Skip to main content
Topic: 84 cougar LS find on CL what do YOU think its worth? (Read 1030 times) previous topic - next topic

84 cougar LS find on CL what do YOU think its worth?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/3561263998.html
84 TC - under contruction
2018 F150 2.7 4x4 STX
98 F-150 XLT - 4.6, auto, 4x4, extended cab

Reply #1
I saw this car in person its not as clean as he says it is its been sitting outside for quite awhile things are starting to rust and the truck lid and a bit of the rear quarters are bashed in from rolling it into something getting it off the trailer.  I think its worth 500 ish bucks?
2018 F150 2.7 4x4 STX

Reply #2
Yea no more than that

You can tell its Ben sitting for a long time and I'm sure it's 170,000 or 270,00 lol

Reply #3
Yea it cold be fixed up but it would need a TON of elbow grease.  I would offer him 400to cash today for it but ill bet he will say no
2018 F150 2.7 4x4 STX

Reply #4
I am spoiled that I have found most of the cougars I have owned very cheap. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a roller. You'll have another $80 in just the tow home probably. It has the TRX wheels too, those gotta go (can't get metric tires for them any more, as far as I know). I'd bring 3 hundred dollar bills and leave a fifty in your pocket. Wave the 300 at him, if he balks add the 50. If there's no deal, you'll find another some day.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #5
+1

Reply #6
I was thinking $500 would be on the high side of its worth.  Closer to $300.
Mike

Reply #7
Unless you got an extra motor and tranny, he should pay you to take it away. Needs some rims/tires, and a tow/trailer to get it home.

The prices are going up, but you can still find them for $500-1000 if. You'll travel a bit. In the last 10 years, I've bought the following, with price.

86 5.0 cougar  gs $110 (police auction)
86 5.0 cougar ls loaded 100k $400
87 3.8 cougar fully loaded 180ishk $550
87 3.8 cougar loaded 150k quarter panel damage $300
87 5.0 bird base 135k $400 bad motor/tranny (guy trailered it up with a bad battery so I couldn't start it)
87 5.0 bird ls fully loaded minus console 130k $400
Current 87 5.0 bird medium options, 190k bad tranny $400.

My current bird, my buddy was t-boned in his 89 mustang and couldn't find a car to replace it. He bought it for $700, pocketed the rest of the insurance money and drove it for a year or two. I bought it off of him for $50 a week (every payday) for $400 to keep it out of the junkyard. He would have gotten $350.

If you look hard enough, you can find a pretty decent car for the $500 range that runs and drives, ut might need tires or a few small things to get it road worthy. If it doesn't run, my opinion is don't buy it unless you need body panels/interior.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #8
Yea I could get it home for free but Im worried the brakes are locked up and its in the guys back yard at a small house so it would be tough to get out.  Hes askin 2000 for it IDK if he would jump at 300 even 500.  I suppose it dont hurt to ask though.  Whats its price in s u think?  I would hate to see all those parts gone forever.
2018 F150 2.7 4x4 STX

Reply #9
Junkyard/s yard will do about $200 minus motor/ tranny around here if you tow it to them. About $3-400 with motor and trans. That's why I try to stick to about a $500 car. At worst your only out $150 if it blows up tomorrow.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #10
I personally have never lowballed anyone on price. I'm not a good deal maker. If the cars are that rare out there, thenbuy it for $300 if your really planning on fixing it up. But if its got rust on the quarter panels, it will look like damiacs car underneath the sheet metal.

I'm all for saving a fox, but you gotta eat too. If I had a place to store and work on cars, i'd put a lot more money into keeping them on the road. Starting to get sick of fixing the same things over and over on each car.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #11
Jeez! I didn't even notice he wanted $2000... I don't think I would even waste time talking to the guy. He must be sentimental (or just plain ol' mental). You can find a very nice one for $2000.

I had an argument with a guy like him once. I told him he was asking too much, and he said he'd junk it before he sold it that cheap. Well, unfortunately he did junk it (probably just to spite me, and everybody else who probably told him the same thing). It had a perfect body and interior, but blown engine. Jerks at the junk yard smashed it immediately. The real loser in the deal is the car. If it had a real price, it would have a real home.

Just do what I did with one of the last cars I bought. Make your firm offer. If they decline, leave them your phone number and promise them it will be restored and not sped. Sometimes that breaks down the sentimental types, and they'll call later once enough people laugh in their face over the price.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #12
True story idk that i wouldnt part it out.  Either way there are lots of good parts on this thing that should not go to the crusher.
2018 F150 2.7 4x4 STX

Reply #13
At least clean it up and detail if you are going to ask TOP dollar. :screwy:

Good luck, $500 is about all I would consider.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #14
yea Idk what a guy would get back out of it?  It looked solid enough to me to save but you know how it is when stuff its under snow all winter and then bakes all summer.  I just DK if its worth it.  Parting it would prob be the best idea considering the rear end damage.... but then again how many desirable parts are there on this car?
2018 F150 2.7 4x4 STX