Skip to main content
Topic: reproduction 93 Cobra wheels (Read 3580 times) previous topic - next topic

reproduction 93 Cobra wheels

Does anyone know how the fitment is on the 93 Mustang Cobra reproduction wheels Late Model Restoration sells? https://lmr.com/item/WK-1007RSRL/mustang-93-cobra-wheel-kit-silver-4-lug-7993

I'm considering swapping to a set of 93 Cobra wheels and 245/45/17 tires in the next year or so. With the power and suspension modifications I've done it's pretty easy to overwhelm the 225/55/16 tires on TC Snowflake wheels I currently run. The 93 Cobra wheel is the only thing I can find that looks kind of factory correct and allows for larger tires. Plus I'm pretty sure I can use Snowflake center caps in them.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
Are you dead set against a 5 lug swap? I love the look of the '94 CObra wheel on a 'Bird. A shagier wheel doesn't exist. ("stock", anyway)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
If you can find another set (2) of the snowflakes just have them widened.  Weldcraft has done a few...

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #3
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;462124
Are you dead set against a 5 lug swap? I love the look of the '94 CObra wheel on a 'Bird. A shagier wheel doesn't exist. ("stock", anyway)

I spent $300 on 31 spline Moser 4 lug axles. So no 5 lug swap for now. Plus I may want to run the stock 14" wheels and wire hubcaps for show purposes one day. So it really looks stock with the hood shut ;) I'm going to be converting from 2.5" Fox Mustang LX tail pipes to 2.5" Fox Mustang GT tail pipes to tuck them up like stock.

I really, really want the sleeper effect.

Quote from: Aerocoupe;462125
If you can find another set (2) of the snowflakes just have them widened.  Weldcraft has done a few...

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com

I'm not sure widening upfront would work. I'm thinking the larger 17" wheels would not only allow for better traction in a straight line but also help handling/road holding as well. I'm planning on installing a Maximum Motorsports panhard bar in the spring: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Panhard-Bar-1979-98-Mustang-P480.aspx
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
Still 10" discs up front? Cause 14" rims wont fit over 11" brakes.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
10 inch discs up front, 10 inch drums in the back (88 XR7 8.8 axle). So yes, the stock 14 inch wheels still fit.

At some point I'll probably upgrade to 11 inch front brakes. I just need to pick up some 87 to 93 V8 Mustang front spindles.

Reply #6
Or TC spindles. I've a set here. No use for 'em. Let me know. :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #7
I see your point on the 16" vs. the 17" but you need to address those anemic brakes before you go any faster.  Ask Vinnie how he likes his 11" fronts and TC rear brakes and after talking with him do your brakes first and then start looking for wheels.

So here are the original 93 Cobra Wheel specs:

1993 Cobra Wheel Specs:
RH: F3ZZ-1007-A
LH: F3ZZ-1007-B
17x7.5
Offset = 1.61" or 40.9mm
Backspace = 5.9"
Bolt Pattern = 4 X 4.25"

LMR's Wheels:
RH: LRS-1007RSR
LH: LRS-1007RSL
17x8.5
Offset = 26mm
Backspace = 5.72"
Bolt Pattern = 4 X 4.25"

So LMR's Cobra wheels will not fit a 93 Cobra due to that car using the TC rear which is 0.75" wider per side than a stock Fox Mustang 8.8 rear.  The front rotors on a 93 Cobra a specific to that car as well in that the rotor hats are 0.75" wider than a stock 87-93 V8 car rotor.  This was done so that all the wheels had the same offset so they could be rotated.

So with all of that said it looks like the LMR wheels have about the same backspacing however the rim will move outward about an inch.  If you compare the two wheels with a 245/40/17 tire then you will actually only move the outer wall of the tire about 0.6" outward.  This makes sense on an 87-93 Mustang being their rear end and front rotor hats are about 0.75" narrower than the Cobra.  Figured all this out here:

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Hope that helps.

Reply #8
^Darren's info should be stockpiled somewhere. Kudos to your research, as well.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
X2. Im almost afraid to post anything suspension related. Usually look pretty dumb after his posts.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #10
Quote from: thunderjet302;462133
10 inch discs up front, 10 inch drums in the back (88 XR7 8.8 axle). So yes, the stock 14 inch wheels still fit.

At some point I'll probably upgrade to 11 inch front brakes. I just need to pick up some 87 to 93 V8 Mustang front spindles.

if you want my set of v8 spindles you can have them for the price of shipping
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Reply #11
Quote from: Aerocoupe;462147
I see your point on the 16" vs. the 17" but you need to address those anemic brakes before you go any faster.  Ask Vinnie how he likes his 11" fronts and TC rear brakes and after talking with him do your brakes first and then start looking for wheels.

So here are the original 93 Cobra Wheel specs:

1993 Cobra Wheel Specs:
RH: F3ZZ-1007-A
LH: F3ZZ-1007-B
17x7.5
Offset = 1.61" or 40.9mm
Backspace = 5.9"
Bolt Pattern = 4 X 4.25"

LMR's Wheels:
RH: LRS-1007RSR
LH: LRS-1007RSL
17x8.5
Offset = 26mm
Backspace = 5.72"
Bolt Pattern = 4 X 4.25"

So LMR's Cobra wheels will not fit a 93 Cobra due to that car using the TC rear which is 0.75" wider per side than a stock Fox Mustang 8.8 rear.  The front rotors on a 93 Cobra a specific to that car as well in that the rotor hats are 0.75" wider than a stock 87-93 V8 car rotor.  This was done so that all the wheels had the same offset so they could be rotated.

So with all of that said it looks like the LMR wheels have about the same backspacing however the rim will move outward about an inch.  If you compare the two wheels with a 245/40/17 tire then you will actually only move the outer wall of the tire about 0.6" outward.  This makes sense on an 87-93 Mustang being their rear end and front rotor hats are about 0.75" narrower than the Cobra.  Figured all this out here:

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Hope that helps.

So it looks like the LMR 93 Cobra reproduction wheels will stick out past the fender lip? Screw that noise.

Reply #12
I would say no. The reason I say that is on a 93 Cobra the front rotor hats are 0.75" wider than the rotors on our cars. So if if you were to install a 93 Cobra wheel on the front of one of our cars it would move inward 0.75".

As for the rear, I believe these wheels will fit for these reasons:
1) I have seen the TC Snowflake wheels on a Fox Mustang
2) Snowflake wheels fit our cars
3) LMR Cobra Wheels fit a Fox Mustang

So play around with known wheels (diameter, width, offset, etc.) that fit our cars on that link I posted and see what you think. I'm pretty sure that we have the room for these wheels but I have not bolted a set up so I'm not 100% sure.

Reply #13
Quote from: Aerocoupe;462184
I would say no. The reason I say that is on a 93 Cobra the front rotor hats are 0.75" wider than the rotors on our cars. So if if you were to install a 93 Cobra wheel on the front of one of our cars it would move inward 0.75".

As for the rear, I believe these wheels will fit for these reasons:
1) I have seen the TC Snowflake wheels on a Fox Mustang
2) Snowflake wheels fit our cars
3) LMR Cobra Wheels fit a Fox Mustang

So play around with known wheels (diameter, width, offset, etc.) that fit our cars on that link I posted and see what you think. I'm pretty sure that we have the room for these wheels but I have not bolted a set up so I'm not 100% sure.

Eh, I picked up some real nice ROH wheels that fit perfect on a mustang, but rub on the lip of my fenders just barely.
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Reply #14
Front or rear? What's the diameter, width, and offset? What size tires?