Skip to main content
Topic: SHO swap into Fox, one step closer (Read 22593 times) previous topic - next topic

SHO swap into Fox, one step closer

Well, after months of trying to find time to dial in my adapter.....I finally picked up my lasered version on Fri and took an hour or so to fiddle with it.

For those that don't know, I'm planning to swap an SHO 3.0/3.2 V6 into my '84 XR-7.  I'm using a 5.0 bellhousing to allow for the better choice of clutches and flywheels. It's more of a long term project, but to avoid any folks calling :bs: I figured I have to make some headway once in a while.

Here's a couple pics.
The adapter plate

SHO meet T-5

There's a gap between the bellhousing and the adapter because I need to mill a couple reliefs in the bell for a couple of the bolts that attach to the block.  With some minor machine work on the bellhousing I'm actually going to have 3 bolts that go all the way through the bell/adapter to the block, so that makes me happy.

I was concerned initially about the starter clearance, but it appears that I'll be able to use one of the mini-starters and not have to mod the oil pan.  I actually have one on the way (thanks ebay ...$27 + S&H for one :D )  I still might need to to clear the K-member, but I'll probably not be using a stock one anyway, but I'll be curious to see how it fits.

The next hurdle is the flywheel.  For right now I'm going to mod a 157T 5.0 flywheel and change the crank mounting holes and have it zero-balanced.  Of course I just missed a nice cheap one on the 'bay.  SO now I'm on the look-out for a 5.0 flywheel and engine plate.

So there you have it....finally progress.

:hick:
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #1
Now that is just ed cool.

Question, tho: Doesn't the SHO-6 use the same bolt pattern as the other FWD Ford sixes and fours, such as the 3.0 Vulcan, 3.8, and 2.3 HSC? And if so, isn't that the same pattern as the 4-cyl T5?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
You sir have blown my mind!

Looks awesome!  Great job!
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #3
thats pretty friggin sweet my man.....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #4
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
Now that is just ed cool.

Question, tho: Doesn't the SHO-6 use the same bolt pattern as the other FWD Ford sixes and fours, such as the 3.0 Vulcan, 3.8, and 2.3 HSC? And if so, isn't that the same pattern as the 4-cyl T5?

The SHO uses the Vulcan bolt pattern, but you are limited to Ranger and Aerostar trannys for a direct bolt up, but then you are still saddled with a py trans and clutch.  There is supposedly a manual 3.0 bellhousing that can be made to work, but again see above.

The 5.0 bell is really not that far off.  The biggest PITA was getting the patterns dialed in around the crank centerline.

Reply #5
So Chuck, it looks like two of the t-5 bellhousing bolts actually go into the sho block?
One 88

Reply #6
Quote from: CougarSE
So Chuck, it looks like two of the t-5 bellhousing bolts actually go into the sho block?

No.  Those two are close enough for me to mod the bellhousing to be able to do it that way though.  The lower one is not very far off, but the upper one is a fair bit.  I may actually remove the upper stud and mod the other upper bellhousing hole and do the same there as well.

Reply #7
Looks good. I had a '90 SHO for 14 years. I bought it brand new. It rocked. I loved the look of the Mustangs guys when they left the light and you stayed right ther with them.

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Reply #8
cool shiznit, I am all for seeing it done. Any pics of the engine?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
Quote from: Haystack
Any pics of the engine?

I just have the one on the stand that's not 100% assembled..nothing to look at.  Needs rebuilt.  I haven't concerned myself with getting an engine ready until I had the tramsmission situation sorted.

I may find a good running one when the time comes for it, or buy one anyway and store it away.  Dunno yet.

Reply #10
Hmm too bad chuck, I know a guy down in Florida that has like 3 or 4 3.0/3.2's. 

Now correct me if i'm wrong chuck but dont the v8's sho's have the same bellhousing as the 3.0/3.2's?
One 88

Reply #11
I think they are different.  I know there was a discussion about it on turboford a while back, but since the site is down I can't go look for it.

Reply #12
Chuck I thought I had another option for you, but a dead end.  Seams advance adapters makes an adapter plate to go between the bellhousing and a T-5 for a 2.9 ranger.  But I forgot that the 3.0 and 2.9 had different bellhousings.  It didn't specify a mazda tranny or a mitsubishi tranny but I'm guessing one for the mazda tranny would work because those came behind 3.0 rangers.

So Ranger 3.0 bellhousing  +  Advance adapter +  T-5
One 88

Reply #13
Well, I'm really not worried about someone else's adapter at this point.  I had my reasons for going this way to begin with.

I didn't see anything on their site either for any Ford V6 other than the 4.0.

Reply #14
Even the ranger site said that the adapter was no longer listed on the site. 

A while back when you were questioning the crankface location on the 5.0, was that the reason to use your adapter?  Need the extra space?
One 88