Skip to main content
Topic: Figured I'd move this over here (bad hesitation) (Read 4759 times) previous topic - next topic

Figured I'd move this over here (bad hesitation)

Well as a lot of you probably remember, there was a thread about a strange hesitation that a lot of us were experiencing posted back at the old board.  I haven't had the funds yet to really try and figure out what it is, but its still bugging me. 

Things I've noted.
*Doesn't always do it. (Did it all day yesterday, but not once today)
*More prevalent when A/C is on and/or is not warmed up yet.
*Goes away if you floor it.
*Only when in gear, so if you put it in nuetral or park at a light it will stop. 
*Occasionally stops on its own and you can feel the idle smooth out and drop.

A few guesses...
*TPS
*Fuel Pump?
*Vacuum Leak
*Coil or distributor problem?
*Transmission

Now I'm just pretty much curious if anybody has any experience similar to what I've been going thru.  Like I said, haven't had the time, or the money to really tear into it.  I think Eric mentioned he was gonna have his checked out.  Any luck on that?

Thanks!
Matt
Fly on Thunderbird, Fly! Operation Buy Back My Tbird or one like it funding: $0

Re: Figured I'd move this over here (bad hesitation)

Reply #1
Yes and no. Fuel system (pump, injectors, FPR, pressure) tested fine. However, my EVP tested bad so I got a new one installed...problem still exists. This weekend I'm changing the idle bypass valve, TAB and TAD sensors. It feels like an emissions problem....maybe something not opening or closing properly. If that's the case then what I'm doing should show an improvement, if not solve the problem. I'll report any progress when I get it.

Reply #2
I hope its not an emissions problem. I have to get my car inspected this month.  I think the only emissions thing I haven't changed out, is the EGR valve.

Reply #3
Matt,

Good luck with the inspection.  I FINALLY got mine to pass today.  If you have too much trouble let me know and I can probably hook you up with a "friendly" inspector.

Reply #4
Thanks man.  By the way, it was nice meeting you the other day.

Reply #5
i spent several years chasing that problem.  Its now history but it is a DIY job if you feel comfortable pulling the injectors and replace the tiny screens in the top of each one.  I just left mine out and added an extra fuel filter in line with my throttle body.

Reply #6
So the problem are the injectors
Will check them on my vacations :macgun:

Reply #7
Quote from: cougarpower51
So the problem are the injectors
Will check them on my vacations :macgun:

Only if the screens are partally blocked.

Reply #8
I changed the idle bypass valve, TAB and TAD sensors yesterday. Also found a vacuum line off. Idle seems to be more level now, not hunting up and down. Everything seems to be a lot better now, although I think the problem is still there to some degree. I won't know for sure until I drive the car normally (to work and back) this week. Still no codes from the EEC. I may try replacing the EGR and see if that makes a difference, but for now things are better than they were.

Reply #9
Check out the PRO-M racing troubleshooting site. Lots of helpful tuning info. I did everything they say and my car runs sweet and picked up 1 1/2- 2 1/2 mpg.i hope this link works... i'm still pretty new at this :dunno: http://www.pro-flow.com

Reply #10
Thanks for all the info guys.  Its time for me to get to work and see if I can find the problem now! :)

Reply #11
Normal driving showed the problem to be greatly diminished...but it still exists. On a cold start there is a slight hesitation. First 1-2-3 shift of the day shudders, then all subsequent shifts are fine (and it's a new trans with full fluid, so it's not the trans). About 2 miles down the road you can feel the car do a little shimmy and sputter. Once the thermostat opens the problem is again reduced but present nonetheless. It feels like a dead spot in the gas pedal....give it a little more and the car does nothing. Go a little more and the car kicks into passing gear, while popping and shuddering and sputtering through the exhaust. WOT seems to cure the problem completely. The TPS is new. So now that the new emissions parts showed an improvement I'm really leaning towards the EGR. Will replace that this week and report back.

Reply #12
Thanks for all the in depth info, it helps me out a lot!

I've noticed that mine is starting to clear up, as if it was something just stuck in the fuel system.  I picked up some injector cleaner and I'm gonna run that thru there and see what happens.  I haven't ran any in there in over a year....I need to check out that EGR as well.  Never changed it and I'm trying to replace all of the old emissions stuff so i know what i got.

Reply #13
The problem ended up being the EGR valve. I threw an old one on (the original from my '86 convertible) and the car is driving almost like brand new. No popping, no sputtering, no hesitation at all. I can actually give the car throttle through corners now! There is still a high idle issue which I think is being caused by the MAP sensor. I'm changing that over today in the hope that it returns the car down to normal. Other than that, just some cleaning of the throttle body and I should be good to go.

You can try to clean out the EGR with carb/choke cleaner and see if that helps things. I've done it before....it only buys you a little extra time before you absolutely must break down and shell out for a new one. But it can give you an indication of what's wrong anyhow. Worth the half hour or so that you'll be messing with it.

Reply #14
Well yesterday morning I took off the EGR and inspected it and there was a tad bit of build up on the part that plugs and opens the vacuum, but other than that, it still seemed to be clean and working ok.  The plunger part still opened and closed properly from what I could tell.  Well I popped it back on cause I had to go get it inspected, and passed with REALLY good numbers actually. Also the hesitation seemed to have been cleared up a lot, so it probably does just need to be changed...but during the course of this, somehow my AC went out.  Theres no voltage getting to the clutch.  Theres power at the pressure control switch, but none getting to the diode that goes to the clutch... :(  I didn't blow a fuse either, so I don't think its caused by a short. :dunno: