Skip to main content
Topic: 9 Years Later and Counting... (Read 19014 times) previous topic - next topic

9 Years Later and Counting...

Reply #45
Got word today that the area behind the exhaust valve has a crack and is getting welded up.  This will require a new seat and valve job on that cylinder.  Evidently when the valve dropped in that cylinder it smacked up against the casting and cracked it.  Machinist is a stand up guy and I am only paying the welding for the fix.  Might get it back tomorrow but most likely early next week so it may be a couple of weeks before I can get back after it.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #46
The head got welded up so my guy ground on it to clean all the welds up and pressure tested it again to find a small leak.  The welder fixed that leak and it was tested again to 50 psig and all it good.  Both seats were replaced and the valve job on that cylinder was performed so I'm good to go there.  The welding on the head required it to be milled just every so slightly which makes sense with the heat that was put into it to weld up the crack.  This also caused the need to rework the receiver grooves for the Fel-Pro 1006 wire-lok gaskets.  I'm going to head down that way to pick the head up on Monday so hopefully I can try to start the car that week as well.

Darren

Reply #47
Good luck! Hopefully it's running before the new year.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #48
Aerocoupe....that is a bum deal....hope its up and running soon.

Travis

Reply #49
I got it 95% back together.  All I lacked was putting the #1 piston on TDC and dropping in the distributor, plugs, plug wires, oil, and topping off the anit-freeze.  I am hoping that when I go back to my dad's shop over the X-mas holiday I can get to it that weekend.

Darren

Reply #50
Its a shaging BEAST!!! Fired up on the first hit and idled perfect. Let it warm up a bit and then dialed the timing in. Go it up to about 3,000 rpm and broke the secondaries on the 830 Carb Shop Holley and holy shiznit did it shake the shop. My dad was smiling from ear to ear. I let it idle for a bit to build some temperature and then turned it off...the silence was depressing.

I started to clean up and checked for leaks and there it was, a steady drip of coolant. Put the car back on the lift and traced it down to the condensate drip line for the AC which means I now get to replace the heater core. I did it once long ago so hopefully it will come back to me as i do it. Sucks but we all know it was a shiznitty design.

This will be the last post on this already too long thread.

Darren

Reply #51
Woohoo! That's awesome man! glad to hear it. Good luck with the heater core. Hopefully the rest of your posts are about tearing up the 1/4 mile.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #52
Nice!
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6