Skip to main content

Poll

What should I do?

Total Members Voted: 51

Topic: As God is my witness I know not what to do... (Read 7969 times) previous topic - next topic

As God is my witness I know not what to do...

Reply #30
carbs belong on 2 strokes IMHO...
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #31
You guys ain't making this decision any easier - you've all got such good arguments. I'm kinda tipping toward a TFS-headed 5.0, though, after Tom's input...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #32
and a five speed i hopes... ;)

~John~

Reply #33
Myself, I'd choose a TFS headed 351w, with lightniong lower/cobra upper, full roller conversion, and a world class T5, and he leaned on it hard for about 3 years, maybe 4, just romping the hell out of it every time he drove it, and he thought he had a main bearing spun, upon teardown, it was a coupla bad cam bearings, but the thing was still making over 400 hp...
The block and heads from it are now in my possesion, waiting for funds to put em back together with a .030 overbore and forged pistons...

So, my vote os for a 351w, with aluminum heads, and a T5, the engine/tranny won't weigh much more than a stock 5.0 SO, and as far as reliability, it's how ya build it, and drive it.
Hope ya make the "right" choice! LOL ;)

ps, you can also stroke that windsor, and put a supercharger on it later, assuming you run an efi setup, if 300-350 hp ain't enough...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #34
wah hoo...stroked 408 windsor with a novi 2k!

~John~

Reply #35
Are Chuck and I the only 2.3T proponents?

Reply #36
Quote from: Ifixyawata

Nope there's BaXo, and I'm sure BillyF will chime in soon.

Reply #37
Quote from: Ifixyawata

Thats my second chioce :dunno:
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #38
Well, if I do go the HO route, Brian, you, Chuck, Alex, and the other 2.3 backers can take solace in knowing that the 2.3 will live in another project. I"m not sure if it'll go into a T-Bird, Mustang, Cougar, Ranger, Zephyr, or even a Pinto, but I will be using the engine in something...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #39
Carm I will argue it into the ground.  Go witht the 351!  Man just think of how it will sound with a set of flowmasters and a lopey cam.  shag, pure shag!
One 88

Reply #40
Quote from: CougarSE
Carm I will argue it into the ground.  Go witht the 351!  Man just think of how it will sound with a set of flowmasters and a lopey cam.  shag, pure shag!

Exactly like a 302. They sound almost exactly the same. When I had the quiet dynomax's on, it had a slightly different tone than the 302's. When I went to the flow's, you couldn't tell at all. Except it will be tougher to get a hold of, vibrate more and it won't be a roller (they are extremely hard to find). Yes the 351 is a powerhouse of torque. But after a while I started to miss the smoothness of the 302 and the higher RPM it could turn (not to mention the slightly easier access to the header bolts that constantly came loose). Not to mention that his 5 speed won't live long. I am using a tremec 3550 that I bought brand new when I did the conversion, after about 30,000 miles and 10 1/4 mile passes, it's already on borrowed time (and it's rated to stand up to a 351). If I ever do get my car up again, I'll be going with a 4R70W (and there will probably be something else powering it). Now let's just say that he did find a roller 351W shortblock. Putting out-of box heads on it won't give the gain that he'd get with doing the same on his 5.0 because the late model 5.8's have ENORMOUS satellite, err, I mean piston dishes. So the compression won't be what he'd get with TFS's and the 5.0L flat tops. That leaves 3 other alternatives:

1. get a blower (expensive)

2. get a shortblock from an earlier year (but then it won't be a roller) and get a custom short base circle roller cam made (expensive).

3. get a roller shortblock and either get it rebuilt with higher CR pistons or buy some aluminum heads and get them milled down (that's what I did).

But as you can see, it's not quite as cut and dry as is modding your existing 5.0. The price of parts only puts it about 500.00 above doing a ground up 5.0L build. Everything else is just extra work. But there are going to be some practicality issues. Provided you can get a roller motor, it is a worthwhile swap, and you won't be disappointed. But it will need alittle more maintenence than the 5.0 and there are a couple obstacles to overcome if you want it to be a roller also. So if you're looking to get great power that's easy, cheap and reliable, go with the 5.0.
Duckin' agents like we was trapped in da matrix!

Reply #41
Did you read the whole thread before posting?
One 88

Reply #42
Quote from: CougarSE
Did you read the whole thread before posting?

As a matter of fact I did, as this is my 4th post in this thread. What I just posted was merely a reflection of my own experience with this type of decision, not speculation, which is exactly what he's asking for input on. And if I see correctly, I answered your hypothetical question about "how it would sound". It sounds exactly like a 302.

Reply #43
Quote from: Mercoug302
(not to mention the slightly easier access to the header bolts that constantly came loose)

Bill what headers were you using???? I've only re-tighened my BBKs 5-6 times and have never blown a gasket... But I gotta agree the extra clearance of the smaller engine is a big help, especially with the TC ABS MC.

Roller 351 are becomming more common as the 94'-'96 models are starting to come to the end of their life cycle...

Reply #44
I have the BBK 1569 longtubes. They're the "long" BBK 1516's meant for 351W swaps. Besides the py chrome plating, they're of great construction. I used the copper gaskets with the copper silcone sealer (no paper gaskets). You know, now that you mention it, it was 3 years ago when I did that swap, I so guess those engines may be easier to find, but in Canada?