Skip to main content
Topic: 306 swap in work (Read 10010 times) previous topic - next topic

306 swap in work

Reply #31
from what i see in those pictures

i see just what i told you..the ports are way to small..

and from what i see in the picture i don't see where  it can be a total of 84mm..
here are the pictures of my intake.. the size of the hole for my throttle body is 3" which = 76mm and i'm useing a 75mm throttle body..

Nick
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

306 swap in work

Reply #32
I like that intake btw,, could do some neat things with it.

as for my intake,, wow,,, what a difference.  it seemed like i could go on forever milling out the rails and opening it up but there is that point where finally reach the goal and i was able to match up the head good enough.

here is a pic after i milled at this intake,, took about a half hour per port, 6 beers and a half pack of smokes.
Im happy with it so far,, almost ditched this intake but i looks good now.

the intake in the background with the carb was my goal for port size and the intake below is my result. 

If you scroll up, you can see a before pic of my intake,, drastic difference.  I guess she's not so tight anymore : )

question,,, How would you go about cleaning out the tank in the center?,, i see a factory drilled hole and its full of .

306 swap in work

Reply #33
ok looks bigger  but still to small and i knew i was right i figured it could'nt be bigger then 45mm.. anyway call me.. NOW! lol or do you want me to call you
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

306 swap in work

Reply #34
Quote from: Blown306Cougar

and from what i see in the picture i don't see where  it can be a total of 84mm..
here are the pictures of my intake.. the size of the hole for my throttle body is 3" which = 76mm and i'm useing a 75mm throttle body..

well,, this rule had never told a lie before,, theupper scale is mm,, and if you pardon my flash on the camera,,  out of 8 tries , this was the best i could do.  you see the last increment as a "4" and a couple mm after that.

You use to own one of these,, a two bbl, should be familar if you think back.

306 swap in work

Reply #35
you edited your post lol  i'm still waiting for my phone to ring;)

306 swap in work

Reply #36
Quote from: Blown306Cougar
ok looks bigger  but still to small and i knew i was right i figured it could'nt be bigger then 45mm.. anyway call me.. NOW! lol or do you want me to call you

ill try you tomorrow,, i gotta get a move on with this project and i still have to bore out the throttle holes and sleeve them so my butterflies seal due to these jackass egr ports you see in there.

306 swap in work

Reply #37
fine:( :whatever: :raspberry :drink: ;)

306 swap in work

Reply #38
Quote from: CougarSE
Scott I have an idea for you.... why dont you convert to EFI, but do it out of the mainstream....

Trucks use an ecu that is batch fire.. two injector drivers... your harness now is setup for two injector drivers. You could simply snip the injector harness out of a truck and wire it to the injector harness on your car. might be a few pins to change here and there... but I think it would be a cool thing to try ,,,, and it would work much better than the cfi setup.

Just use a truck ecu.

I think you missed something,,, i am going to be EFI,, just not the the normal way of going about it,,,,,,,,,if it works.

sorry i missed your post,, i cant change plans again, although i will eventually have injector bungs and if my eec wont accept the impedance of 4 injectors firing at once,, then of course this is an option.

306 swap in work

Reply #39
does anyone have any TC injectors?

and....

how would you clean out the center tank on the bottom of the intake?

306 swap in work

Reply #40
Quote from: jcassity
I think you missed something

I think I did...

Buuut.. go to autozone and buy a cheap single plane manifold they have on the shelf.. should be a hair bit better for the setup.. per nick.
One 88

306 swap in work

Reply #41
Quote from: CougarSE
I think I did...

Buuut.. go to autozone and buy a cheap single plane manifold they have on the shelf.. should be a hair bit better for the setup.. per nick.

:rollin:
for the hair of better performance, ill save my money ill need to purchase an AOD and rear im about to blow:rollin:

god i hop not.

btw, anything better is gonna end up sitting higher,, and since my 5 gallon bucket oil pan forces me to do home grown upper mounts to clear the rack by 5/8'',, i have to watch my hood closes.  I dont want the cowl hood stuff, not my style.  I have to watch what i do and i like having the larger oil pan already based on the oil pump i have.  I dont wanna break the seal on the lower end anyway.

besides,, why go get another intake? im just gonna end up drilling and mounting trottle plates in that one to:evilgrin:

306 swap in work

Reply #42
Today i got past another challenge.  I sealed off the EGR/Vac ports down in the intake where my trottle plates will reside.  You can see on the previous page that i have a pic of my intake with a ruler on it.  That big square hole down inside is one of 4 i sealed off.
I made my butterflies but they still need some minor tweeking , i have to use a glow stick laying down in the intake to check for my seal.
Sized up and reflaired my existing Y pipe on the exhaust so i can use it until i get the materials to do duals.  All i need is two sticks of emt conduit , bend it and install.  Im still eyeballing the path down the driver side.  If anyone has a pic on the driver side,, leme see what you did so i can see what works.

