Skip to main content
Topic: *PICS* Just finished 351W swap...PICS ADDED!!!! (Read 15511 times) previous topic - next topic

*PICS* Just finished 351W swap...PICS ADDED!!!!

Reply #15
Quote from: tireshredder;275895
Quick question, why didn't you go with Mass Air?  Wouldn't that be able to adapt to the displacement change alot better than the SD?

After learning how the ECU's work, I'd suggest a tune on either setup. Mass air would likely do a bit better, especially in open loop/wot but they both would leave quite a bit on a table without a custom tune.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #16
Dominator- I have a Walbro 190lph pump, Holley AFPR (set to 48 psi with vac disconnected...or at least I think that's what it was at on my old cougar, used to have a rail mounted gauge on that car).  I have around 9.3:1 C/R on 89 octane, it has yet to ping under a load.  When hammering the throttle I think it goes lean initially then goes pig fat rich...my buddy said he saw a little black smoke once I got into it a little.  I know the intake is restrictive, but a combination of a shoe-string budget + time constraints + poor availability of lightning lower intakes = $100 BC Broncos adapter

Badbird- went with the FRPP 351W pan kit...I knew nothing else would work.

T-bird guy- it's not nearly as high as yours...after putting the washers in I thought, "why didn't I just loosen the hinges and pull them up?" lol

I've always been a big advocate of Speed Density because everybody else immediately jumps on the Mass Air bandwagon...I know of guys running plenty fast with SD...it just takes money(which I don't have).  I think I may be jumping on the Mass Air bandwagon if I can find an ECU cheap enough, at least I know that way I can get a lot closer than what I am already.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #18
Just got done cruising through corral forums lookin for a MAF ecu...nothing less than $100 firm for something you don't even know works...I decided to check AutoZone's website...reman, 1yr warranty...97.99, all their ecu's have a core charge except for the one I'm looking for, Cardone #78-5611 for 5.0 A/T, federal emissions...and if they try to screw me, I'll bitch my ass off until I get what I want + a discount...I used to work for that stupid conglomeration...complain and you get free .

Even if it did have a core charge, people there are so stupid, most wouldn't know the difference in the ecu's anyway...somebody once returned a brick in a reman caliper box and said it was a new return and they didn't need it.  Kinda hard for me to try and sell an effing brick for $80....idiots...
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Reply #19
i used the ford racing pan and it also hit my sway bar so i removed the sway bar lol...and its been the way for 5 years now...no problems.but i want it back so im gona try to shim it down
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #20
I went to OReilly's and their ECUs were about $100 with a limited lifetime warranty, and they said they take an old ECU that I don't even know what it is.
1988 Thunderbird Sport (1st car)
351W in the works
"I'll get it one piece at a time...":D

Quote from: bhazard;300566
You got woman'd.

Reply #21
I ordered that ECU today from my local AutoZone...they confirmed no core and I'll have it tomorrow...hopefully I can go to the local yard on Sunday and try to scout out a MN-12 MAF and pirate as much of the harness as possible (without anyone knowing...lol)...I think I remember somebody saying the 5.0 MN-12 MAF sensor was 70mm...but that could be misinformation.

Reply #22
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;276073
I ordered that ECU today from my local AutoZone...they confirmed no core and I'll have it tomorrow...hopefully I can go to the local yard on Sunday and try to scout out a MN-12 MAF and pirate as much of the harness as possible (without anyone knowing...lol)...I think I remember somebody saying the 5.0 MN-12 MAF sensor was 70mm...but that could be misinformation.

i believe its the 96 and up 4.6  but not sure.

Reply #23
Well I got an early start today...I went to the only U-pull it open and picked up a MAF from an early MN-12 3.8 Cougar...Part # F1ZF...same as a '91 'Stang 5.0....all the other units(5.0 MN12, mark 8, crown vic) were all LONG gone...harness and all.  Picked up some extra wire and more solder and went home for fun times...

Reman A9P with 1yr warr.- $97.99
F1ZF mass air meter/harness- $14.50
stupid ricer cone type air filter- $24.99

A pretty cheap MAF swap if you ask me...I did not have the proper intake hoses and that posed a bit of a problem...I did have an extra SD intake hose, so I cut it after the 90* bend from the throttle body, right were the ridges start, slipped on another factory clamp and clamped the MAF sensor in place...went to AutoZone to pick up a piece of pipe and some couplers to make it reach my air box on the cheap...turns out all their junk is 3" and I needed 3.5"...I found a cheesey Spectre cone filter with inserts so it would fit 3", 3.5" and 4"....got home, right on the end of the MAF it went and out came the air box lid and filter.

It runs SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better now.  It runs as smooth as a factory mass air 5.0.  I made a quick blast through 4th gear, shifting at 4k rpm....the time to shift came up a LOT quicker than I expected....and with 2.73 rear gears! lol.

Hopefully I can save up and get a proper CAI within the next 3 weeks....this hot-air intake (or "short-ram" in the Honda world, lmao) looks like ...it does the job, but looks like ...lol.  I know this thread will probably be dead until I get some pics up...just too busy to get EVERYTHING done today.

Reply #24
K&N filter design in itself breathes better than paper by filtering much more poorly. Stick this filter where you can get grime thrown onto it from the belt, you are just throwing dirt straight into the motor. I'd just use the factory intake, chop it up into pieces, and tape it up to make it work temporarily. The last thing you want is dirt scratching up the inside of your engine.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #25
#1- it's not a K&N filter
#2- the belt isn't going to throw anything at it...the filter doesn't come out past the alternator
#3- did you see the "temporary" part?

This isn't my first rodeo...if you want to shiznit all over somebody, please do it else where...K&N's flow more air while filtering just about as good as a paper filter due to the difference in filter media...over-oiling is the big issue with K&N filters and that's not the filter's fault.

Thanks anyway,
Don

Reply #26
After driving it around for a few days, I can see why everybody jumps right on the MAF band-wagon...now I just gotta let more air into this thing!...and I'm regretting not putting more cam in it.

Reply #27

Reply #28

Reply #29
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;276315
#1- it's not a K&N filter
#2- the belt isn't going to throw anything at it...the filter doesn't come out past the alternator
#3- did you see the "temporary" part?

This isn't my first rodeo...if you want to shiznit all over somebody, please do it else where...K&N's flow more air while filtering just about as good as a paper filter due to the difference in filter media...over-oiling is the big issue with K&N filters and that's not the filter's fault.

I'm not trying to be condescending in any way an I apologize if it came across that way. There are tests everywhere that show both the improved airflow, along with the lack of filtration from filters other than paper (the same types of independent tests of oil filters and oil buttstuffysis information - very scientific tests done by some of them). Paper flows slightly worse since it filters the incoming air more - simple physics. Anyways, I was just mentioning that you could ignore this "cheesey Spectre cone filter" altogether and get both better filtering and a better intake setup by sticking with your stock parts - no need to waste money.

I would give you dozens of links to tests done by people other than corporate magazines but I think that would get this thread off topic. I say just stick the stock intake back on with a modified intake tube - help protect your motor. The stock intake isn't really a restriction anyways and you don't want a smooth intake tube, as one would think.

Last note, MAF does give you more learning capability beyond what SD's tables and functions do. It also doesn't have restrictions of being reliant  on vacuum due to it measuring air mass being sucked in. You will be leaving a good amount of power on the table with a 351 on a stock ECU though - when money permits, I'd recommend getting a tune once your motor's completely done.
1988 Thunderbird Sport