Skip to main content
Topic: E-Brake cable questions *SOLVED* If you're swapping a TC rear in, READ THIS! (Read 25017 times) previous topic - next topic

E-Brake cable questions *SOLVED* If you're swapping a TC rear in, READ THIS!

Reply #15
I wanted to add this for any current or future car guy adding bigger rear disks to their car. I've been running around for awhile with no park brake cables since I changed over to the 8.8 disk setup. Well, as luck would have it, I got nailed this time around on my state inspection as they found it wasn't functional. Ok, no big problem I say. I remembered this post and the 90 lincoln mark cables I needed. So I purchase the cables and everything installs without a hitch. No lenghtening of any brackets or adjusters needed. Of course when any project goes that easy something bites you in the end. In my case the cables are tight against the tire. So I'm reciting every cuss word known to man for about an hour when the light bulb in my head comes on. I installed the Baer 13.25" rear disk upgrade awhile back and because the bracket in the kit pushes the caliper further out, it does not allow enough slack in the cable to clamp it to the control arm. So to help alleviate any headaches for anyone else who might consider an upgrade, I posted what I'm going to do to help fix the problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://www.fquick.com/slicksport88
88 Sport - 5.0HO, Mass Air, A9L, 73mm C&L meter, BBK CAI, 255 lph pump, 1.7 roller rockers,Professional Products damper, Chuck W motor mounts, BBK shorties & H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 8.8 rear w/3.27's, 93 Cobra M/C, BAER 13in. drilled/slotted rotors front and back, cobra calipers, Russell braided brake lines front & back, C/C plates, 03cobra rims, 255/40/17 Nitto 555's all around

Reply #16
Remaining pics.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://www.fquick.com/slicksport88
88 Sport - 5.0HO, Mass Air, A9L, 73mm C&L meter, BBK CAI, 255 lph pump, 1.7 roller rockers,Professional Products damper, Chuck W motor mounts, BBK shorties & H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 8.8 rear w/3.27's, 93 Cobra M/C, BAER 13in. drilled/slotted rotors front and back, cobra calipers, Russell braided brake lines front & back, C/C plates, 03cobra rims, 255/40/17 Nitto 555's all around

Reply #17
So you mean to tell me that i just can't take every bolt on bracket and all the cables from an 87 t.c. and transfer all to an 84 t-bird ????? i have transfered it all but have not hooked it up under the driver's seat area yet???? on the t.c. the passenger cables goes across this flat peice of steel back toward the rear end. where did you run yours without being in the way of the exhuast ?????

Reply #18
Quote from: Jim_Miller;144632
Same set up I used, I was able to get them all together just moving the adjusating nut all the way out (I used cables from the 84 Mark VII) diden't have to cut or weld anything.

HOWEVER I havent got the brakes all together yet to know for sure if it's going to work or if I'm missing something.
Cobra master has showed up so hope to get it together this weekend.

I did mine today,I didn't have to cut anything either,just backed off the ajuster.But I did run into the problem with the cable rubbing the tire.I removed the mount where the cable hooked into and rewelded it so it fit better.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #19
There must be some differences, either in the aftermarket cables or the mounting brackets on these cars, because I did have to add some length as outlined above, but I had absolutely no issues with the cables being near the tires. In fact I had to zip-tie 'em to the lower control arms because they were almost too long in that respect. My cable ends were different than the ball end that Slicksport shows, too - mine were simple lugs on the cables. I'll have to get some pics...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #20
I remember grabbing a spring with a hook from a car that keep the cable off the tire. I have to look for that I think I know where it is
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #21
The '91'-92 parking cables are .75" longer, with a 3" longer sheath. My crude measurements shows the sheath length is as the ragged edge of working, however the extra total length should eliminate linkage modifications.

Will the 3" extra inches of sheath restrict the cable from retracting properly at the caliper?

Early Cable

Late Cable

Reply #22
Nope. The sheath is longer, but when installed the distance between the sheath holder thingy on the caliper and the point where the end of the cable attaches on the lever will be the same. The sheath length will be taken up at the other (forward) end, which is likely why I didn't have to relocate the cable mounting lugs on my car and why the tire did not touch the cable. It might also be why I had to add some length...

*Edit* I just noticed I had said '90 Mark VII cables in my earlier post. Must've been '91 cables, because they were the same as the "late" cable Jeremy shows
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #23
I used the 90 mark cable,but did make them work.I made new holders for the rear mount to change the angle.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #24
I wonder what I did? I think I just rerouted the cable sheath, then I may have fed through a different cable - not sure - which I cut to length and terminated using cable stops to get the length correct. I may also have used a different sheath - man, I can't remember it's been so long.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #25
Just got my e-brakes installed after 6 months, for some reason I ordered the '90 cables, but I made them work. On the '00 Mustang rear axle/brakes I have, the tines on the caliper end don't go all the way through the bracket, but is so far holding nicely. I Did have to hog out the hole in the bracket about .025" .Ended up cutting the U-Bracket off(Early cable, pic above), and making new couplers out of 5/8" Pipe. Apparently I forgot that there is an adjuster to play with  :D 

I also relocated the mounts for the chassis back about 4" to get the housing to curve correctly so as to clear the tire. Pics later!
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #26
I guess I just took the easy way out.... I used the full set of cables from a 87/88 TC
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

Reply #27
Nothing wrong with that, and I snagged the cables when I got my rear.

But...ya can't get 'em new anymore...so when they seize up... :hick:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #28
I looked for TC cables for several years in the yards and every single one I went to grab were either rusted or torched from some dingbat that cut the rear out of the car when it was in the JY
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #29
I just put these on our cougar. I want to say thanks for researching this. I used Brakeware #C10132 purchased from Autozone for a 91 Lincoln Mark 7. I did not have to do any cutting or spicing to anything. Cable adjustment nut is on by 1 nut width (no extra thread sticking out to loosen).
Our web page

02 Explorer XLT 4.0L
04 F150 FX4 Supercrew 5.4L
02 Saturn SL1 1.9L
09 Vstar 950 Tourer