Tomorrow i will convert this two chamber intake into a single chamber so to make everyone happy on how much air i can get in.  Ill bore out the intake ports horizontally just below where the butterflies close and make more air that way.  This will mean that i will have approx 84mm worth of input air to the entire engine. 
Sound good anyone?

To follow will be my completed modified CFI system. 

I still have the task of deciding which injector reacts the best.

My next challenge is to get my V6 serpentine pully to mate up on this exising harmonic. My V8 harmonic has a vbelt pully but the mounting holes are further apart.  I may get away with my v6 pully if i line things up right and ream out the holes outward.  Im not off by much so ill depend on a good eye and getting all of them equal.

Can anyone tell me what the diameter of the 5.0 serpentine pully is?  i need to know if my v6 pully is equal.

306 swap in work

Reply #43
got a little done today, the jbweld i used to fill the EGR and Vac ports inside the throttle bores took more time than i thought for curing so i could hone and get back on the design.

I have a butterfly installed so you guys can see what it will look like from the injectors point of view.

just below the butterflies is where i bored out a large hole to increase air flow across both banks of the engine while its running.  Now it is basically a single chamber but not exactly.  Before the intake would only allow 42mm worth of air to reach each bank of the engine where as now, when the trottle is open, both butterflies allow air flow to either bank at the same time.  I could not get it any bigger or i would have tried to match up to as close to 44mm as possible.  anything i did here helps and as it is, the size is very large. 
NICK- does this help with the air issue?

the butterflies are complicated to hand make but easy if you start off with a plan.  I know that the angle of the butterfly in the pic is still not perfect.  I need to achieve an angle that duplicates what was on the CFI before for TPS position reasons.  I need to finish up and file the butterflies until i have a difference of just 5mm height from front to rear on the butterflies.  This will give me some sort of angle in degrees but i dont really care,, as long as there is 5mm worth of difference between the depth on the front compared to the rear, im in like flynn.

The last run this engine made was up on a pipe line where it broke an 89 bronco rear axle and then decided to break a front axle and configure it into an "S" shape some how.  That was with a 355 rear end also.  The only difference i am doing to the motor is to swap in this lower profile intake/homemade CFI instead of the holly.  Prior to my building this motor a couple years ago, the heads were sitting on a 302 running drag.  The original owner decided to go with 351w heads and regrets it now and wants these back.  Im not rebuilding anything here guys,,ive already done that part,  just doing a simple swap with some of me put into it.  I prefer my older EEC for its keen ability to become extreemly dumb and only needing the TPS and injectors plugged up along with the dizzy in order to make an engine run.  I wont need any of the other stuff hooked up so thats all coming out and making room for a cleaner look. 

I dont expect huge horsepower but i wont be dissappointed if its only 250 but i expect 300.

*********** Questions
DIZZY?
Has anyone tried to use a V8 dizzy with a v6 1987 and down EEC?  it should work from what i see on the diagrams.

Fuel delivery?
What is the rule of fhumb on fuel delivery,, ie-19lb injectors on sefi rounds up to 20 so,,,20x8=160 lbs?
On my CFI setup, should i look to atleast 60 or 70 pound injectors?

TC Injectors?
Does anyone have any 4 cyl injectors for sale?  they are like 60 some odd pounds each.  I know the impedance is lower but i can take care of that with an 8watt inline resistor along the EEC leg if i get picky and up the resistance to along the lines of the green or blue tops.

Vacuume Presure?
The issue of vac presure was brought up due to the huge cam.  The engine made enough vac to stop a full size bronco with power brakes, is there something else im missing?

Harmonic balancer pully?
Can someone tell me the diameter of the 5.0 serpentine pully?

306 swap in work

Reply #44
Quote from: jcassity
NICK- does this help with the air issue?

NOPE:raspberry

some how i'll figure out away to get you to stop screwing around with that lame! chezzy! ugly! good for nothing! smog! bottle neck! like trying to $hit a bowling ball! boat anchor!flushing 10 gallons of $hit threw a one inch pipe!tire chock!paper weight!ASH TRAY!
s metal!weed grower!drops dead at 4000RPM! never going to make 300 horse power! 155 horsepower 2 barrel intake manifold!:yuck: :D;)
did i miss anything?:sorry: ;)

Nick