Skip to main content
Topic: question about fuel. (Read 1140 times) previous topic - next topic

question about fuel.

is there a way to adjust the fuel pressure regulator to make a car run leaner then rich without going back to a stock inline fuel pump?
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

question about fuel.

Reply #1
do you mean from in the car or something?
the stock fuel pressure regulator is adjustable.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

question about fuel.

Reply #2
no i mean from the engine bay is it easy to adjust the stock fuel pressure regulator on a cfi setup? so i wont soak my spark plugs with gas anymore. because it fine running rich when i use nitrous but other times its not good.
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

question about fuel.

Reply #3
Knock down your fuel pressure and get a wet system.  Problem solved.

What kinda times does that thing run?

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

question about fuel.

Reply #4
Quote from: blackcougar71;292745
no i mean from the engine bay is it easy to adjust the stock fuel pressure regulator on a cfi setup? so i wont soak my spark plugs with gas anymore. because it fine running rich when i use nitrous but other times its not good.

your question got a perfect answer.  the stock CFI FPR is adjustable.

your running nitrous on a 3.8?

question about fuel.

Reply #5
the nitrous setup i have is a wet system. yeah i'm running nitrous on a 3.8 stroked to a 4.2 what wrong with that. its also cheaper than a turbo or supercharger setup. i not a fan of being like everyone else with a 5.0's in every tbird or cougar they own.

question about fuel.

Reply #6
Supercharger would be alot cheaper then nitrous in the long run. A turbo would be even better. I would really like to see more of your build. Its rare to hear anything about it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

question about fuel.

Reply #7
which way do i turn the fuel pressure regulator to decrease pressure?

question about fuel.

Reply #8
ccw

1 turn = approx 2 psi

the ratio of turns to psi is not linear but in the mid range as you have now with about 40 psi, it should do the trick.

remember, lean is mean.

question about fuel.

Reply #9
so how many turns should i do to get it back to a sorta stock pressure even though i am using a high pressure inline pump? here is the link of the pump i installed http://www.bbkperformance.com/products/fuel-system-components/fuel-pumps/86-95-mustang-in-line-fuel-pump-system.html

question about fuel.

Reply #10
as many turns as the FUEL PRESSURE GUAGE that you should have hooked up before you mess with it says. you can still get them on the loan tool thing from autozone(some of them)
doing it without one is like me trying to guess what psi your pressure is at all the way from up here, meaning its pointless.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

question about fuel.

Reply #11
i have a fuel pressure gauge. i haven't done anything yet. do i turn it left to lower and right to raise pressure?