Skip to main content
Topic: sn-95 v-6 t-5 behind a 5.0 (Read 20347 times) previous topic - next topic

sn-95 v-6 t-5 behind a 5.0

Reply #60
Car seems to drive fine, the clutch seems to be adjusted fine, but engauges right off of the floor. 1-3 worked flawlessly, need to fix my brake lights. I must have pulled a wire or forgotten to hook them up when I did the pdeals.

When I get the brakelights fixed, going to autozone for a shift nob and drive around town a bit.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #61
Awesome. Glad it's actually doing what it's supposed to do. I'd give you a pat on the back if I could reach you.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #62
Just did a run from my house to wendover nevada(border or nevada), 222 miles by google maps total. I have a bit over 250 miles I think, used about 1/2 tank. I'm guesimating 28mpg, which is a very rough guess. I did a couple of wot runs on i-80 by the salt flats. I get a bit of vibration about 95mph, didn't take it too far past that, maybe 105mph or so. Mixed speeds between 65-80mph. Could definately get more out of it if I didn't downshift everytime I got the chance. I stopped at two rest stops just so I could bang some gears on the on-ramp.

The car feels so natrual as a stick and drives completely different. I'm loving it so far. Power steering fluid is leaking badly. Used up half a quart in 3 1/2 to 4 hours of driving. Tomorrow I'm going to finish up the little bits I have left, put the interior back together and look into the power steering. Hoping its just a line, which really wouldn't be too bad to fix. Temps stayed near the "R" in norm. I think I'm going to swap the thermostat just incase.

Haven't really tried power shifting it, but you can spin completely through 1st and chirp 2nd pretty good. Freeway passing and acceleration is good in 4th. 5th does okay as long as there aren't any big hills. I expected more torque out of the engine. Its easy to kill it. I think I might try bumping the idle up a bit. Sucks not having a speedo or tach.

Car reads over 85mph by about 25mph. Switching to kilometers, it will read 185kph by 35 or so. Freeway speeds it starts over at about 50-55mph. 40kph is 50mph and 65mph is 60. 75mph reads 140kph or so. If your not confused by this, you must understand it better then me ;).

I have confidence its gonna make it to montana fine, even with the 190k body.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #63
That's a good ending to a good story.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #64
Great work!!  How about a quick parts list, on what you ended up using.

Reply #65
Quote from: 83TB;410823
Great work!!  How about a quick parts list, on what you ended up using.

Good idea, I'll edit the first post.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #66
I found out of a 2003 complete for 250.00, I am using aftermarket speedo electric gauge

Reply #67
What type of guage are you using? I'm tempted to go this way.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #68
can shorties fit ok?  Did you make the long tubes work?

Quote from: bigbada1;410162
I actually used the SN T5 in my car with the SN bell (you must use the SN throwout arm) the only draw back to this setup is trying to run long tube headers. It actually puts the shifter back about 1/2 further too.

Reply #69
Just a quick update. there was a supercoupe in the junkyard today. I noticed the shifter handle was straight up, rather then the extreme offset of the sn-95 shifter handle. since the shifter sits a bit too far back, I decided this would be a good fit. its a bit shorter, but long gorilla arms will probably reach fine. now that I got the cougar on the road, ill be doing more work on this when I have time.

I figured out how to fix the vss to oss differences. I need the tailshaft off of a 82-98 t-5 and swap it on. from what I've seen, this shouldn't be too hard. i will clearance the 5th gear shaft, then I should end up with an accurate speedo and be able to keep a .68 od gear, rather then swapping in a 94-98 shaft and getting stuck with the higher rpm .73 ratio.

Then I can calculate actual mileage and install a trip computer finally.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #70
Haystack, you need to post some pics of the car.

Reply #71

picture of before with sn-95 handle, the two side by side, then the new one. I especially hated 2nd because it would interfere with the ash tray lid. I believe that is solved now.

Also included a picture of the car about 20miles from the Canadian boarder from right after the swap.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #72
I also think I could easily solve the shifter boot now. I was worried it would bunch up under the shifter and get in the way of the auto.console plate in 2nd gear.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #73
Nice!! Glad everything has worked out for you.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #74
I figure I put about 60k miles on that $150 t5. My odometer doesn't work, but i figure its sitting just below 250k miles, it was at 190k before the swap.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.