Skip to main content
Topic: New Job Opportunity (Read 2535 times) previous topic - next topic

New Job Opportunity

There has been quite a bit going on in my life in the past year as some of you may all know. Im a homeowner now, its been rocky for us up here just getting by. I started a new job at the tail end of July building horse trailers with living quarters and that has been paying the bills along with the little I get from the grocery store I work at on the weekends. Paying the bills and thats about it. Well a friend of mine kept telling me to apply where he works, I did and was denied. Kept at it hard nose down and kept working. He told me to apply again. No dice. Kept plugging away at my 70+ hour weeks. He told me that theyre hiring 60 more people for positions so once again I applied. Well this time I got an email saying You have an interview Saturday 1/24 at 8am. SWEET! interview went well with a background on the company and such and such. They told me that I would hear a yay or nay back within a week. Well I heard. and they gave me a job offer and I without a doubt accepted. I have a few medical tests along with a hair folical/urine drug test, hearing/ vision test. Then a physical strength test. I will ace those no issues.

Then I will have 6 weeks of training down in Atlanta, GA

Oh yeah and the job offer I got was for a freight conductor at CSX. Things are definitely looking up for me

New Job Opportunity

Reply #1
speaking from personal experience,,, that will be a mother F'er for the first few years,, maybe 3 or so because of senior conductors ect bumping you to the end but.... from the design, I believe you also have to be able to agree to be engineer in 5 or so years.

I passed all their tests to a few years ago except 1 of them which I apparently failed.

you know,, the 100 or so question test that you have 10 or 15min to complete with questions like,,,,

-do you consider yourself the life of the party?
-have you ever wanted to climb a mountain?
-do you tend to be accountable to yourself?

that test was designed to repeat itself about 3 times in different questions worded different ways.
To this day I don't know what the "right" answers are.  We were told there is no right or wrong answers.

good luck,,, and memorizing all those signs, lights and such.

New Job Opportunity

Reply #3
I passed their questionnaire just fine. the lights and switches wont be so bad. its all memory recall and repetitive usage. I'll have the 6 weeks of training then 15-20 weeks OJT

New Job Opportunity

Reply #4
I'll second what Jcassity said. Congrats. I have a friend who went to work for CSX, and had the same experience. Grueling training and terrible shifts for the first couple years. But he's settled in and making good money on a decent shift now.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

New Job Opportunity

Reply #5
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;443814
I passed their questionnaire just fine.

well then,, to put it to you as many have already realized,, "you" are very special.
CSX has some magical formula that inside that easy question test they find who they are looking for.

Whoot Whoooooooooooooooo

chug away man and maybe we will see down our way!

New Job Opportunity

Reply #6
Thanks guys. I will admit man I went back and fourth on the questions. anything dealing with safety AT ALL was either Strongly agree/disagree. The first couple years are going to be bad but im looking at the long haul. 5 year contract to be a engineer, great benefits ect. the work and schedule dont bother me in the slightest. Im almost never home at the moment anyway.

New Job Opportunity

Reply #7
Congrats man. Just remember, the railroad owns you. I was on the private contractor end for years. Great pay, lots of travel, but the time away from home does take a toll.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

New Job Opportunity

Reply #8
I heard from a friend recently who is connected to the railroads that they are hiring  in all positions. All of the previous posts considered, it's still a great opportunity.

New Job Opportunity

Reply #9
UPDATE: I guess I had the magic numbers. I got in and am waiting on a start date. Whoo

New Job Opportunity

Reply #10
Congrats Clayton!! Good luck with your new career!

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

New Job Opportunity

Reply #11
The railroads can't keep up with all the crude oil they are shipping by rail these days.

New Job Opportunity

Reply #12
Oh yeah. Its crazy. Im super stoked about it. Im finding out that I have more and more people that I know work for CSX. The world keeps getting smaller.