an '88 Tbird...I mean...we ALL want to be blown AND stroked, right?? :D :flame:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #18
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;152025
What I think would be neat to do would be to have the 4.2 internals...in a 3.8SC block...
But in an '88 Tbird...I mean...we ALL want to be blown AND stroked, right?? :D :flame:

holly snitts,, why didnt i think of that!

Reply #19
lol.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #20
Quote from: jcassity;152005
sorry to babble so much here jeremy, Let us know which direction you go.

Any relevant information is good information for the thread.

I've been recovering from surgeries and complications from said procedures for the past 6 months, so I won't be making much physical progress any time soon.

Reply #21
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;146136
Excellent info. I've always wondered if a mass-air V6 computer would work with split port. Obviously you'd need one from a DIS car (such as Super Coupe or 94-95 Mustang) as a distributor would never work with an SPI intake. The IRCM system would obviously have to be removed as well...

the 94-95 mustangs are eec-v with a return style fuel system. imo the 94-95 3.8 are junk 3 sets of headgaskets in 5 yrs.
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

Reply #22
Made some progress last weekend. Old engine and transmission are out.  New engine is in for test fitment.

Random findings:

Broken alternator mount

Visibly loose bolt on the oil pump

O2 signal return wire missing insulation

Also, the NVH weight on the transmission tailshaft was broken, but I've lost my camera-to-computer cable.

Pulling the old stuff went pretty smoothly except for a rounded starter bolt and transmission removal.

Upsie-daisy

Freeeee

NOT how you want to remove a tranny w/o a plug in the rear...

[Ace Ventura]Like a glove!

After I bought the SP engine and did some preliminary measuring I was worried the rear plane of the upper intake might hit the firewall and would definitely hit the discharge hose (although it will be removed eventually) and the vacuum bracket. It ended up fitting perfectly.

I still need to remove all the old vacuum lines and engine harness. Once completed I can begin figuring out exactly how to re-wire and integrate the new harness.

Reply #23
awesome.

Reply #24
I hope your dospoogeenting this besides this thread.

Im interested in the resources you got on wiring, evtm or something?

You should really go electric fan to ,, wont hurt anything.

GOOD JOB BTW,, finally someone is doing it.  That 4 eyed never saw this coming!!!

what freaking color are those CFI injectors anyway?

time to take away your paper clip code puller,,lol

Reply #25
[SIZE="6"]I
Hate
You[/SIZE]

:hick:

Looks good!  Keep it comin'
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #26
very cool, I would like to see how it moves out when it is done....

Reply #27
Quote from: jcassity;232348
I hope your dospoogeenting this besides this thread.

Just mental notes so far. Once I get further along I'll post up solutions to the roadblocks I've found.

Im interested in the resources you got on wiring, evtm or something?

I bought the 2002 Helm wiring manual.

You should really go electric fan to ,, wont hurt anything.

I'm going to put in an MN12 fan controlled by a DC fan controller.

what freaking color are those CFI injectors anyway?

Advance Auto specials that I installed after I clogged the inlet filter in my OEM pair.

time to take away your paper clip code puller,,lol

Ho-ray for the ability to read engine outputs in real time w/o putting a BoB in!

Reply #28
What's the best way to get the engine/tranny in the car?

I was planning to remove the front clip, and install the engine/tranny together with all accessories on the engine. Will that work? Any tips?

Also, I need some kind of programmer to kill PATS/EVAP/Rear O2s/etc. SCT looks like a good buy, but I'm not sure which product is what I need. Also, will I need to get a "tune" by a third party to turn on/off those scalars? (unless I have the Pro Racer Package)

Reply #29
I would pull the side accesories like you did in the first pic, and I would just pull it all out at the same time. I did it with a 5.0 and an AOD, I didn't even remove the ac condenser radiator thingy. I cant remember how much of the front accessories I pulled off though.

I know it will fit with the water pump, oil pan, and timing chian cover.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com