Skip to main content
Topic: HO Swap Fuel Problem (Read 7454 times) previous topic - next topic

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #15
What's the word? I'm really interested in the answer to this problem.As I've stated before,I had issues getting my "new" H.O engine to run....wires were in the right order,but I went clockwise with them.They need to go counter clockwise.Bam,started and idled like a champ.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #16
I wasn't able to speak with him today.  I will call tomorrow and see if he has made any progress.  Even if the wires were completely wrong, clockwise or out of order or whatever, wouldn't the injectors still open?  They aren't opening at all and they all have power going to them like they are supposed to.  The way I understand it, in order to get them to open, the computer grounds them.  And that is what is not happening from what I could gather from talking to the mechanic.

And yes, it is the original non-HO wiring harness.  The only thing that should have had to be changed is the actual engine and the ECM.  Hook everything back up and it should work.  But for something I own to be that simple is just not possible.  ;)
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #17
I can't get a straight answer out of this guy and it is starting to tick me off a bit.  If I didn't call him for the next month, I can guarantee I wouldn't here from him.  He came recommended to me by a couple of different people that had him do some work for them in the past but I must have caught him in a mid life crisis or something because getting him to work on the car is like pulling teeth.  If he doesn't know how to fix it I wish he'd at least be straight up with me about it so I can find someone that does.  The only problem is that I've already given him money and finding another mechanic willing to take on someone's half finished job would be tough to say the least.  Ugh. 

Where's the smiley banging his head against a brick wall when you need him?
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #18
I have a DA1 computer.  Unsure of its condition but I was told it works.  Been sitting on my bench for a while.  Let me know if you are interested and we can work out an arrangement.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #19
There's also a ground near where the eec goes in the kick panel...not sure if that would cause your issue, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
Hopefully it's as simple as putting a different eec in.

When I first tried to start mine after the swap (SO to HO)
it did some crazy stuff, like prime the fuel pump when the dimmer switch was pulled back, wouldn't start, etc.

The culprit was the wrong relay in the fuel pump circuit that was on the pass side under the dash, I was also swapping dashes, and had taken the correct relay and reinstalled a different one.

Pretty big smile when I figured it out and the car started that night lol

Hope your solution is just as easy. :bowdown:
If you know someone that has a known good DA1 or comparable, try it and let us know..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #20
I had a mechanic like that. Both of the cylinder heads on my explorer cracked, and I took it to a guy that did all of the work on my Tbird. He's usually really good, always done everything right, but I didn't see my explorer for almost 4 months...and it took forever to get ahold of him.

Got the Explorer back, and since he's done the work to it, I've already had to replace the "new" valve cover gaskets, the oil sending unit, and the truck is officially on its 3rd radiator with 98K. I would've taken it back to him to get the valve cover gaskets and radiator redone, but I didn't want my truck gone another 4 months....

Good luck man!!
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #21
Thanks, guys.  The tag on the Cougar actually expired at the end of October and I can't renew it because the inspection is out of date as well.  In NC you have to have a valid inspection before you can renew your tag.  So I'm going to have to take the tag off the car and turn it in because it has been at his shop for so long.  Since July, in fact.  I intend to make sure he is there before I go by so I can talk to him face to face rather than over the phone.  Perhaps that will have more impact.

Thanks for the offer on the DA1, 88CougarGT.  I will let you know as soon as I can find something out about the car.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #22
jkirchman, if you get screwed or he doesn't figure it out, let me know.  I'd be happy to help you work on it.  I'm positive we could get it to work.

I have a spare SD HO computer and a MA HO computer/harness to swap in if necessary.

Where are you in western NC?

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #23
Hey Shredder.  Thank you for the offer to help.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate that.  I hope it does not come to that.  I really think the guy could fix the problem if he wanted to but the money initially paid to him is long gone so it's like he'd be doing it on his own time so he doesn't want to.

I'm in Franklin.  It's about a 3.5 hour drive from here to Charlotte.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #24
Dang, at first I thought you meant that you was 3.5 hours east of Charlotte which would put you near me, but you're in the opposite direction.

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #25
Any update on this?
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #26
Going to get the tag and talk to the guy tomorrow.  Hopefully can light a fire under him then.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #27
Well I went by on Friday during my lunch break from work and I got the tag.  I talked to him and he told me he was getting ready to move the car into the shop as soon as the truck that was in there was out.  He was going to try to put the original ECM in and see if he could get the injectors to work.  So he had not even done that yet even though we discussed it like a month ago.  I said okay and went to turn the tag in at the office.

I got off work at 6:00 and went by there again and the car had not been moved.  I asked him what was going on and he said he was getting ready to move it into the shop so he could work on it some on Saturday.  Right.  So I left.  I didn't have time to go by there on Saturday because I'm in the middle of remodeling a bathroom in my house.  I rode by the shop late Saturday evening and the car appeared to be in the same spot it was in when I left on Friday evening.

I'm going to go by again on my lunch on Monday and every other day until I see some progress being made.  I've been more than patient up to this point.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #28
I assume he has been paid in full already?  Dang.  Keep pestering but I would avoid elevating the situation if you think he can actually finish it.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #29
That's ridiculous....I hope he gets it done for you man.
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]