Skip to main content
Topic: Help removing power seat. Need ideas! (Read 1361 times) previous topic - next topic

Help removing power seat. Need ideas!

So Im parting the 86 out to finish our 84 and need the seats.  Passenger is manual and came out without a problem.  The driver side is power and there is no way ill get on the back 2 nuts without moving the seat forward.  Problem is there is no way to hook a battery back up to it and move it as alomst all of the dash/engine bay wiring has been removed.  I was wondering if there was a way to probe the wires on the seat harness to get the seat to move, and if there is which wires need neg/pos hook up.  Any help much appreciated, I really need this seat!

Thanks much guys!
84 TC - under contruction
2018 F150 2.7 4x4 STX
98 F-150 XLT - 4.6, auto, 4x4, extended cab

Reply #1
I run into this problem quite often when I am getting seat belt sleeves at the junkyard.  I cut off seat wiring at the control panel and if I remember correctly, the wires you need to move the seat up are on the left and right side of the "joystick."  I think they are yellow/white and red/white.  Depending on which way you connect to the battery is which way the seat moves.  I hope this helps and I hope I am remembering correctly (it's been a while.)
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #2
Big help, cant wait to get home and try this out!  Ill get back and let you know what I find out.
2018 F150 2.7 4x4 STX

Reply #3
well you were right, I cant remember what wire it was either but I did get the seat to go forwards eventually.  Thanks for the insight.
2018 F150 2.7 4x4 STX

Reply #4
I have a 1986 mercury cougar and the seat switch doesn't work. I am not sure if i just need to get a just a Seat Motor or a Reclining Seat Motor. Does anyone know?