Skip to main content
Topic: Child Seat Question... (Read 3199 times) previous topic - next topic

Child Seat Question...

I have the need to install a child seat.  He is 4 years old and to big for a harness.  I can use a booster seat upfront to comply with the law because it has a shoulder belt.  The rear seats in my 84 bird do not have shoulder belts and I can not find a car seat that uses a harness above 40 pounds. 

Does the 86+ birds have shoulder belts for the backseat?
84 TurboCoupe with 302 .010 over - 9.8 : 1 Forged Pistons - Edlebrock Goodies:  Aluminum Heads #6037, Intake #3821, 65mm TBI/EGR #3824/3827, Camshaft #3722 -  Interactive System & Technologies Mass Air with 24# Injectors - A9L - 3g Alternator - BBK shorties, Cat Converter H-pipe, Magniflow lers - World Class T5 1352-169 (1986, V8, WC, 3.15 3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.68) OEM Clutch Cable - 7.5 Trac Lock with 3.08 and slapper bars from 82 Mustang.

Child Seat Question...

Reply #1
http://www.diapers.com/p/evenflo-booster-car-seat-crawford-1035695?view=info&sku=EV-479&qty=1

This seat is good for up to 100 pounds. Mount in the backseat center with a lap belt.  Run the anchor/tether into the trunk. Should be easy to guide into the trunk area, and you are done.  Thunderbird/cougar 83-88 never had rear shoulder restraints, and even Mark VII did not get them until 1990. This should be a safe install for you, i had the same issue with a 70 Torino Convertible a few years back.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Child Seat Question...

Reply #2
I remember being buckled into a car seat in the back of my parent's '87 Plymouth Voyager. It just had lap belts. My we've come a long way in car seat design.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Child Seat Question...

Reply #3
Quote from: thunderjet302;444967
I remember being buckled into a car seat in the back of my parent's '87 Plymouth Voyager.

I remember sitting on my dad's lap steering the car on the highway, LOL
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Child Seat Question...

Reply #4
When I was a kid (a very long time ago) I used to stand in the back seat area straddling the hump and dad's 65 Galaxie 500 had a metal dash! When you came home from the hospital as a new born, your mom held you in her arms.
Car seats, "WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CAR SEATS!"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.

Child Seat Question...

Reply #5
my vert only has lap belts in the front
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Child Seat Question...

Reply #6
Just to note I was making my comment because of how unsafe we all were in cars as children. 20 years from now people will find how we buckle our kids into cars unsafe.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Child Seat Question...

Reply #7
I remember our family of 6 all piling into Dad's regular cab truck when I was little.  Unless of course it was a nice warm day, then us kids could ride in the bed.  I would never do that with my kids, but back then it was the norm!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Child Seat Question...

Reply #8
In Utah its legal to ride in a truck bed, as long as all available seat belts are used.

If i ever get around to stripping my interior, I've had thoughts of installing car seat anchors. When i only have one of my two boys with me, ill let them sit up front. I did get pulled over once with my kid upfront. The cop asked why he wasn't in back. I told him the booster seat says to use with a shoulder belt and the back only had lap belts. No ticket was issued.

I also went to a car seat safety day that the Utah highway patrol does a few times a year. They said the back seat is still safer even if it is only lap belts.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Child Seat Question...

Reply #9
Quote from: Haystack;445025
In Utah its legal to ride in a truck bed, as long as all available seat belts are used.

If i ever get around to stripping my interior, I've had thoughts of installing car seat anchors. When i only have one of my two boys with me, ill let them sit up front. I did get pulled over once with my kid upfront. The cop asked why he wasn't in back. I told him the booster seat says to use with a shoulder belt and the back only had lap belts. No ticket was issued.

I also went to a car seat safety day that the Utah highway patrol does a few times a year. They said the back seat is still safer even if it is only lap belts.

The problem is when the kids are older and using only a booster, lap belts are not safe for use with them.  Thats why i suggested the larger "car seat" option up to 100 pounds.  The lap belt secures the base, and you slip the anchor/tether into the trunk area and just tie it off very tight to the rear support bracing and its secure as hell.  This was the same thing i did for a few years when i had the Torino Convertible with my son.

Child Seat Question...

Reply #10
I seem to recall in one of my mid80's fox brochures and illustrative / picture of "optional" child restraint system for the back seat ,,, I think....

Child Seat Question...

Reply #11
XX  These were from the 1983 Thunderbird brochure.  These were for front seat only with the shoulder restraints.

Quote from: jcassity;445088
I seem to recall in one of my mid80's fox brochures and illustrative / picture of "optional" child restraint system for the back seat ,,, I think....