Skip to main content
Topic: 306 swap in work (Read 10097 times) previous topic - next topic

306 swap in work

Reply #75
From the '84 shop manual:
The 3.8 and 5.0 EEC pin-out is the same for the two fuel injectors and the TFI connector.

Also from the manual:
Self-Test Code Output Format;

The engine ID codes are issued at the beginning of engine running test. These codes are used to verify the proper processor is installed and that the self test has been entered.

306 swap in work

Reply #76
so perhaps i do not need to swap in a cfi V8 eec.  I also noticed the 86 and up wiring for the dizzy is the same as the cfi and sefi v6's.

There may be something to the processor not seeing something though.

306 swap in work

Reply #77
From the '84 shop manual:
Differences between 3.8 and 5.0 EEC pin-out.

Pin 4--3.8 not used, 5.0 Ignition Diagnostic Monitor
Pin 5--3.8 Key Power, 5.0 not used
Pin 21--3.8 Idle Speed Control, 5.0 not used
Pin 28--3.8 Idle Tracking Switch, 5.0 not used
pin 29--3.8 Ego Sensor Left, 5.0 Ego Sensor
pin 30--3.8 Neutral Drive Switch, 5.0 not used
pin 34--3.8 not used, 5.0 Data Output Link for Tripminder
pin 35--3.8 not used, 5.0 Canister Purge Solenoid
pin 41--3.8 Idle Speed Control, 5.0 not used
pin 43--3.8 EGO Sensor-Right, 5.0 not used
pin 44--3.8 EGO Ground-Right, 5.0 not used
pin 49--3.8 EGO  Ground-Left, 5.0 EGO Ground
pin 53--3.8 not used, 5.0 Throttle Kicker Solenoid
pin 55--3.8 Exhaust Heat Control, 5.0 not used

306 swap in work

Reply #78
Scott, why dont you just get a 5.0 wiring harness for an 87?  And  a mustang HO intake?  I know where both are at right now, and if you speak quick I can get them for you.
One 88

306 swap in work

Reply #79
Quote from: CougarSE;115981
Scott, why dont you just get a 5.0 wiring harness for an 87?  And  a mustang HO intake?  I know where both are at right now, and if you speak quick I can get them for you.

yeah,, too easy though:grinno:
seriously i have made progress and inherited a grimlin in the oil pan.  Somehow i am hearing a random noise which sounds exactly like the oil sump clacking around in there.  Since the darn pan is toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo large anyway, ill change out the pan and install my double sump i have now.

problem 1>> i have to pull the engine again to do this.  I have zero clearance if you call .030 clearance at all.  Cant wait to get rid of that darn 8qt pan anyway.  Ill start on it sometime this week while i work on job hunting.

I may even consider tossing this cam like it was advised to me way back.  I dont know just yet but it would make someone a nice cam,,i just happen to believe it is just exactly what everyone said,, too large,,too agressive and too much for efi.  With a carb it was fine, perhaps an F cam would work out better.

As far as the 87 harness goes,, im trying to stay tuned to tbi or cfi. If i go sefi, then im pretty much bound to all the extra rules about those engines and all the extra sensors. With CFI, all i gotta have is the dizzy , tps and two injectors hooked up.  Nothing else needs to be in the mix.  My v6 ran great for many years with all the other stuff gone and i know the 5.0 cfi setup i had could do the same if i still had that car.  I have had a couple bad luck issues with the tranny lines and exhaust, valve seats ect so i expect this round 2 to be interesting to say the least.