Skip to main content
Topic: '85-86 Fuel Line picture needed (Read 2228 times) previous topic - next topic

'85-86 Fuel Line picture needed

I'm in the middle of performing a 5.0L conversion in a 1985 Thudnerbird Turbo Coupe and I could use some help.  I need to see how the fuel lines route in a specific area on an '85-'86 Bird or Cougar with an original 5.0L in it. Could someone take a picture of the fuel lines where they route through the passenger wheel well and transition out of the wheel well and go under the underbody and route near the brake lines near the front of the rocker panel? 

I am in the middle of installing a set of fuel lines removed from a 1987 V8 Tbird, but the lines are in tight contact with the brake lines in the lower wheel well area.  On 87-88 cars the brake line feeding the rear brakes are on the passenger side, so the condition I am seeing would never exist.  I'm curious if the fuel lines on a 85-86 car are different.  Any help anyone can provide is appreciated.  Thanks!
1986 T-Bird TC (Project Car)
1986 T-Bird TC (Show Car)

Reply #1
I could get you some cell phone pics in the next week or so. I am going to the junkyard sometime this week. From what I remember, the 86 cougar lines were almost the same as the 87's, as far as 5.0's go.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
they run with the brake line on pass side you want 87 lines 85and86 lines put the fuel filter where the pass ler would be
2015 Ram 3500 MegaCab Diesel

1986 Thunderbird Elan 302 Crate, x303 heads, e cam, 24lb injectors, gt40 intake, WC T-5, TC rear w/ 3.55 gears, CHP control arms,cobra r wheels.

Reply #3
This is true, I forgot about how the fuel lines were routed outside of the engine bay.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
Thanks for the reply guys.  I actually have all of the lines from the tank all the way to the engine from an 87.  I already handled moving the fuel filter and routing the lines in the rear of the car.  The area I am interested in is in the front wheel well area.  Actually, I will take a picture of the problem area I am talking about.  The picture I really need has to be from an 85 or 86 5.0L car.  Thanks!

Reply #5
The '85 used CFI...

Reply #6
Yep, realize on the CFI.  I just want to see how Ford handled the routing of the fuel lines and the brake lines in that area on an original 5.0L car.

Since 2.3L cars had the nylon lines all way to the passenger side of the engine, they route completely different (as you know) and go through that hole in the upper rear of the front wheel well.  I'm assuming that the '85/'86 cars have the nylon/steel combo lines just like the '87/'88 cars in the front wheel well but are possibly different from the '87/'88 lines in terms of routing since the rear brake line on those cars are routed on the driver side. 

I'm just curious as to how they look from the factory on an original 5.0L from '85 or '86.  I'm likely going to have to just rebend my brake lines in that area or make a change to the fuel lines somehow.

Reply #7
I attached some pics of the area I need some detailed photos of from a 1986 5.0L car.  What you see in my pics are the original brake lines and my new 1987 5.0L lines.  They are just loose fit right now, but when I try to tuck them up and route them properly they hit the brake lines in the lower corner and also do not fit real well near the upper brake line bracket and where they go under the frame rail.  Any pics people can provide is appreciated.  XXXThanks!

Reply #8
A couple more pics.XX