Skip to main content
Topic: '88 T-Bird 4.6 DOHC swap. (Read 19611 times) previous topic - next topic

'88 T-Bird 4.6 DOHC swap.

Reply #60
Quote from: Chuck W;446883
Are the 3V block mounts the same as the 2V and 4V? If so, aside from the water outlet issue, some of my Type 9 mounts with the early lower brackets may get you in the ballpark. Not sure of other clearance issues, however.

You can use 2v mounts on the 3v engine.  It is what I did.  The dipstick tube needs a slight rebending.

Reply #61
Quote from: Chuck W;446883
Are the 3V block mounts the same as the 2V and 4V? If so, aside from the water outlet issue, some of my Type 9 mounts with the early lower brackets may get you in the ballpark. Not sure of other clearance issues, however.

According to the LMR write up, and looking at their pic, it sure looks like the 2v mounts will work.The S197 mounts that came on the engine are totally different.
As a last resort if I get frustrated, those 2v mounts are the way to go with a 96-04 K-member, and as V8Demon says, it's still stock.

edit: I was treed on the mounts.  LOL
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #62
Quote from: xjeffs;446886
I just sold my Mark VIII which weighed about 400lbs more than what the Tbird would weigh with the same engine and got between 17 in town 24-25 mpg on the highway.  you may get a little better mpg but may not depending on your gear ratio.

One thing to remember on the newer V6 is that you sacrifice some low end torque and it will feel doggish compared to bigger displacement.  305hp is a number you'll rarely feel, 250 ft-lbs @2-3000 RPM you'll feel every day.

My wife has a '12 3.7 Mustang with an auto and 3.31 rear axle. It doesn't feel doggy at low rpm. It does fell quite a bit stronger over 3000rpm though but it pulls pretty viciously to 7000rpm.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #63
The Coyote seems to have a lack of low end torque only because that's the way the electronic throttle body is calibrated.  The software is intended to reduce shock to the driveline.  I'll bet if the Coyote had a cable actuated throttle, nobody would be talking about it's lack of low end torque.

Reply #64
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;446915
The Coyote seems to have a lack of low end torque only because that's the way the electronic throttle body is calibrated.  The software is intended to reduce shock to the driveline.  I'll bet if the Coyote had a cable actuated throttle, nobody would be talking about it's lack of low end torque.

Another reason it's done that way is to keep morons from killing themselves going WOT from a stop in the rain. Probably ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #65
Quote from: thunderjet302;446911
My wife has a '12 3.7 Mustang with an auto and 3.31 rear axle. It doesn't feel doggy at low rpm. It does fell quite a bit stronger over 3000rpm though but it pulls pretty viciously to 7000rpm.

My brother's got a '12 with the 6-speed and performance package, whatever rear axle ratio comes with that. It goes like a raped ape for what it is, but I still bug him that it sounds like a late 80's Cavalier Z24.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #66
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;446941
My brother's got a '12 with the 6-speed and performance package, whatever rear axle ratio comes with that. It goes like a raped ape for what it is, but I still bug him that it sounds like a late 80's Cavalier Z24.

Should be a 3.31 gear. You have to order it on non performance pack cars.

I think the 3.7 V6 sounds fine, with stock lers. The '14 Mustang convertible rental we had in Hawaii a couple months ago had a louder exhaust note than my wife's car, probably because the roof was down. I'm not a huge fan of the way the 3.7 sounds with aftermarket exhaust, especially at higher RPM.

Reply #67
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;446915

That's interesting.  Are you saying that it opens slowly or doesn't open all the way to reduce driveline shock?  The throttle probably doesn't need to open  more than 30-50% below 2000 RPM to get to atmospheric pressure (WOT equivalent).  I guess I'm thinking if the throttle doesn't open all the way it doesn't mean you're not getting full torque.

Reply #68
just like the 3V in the 05-10 Mustang, they are limited as to how much they'll open in stock configuration.  The 3v was limited to 85% in 1st gear and 90% in second.  Take that out of the equation along with shutting off the torque management parameters and the motor wakes up in a decent way.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #69
Quote from: V8Demon;446967
just like the 3V in the 05-10 Mustang, they are limited as to how much they'll open in stock configuration.  The 3v was limited to 85% in 1st gear and 90% in second.  Take that out of the equation along with shutting off the torque management parameters and the motor wakes up in a decent way.

Hmm I really should get the engine in my wife's Mustang tuned.

Reply #70
My brother's got a tuner for his Mustang and swears by it. And it doesn't really sound like an old Z24, I just tell him that to bug him...

On a related note, I was out looking at Mustangs today and fell in love with a Guard Metallic GT Premium with option package 401A plus nav and security and the 20" wheels. It's not a Performance Pack car, but now I think about it I would rather have the goodies in the Premium package than the performance package. I know it sounds sacrilege but I'm not going to be autocrossing or racing the thing, but I will be sitting in it every day, so the premium bits would be more appreciated. Besides, I could likely add most of the performance pack stuff back into it through aftermarket over time for less than the $3700 the option costs...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #71
if it were me, I'd put a 460 in it. same ht and width as 4.6 dohc. a buddy did a 4.6 3valve motor in 88 cougar. lots of work.

Reply #72
I was doing some measuring and it appears that installing a 4.6 3v into a 87-88 TC will be even more challenging.

The 3V throttle body will be right at the opening to the hood vents on the factory TC hood. :punchballs:
I will have to remove all of the plastic air ductwork under that hood.
Looks like 1 1/2  to  2 inch k-member spacers are needed.
Gonna be close if it fits at all.

The centerline of the crank to the top of the intake on that 3v is much higher than my 460 big block is with an air cleaner on it.

Would be alot easier if I used a reg. T-Bird hood, but I like my TC hood. :D
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
95 Mustang GT auto

Reply #73
Quote from: Tim Harris;447029
if it were me, I'd put a 460 in it. same ht and width as 4.6 dohc. a buddy did a 4.6 3valve motor in 88 cougar. lots of work.

I'm pulling the 460 out of my 87 TC and putting a 3v in.
Should take 250 lbs off the nose of the car.

Does your buddy have any pics or a build thread on the swap ?
I am trying to gather as much info as possible right now.
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
95 Mustang GT auto