Skip to main content
Topic: Looking for a complete 87-88 5.0 Motor and Trans (Read 963 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for a complete 87-88 5.0 Motor and Trans

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a 87-88 Cougar/Thunderbird driveline in good shape to swap into my 88 V6 Cougar. I'm not looking to race this car or even fast for that matter and don't realistically have time to do anything other than a direct swap so a standard engine/trans and all associated wiring would be ideal. I'm in southern PA.

Thanks!
1988 Mercury Cougar LS
5.0HO + T5 Swap + Suspension/Brake Mods

Reply #1
You're also going to need:
Mounts and brackets (hard to find)

V8 fuel lines (or else cut and hack yours to fit)

Exhaust from said V8 car, or else Mustang shorty headers, and a Mustang H or X pipe, with custom exhaust put on (Mustangs are shorter wheelbase..)

Depending on whether you do Mass air or keep it speed density (i'd stay SD since you say you don't have time to mod it right now), you're going to also need the HO EEC, in your case, an "SD1" or even one from a Linc Mark 7 will do nicely.

You'll also want an '87-8 TbirdCougar 5.0 O2 sensor harness, the Mustang counterpart will ruin the EEC..something about the wiring is different, and I honestly couldn't say what that diff is. See Claude's EEC thread for pertinent info on that. He can look at an EVTM and see the big picture...I just get headaches and want to burn the world when I try LOL.

Other than that, it's rather easy, if you have a jack, an engine hoist, and the space/time to do it.

Since you're starting with a 3.8 car, it's a little more involved..this isn't your daily driver, I presume?

And before anyone else says it, have you considered just finding a V8 car to start with, either a donor or better yet, a complete, running driving car that's nice enough to keep?

A whole donor car, even if it doesn't run will set you ahead, save for the HO eec, but as I said, those are easily found and fairly cheap. I don't have any more, or I'd just give you one.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #3
Yeah, you'll want the engine harness and O2 harness from that car, and the engine mounts and the brackets that go with them. Fuel lines, too, if you could manage.

The 5.0 fuel lines come out of the passenger side fender area, toward the front, just like an EFI Fox Mustang. The V6 cars with efi the fuel lines come out over by the driver's side. Some have used a 5.0 EFI truck fuel rail but I can't offer any more on that as I've never dug into it. I forgot to add, make sure you grab the fuel rail and injector harness that was on (or hopefully still is!) the 5.0 you're swapping in. The injector harness is "plug n play" with with the Tbird engine harness.

As for the engine harness itself, it's vehicle specific, one from a Mustang will not work without some work, it can be done but if there's a car being parted, I'd simply buy the proper stuff first.

Feel free to ask any questions, there's gonna be headaches, but we can be your tylenol LOL.

Here's some further reading to help you:
https://www.coolcats.net/modifying/ho_transplant.html
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
I am parting one out right now that has just what you need and I am in Northern Virginia about 45 minutes from D.C. $500 for motor and trans. I have all you need to make it happen. Motor has 74,000 miles and the AOD is a Jasper unit that was a replacement. I am guessing conservatively that the trans probably has 20,000 to 25,000 miles  on it.

Reply #5
Wow, I can see by your I.D.s that you guys are not that far apart in distance !

I would have been there yesterday, If I needed that motor combination !

Too many original motors got chucked, they are so hard to find.
Original 1988 Cougar XR7 owner 200,000 miles and counting.

Reply #6
Why is the HO ECC needed as opposed to taking the ECC from the donor vehicle?
1988 Mercury Cougar LS
5.0HO + T5 Swap + Suspension/Brake Mods

Reply #7
You only need the HO eec if you are converting to an HO engine.
One 88