Skip to main content
Topic: I think a driver's window clip finally went.... (Read 2541 times) previous topic - next topic

I think a driver's window clip finally went....

So last night I took the Thunderbird out for it's last ride of the season. Topped off the tank, added some Stabil, and drove around for 20 minutes to circulate the Stabil through the fuel system. So when I got back home I rolled the driver's side window down (it was about 39* out) before backing into the garage. When I went to roll the window up I noticed it went up about half way and stopped. I could roll it back down fine, but it would only go half way up. I looked closer and, even though the window went up horizontally level, the rear of the glass was popping out of the rear part of the window channel, causing it to jam half way up. I was able, with light pressure, to pop the back of the window into the channel and then it went the rest of the way up fine. I rolled the window up and down several times with the same result after figuring out the "pop it back in trick".

So does this sound like the infamous window clip glue issue? If so I'm guessing the rear clip let go, which is causing the window to shift around on the channel. The window worked fine all summer so I'm pretty sure I can safely assume that the window regulator/channel is fine. From the searching I've done on here either ultra black RTV or 3M window adhesive is recommended as a fix.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
If it is the clips would this stuff work as an adhesive?
https://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/windshield-repair/permatex-tube-flowable-silicone-windshield-and-glass-sealer/552992_0_0
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Clean and lube everything up.

Personally, I'd use black windshield adhesive. You can get it in a small bottle. Rough up surfaces with sand paper, clean it, set glue and let it sit to dry. Needs to be room temp for the glue to work though.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
You're talking about this stuff correct? http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/107695O/3mtm-super-fast-urethane-08609.pdf

If it is the clips looks like I'll have to wait till spring to do the fix. It doesn't work below 40* and it's going to be hard to get several days where outside temperatures stay above that.

I'm also not a huge fan of taking the Turbo Coupe/LX style door panels apart multiple times.....

I may try a grab a video of what it's doing in the next day or so.

Reply #4
Made a video: https://youtu.be/UCNvMzYmO3E

After I shot this I popped the belt line molding off to see inside the door. It looks like the window is securely glued to the clips. I can grab the window when it's half way up and shift it forward and backward, and also towards the outside of the door. The window doesn't lift off the clips at all. I'll try and get around to pulling the door panel tomorrow to take a peak inside. It appears to be some kind of track/lift issue rather than the clips.

Reply #5
Can't watch the video at work, ill get back to it.

Clean everything up really gpod and re-grease it. It will make a world of difference.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #6
Well the window clips were fine. The front part of the window track was slightly bent. https://youtu.be/Yil_v_fXBaQ

Best I can figure is the body shop didn't get it quite right when they reinstalled it after paint. Cold weather or just time finally caused an issue. It's fixed now though.

Reply #7
Glad it was a simple fix.  My clips went several times.... finally cleaned glass and scuffed up with sandpaper.  Clips from the HELP section cross drilled holes and JB Weld.  Have been holding for years now.  Now I say it, you know what follows..:punchballs:
Mike

Reply #8
I'm glad it wan't the clips. I wasn't looking forward to repairing them. The only hard part of this repair was removing the multiple pieces that makes up the LX/Turbo Coupe style door :hick:.

Reply #9
if ever those clips do break,, my son's did.  you buy the assorment pack at napa.  it will have 4 clips ,, 2 pairs universal for chevy.

for some reason if you buy the assorment pack designated for chevy, you get a pair of ford styles you need. 

i suggest buying them now and putting them back,  they should be discontinued soon i fear. 

if you buy the assortment pack for ford, none of them match your bird/coug... just sayin.

Reply #10
The dodge universal window clips are longer and deeper. I used them with no issue. Usually on the shelf in the help section of AutoZone.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #11
Quote from: jcassity;464281
if ever those clips do break,, my son's did.  you buy the assorment pack at napa.  it will have 4 clips ,, 2 pairs universal for chevy.

for some reason if you buy the assorment pack designated for chevy, you get a pair of ford styles you need. 

i suggest buying them now and putting them back,  they should be discontinued soon i fear. 

if you buy the assortment pack for ford, none of them match your bird/coug... just sayin.

They're used on a ton of GM products, so I don't think they will be discontinued for a long time. You can also buy a 4 pack with just the ones we need,

What kills me is I remember having aluminum ones, but I can't remember from where. It's been 13 or 14 years since I used the aluminum ones.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #12
the wifes chevy citation had alum ones ,,, and also the clip itself was bolted through the glass.  Our kia sportage and kia sephia has bolted through the glass fittings as well.

Reply #13
Quote from: jcassity;464444
the wifes chevy citation had alum ones ,,, and also the clip itself was bolted through the glass.  Our kia sportage and kia sephia has bolted through the glass fittings as well.

Why do you know this about the Kias? I think maybe you have been watching too much automotive reality television! You DO NOT need to completely disassemble a car as soon as it rolls into the garage!  :)