Skip to main content
Topic: '88 T-bird 5.0/auto to 2.3T/T5 (Read 2711 times) previous topic - next topic

'88 T-bird 5.0/auto to 2.3T/T5

Hey all,

I am new to this site and, after browsing around for a bit, it seems like an awesome place!! I recently bought an '87 T-bird TC with a T5 so I'm looking forward to learning more about it.

The car I bought is rusty, being a northern Alberta car (lots of snow AKA salted roads for most of the year). It is to the point where I am considering removing the drivetrain and any usable parts, as the car needs an out-of-province inspection.

I might have access to a super clean '88 T-bird with a 302 and auto tranny for a good price.. I searched this forum and so far couldn't find anyone that has swapped a 2.3T/T5 into a car that previously had a V8. I understand the 302 is a great engine for reliability and aftermarket support, but I already own a 5.0 Mustang and I'm really interested in building up a turbo 4 car!!

Have I missed any important articles/posts on this site? Does anyone know what would be required to perform this swap? Any idea on the difficulty? Thanks, and cheers!

Reply #1
I swapped a 2.3T/T5 into my 86 Cougar 5.0.  The swap is very straightforward.  I didn't do much research and there wasn't information to be found as most people swap a 302 into a 2.3T car instead of the other way around.  I just figured that both cars were 86 Cougars (my donor was a $200 wrecked XR7) so if I move everything from one car to the other it should work.  The XR7 donated it's engine, transmission (C3), wiring, exhaust, instrument cluster, interior, wheels, and other odds and ends.  I later got an 87 TC that donated it's T5, brakes, rear end, steering rack, sway bars, intercooler (and hood), big VAM, LA2, and some other stuff.  Everything with a few minor exceptions went together without much trouble.

I have a build thread, although it doesn't go into too much detail on the engine swap itself.  http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?27461-My-86-Cougar-%282-3T-swapped%29-thread-%28long-and-lots-of-pics%29

Feel free to ask any questions.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #2
Welcome...

I'll start by asking how good of a wrench twister/sparktrician are you??

Reason being about the only thing that a '87 or '88 Turbo Coupe shares with the std Birds is the body, most of the mechanics and electrics are on a different level... Think 5.0 AOD Stang for a V8 Bird(with 4 cyl brakes) as far as basic mechanics... The Turbo coupes have the larger 5.0 Stang brakes with rear disc, plus there is the now troublesome electric ABS & ride control system that it's unique struts & shocks are unobtanium(many TC owners have deleted these systems)... Also are the electric fans that are controlled by ECM 

Sooo the correct way to make the conversion is swap all the mechanicals and electrics which includes all the under hood, dash other harness... Nothing for either car's electrics is directly compatible with the other, if you don't swap it all you'll be splicing and adapting(swapping to 5.0 in a '87-'88 TC is far easier than the opposite)... The 2.3 ECM test port is in the ABS/ride control harness, so if you delete it(or at least don't strip out the connections), you won't be able to scan ECM... This has happened on some hack conversions to std brakes... Fuel lines are different in engine bay(connect on opposite sides), if your TC is severely rusty you'll want to run new lines...

This just touches on the high spots, rarely does a swap such as this actually happen... Member Chuck Warren has done so but his is a far less complicated 1983(?) and I'm not familiar with what changes he's actually made...

Reply #3
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;451943
I swapped a 2.3T/T5 into my 86 Cougar 5.0.  The swap is very straightforward.  I didn't do much research and there wasn't information to be found as most people swap a 302 into a 2.3T car instead of the other way around.  I just figured that both cars were 86 Cougars (my donor was a $200 wrecked XR7) so if I move everything from one car to the other it should work.  The XR7 donated it's engine, transmission (C3), wiring, exhaust, instrument cluster, interior, wheels, and other odds and ends.  I later got an 87 TC that donated it's T5, brakes, rear end, steering rack, sway bars, intercooler (and hood), big VAM, LA2, and some other stuff.  Everything with a few minor exceptions went together without much trouble.

I have a build thread, although it doesn't go into too much detail on the engine swap itself.  http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?27461-My-86-Cougar-%282-3T-swapped%29-thread-%28long-and-lots-of-pics%29

Feel free to ask any questions.

Quote from: TurboCoupe50;451946
Welcome...

I'll start by asking how good of a wrench twister/sparktrician are you??

Reason being about the only thing that a '87 or '88 Turbo Coupe shares with the std Birds is the body, most of the mechanics and electrics are on a different level... Think 5.0 AOD Stang for a V8 Bird(with 4 cyl brakes) as far as basic mechanics... The Turbo coupes have the larger 5.0 Stang brakes with rear disc, plus there is the now troublesome electric ABS & ride control system that it's unique struts & shocks are unobtanium(many TC owners have deleted these systems)... Also are the electric fans that are controlled by ECM 

Sooo the correct way to make the conversion is swap all the mechanicals and electrics which includes all the under hood, dash other harness... Nothing for either car's electrics is directly compatible with the other, if you don't swap it all you'll be splicing and adapting(swapping to 5.0 in a '87-'88 TC is far easier than the opposite)... The 2.3 ECM test port is in the ABS/ride control harness, so if you delete it(or at least don't strip out the connections), you won't be able to scan ECM... This has happened on some hack conversions to std brakes... Fuel lines are different in engine bay(connect on opposite sides), if your TC is severely rusty you'll want to run new lines...

This just touches on the high spots, rarely does a swap such as this actually happen... Member Chuck Warren has done so but his is a far less complicated 1983(?) and I'm not familiar with what changes he's actually made...

Thanks for the replies! I am a decent mechanic - it's not my day job, but I have definitely turned a wrench or two! All on Fords :)

That mint 5.0 '88 T-bird sold :( so now I am back to thinking I will likely swap the TC drivetrain into either an '87-'93 Mustang, or a newer Ranger. The rust is pretty extensive on the TC, and the car needs an inspection before it can be insured so I don't think the amount of work it needs is worth it.

What could be causing a sputter/stumble under boost? The car idles a little high (~1100-1200 rpm), but it doesn't appear to be a misfire. Previous owner said he thinks it could be the spark plugs, so I'm going to replace those with Motorcrafts when I get a chance.. Maybe the turbo is worn out? The boost goes up past 10 psi but then it fluctuates, like the turbo is getting blow-by or something.. My first turbo vehicle so it's all a learning process for me :P looking forward to getting to know you guys and this site more!

PS. Moderator can move this thread if it is now off topic haha

Cheers,

Reed

Reply #4
My 85 turbo ran perfectly but had a miss at high RPMs. It turned out to be a burned plug wire shorting against the engine. Easy-peasy.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #5
Quote from: CoogarXR;451995
My 85 turbo ran perfectly but had a miss at high RPMs. It turned out to be a burned plug wire shorting against the engine. Easy-peasy.

My '88 has new NGK blue wires, but I will still check those to make sure.. Thanks! Do you know if these engines are fussy about plug wires as well? Should I look into going Motorcraft wires?

Reply #6
I don't think these engines are that fussy about anything. My wires were new at the time too; I think I just routed them wrong or something (it's been a few years now).
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #7
Check fuel pressure under boost, if it doesn't make 39 psi, plus a pound for each Lb of boost the pump is weak, common issue for T-Coupes with over 90-100K miles...