Skip to main content
Topic: you're going to be scratching your head at this 1.. (Read 13315 times) previous topic - next topic

you're going to be scratching your head at this 1..

Reply #30
Thats awesome.  How does it run?

Reply #31
like , i hate holleys lol there's something wrong with the vacuum secondaires and the primaries are all out of whack.. looking for an edelbrock as we speak, since i have a few jet and rebuild kits laying around for them.. breaks the tires loose at 1/4 throttle though, before the vacuum secondaries open and start dumping too much fuel

but all in all, so far so good aside from the crank hitting the pickup and the screwed up carb.. had an issue with the intake leaking in the back, thought it was warped but it just the rear seal.. the silicone on the bottom side of it never dried and it slipped right out the first time i fired it up so i went with the rubber end seals this time around.. good to go now.. needs duals though, it's way too quiet lol

Reply #32
here are some other pics i took with my phone.. forgot i uploaded them to facebook.. lol.. also thought i'd throw in the pic of the back seat we installed.. fits amazingly.. comfortable enough for me to sit my fat ass back there lol

Reply #33
dodge dakota seat?
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #34
yup lol they fit perfectly

Reply #35
ok, took some pics of it with my phone.. they kind of suck, but i was using a drop light at night lol.. mind you, it's still not 100% done.. just ordered a breather top to hook up a 'cold air' intake tube so i'm not wasting money on a regular breather when it's going boost once the motor has 500 miles on it.. also ordered a new set of taylor wires, a 7 quart front sump pan with pickup and a remote mount oil filter relocator and cooler with drilled/tapped holes for AN fittings for when it goes boost.. i got the holley tuned a bit better and was actually able to smoke the tires up a bit.. going to the junkyard soon for an exploder 8.8 because the 7.5 GM rear won't last very long with the way we drive.. LOL

also, had a chevy guy scratching his head at it for about 10 minutes before he figured out it was a sbf sitting in there.. he actually loved it, said the same thing i said.. 'it gets boring when you open the hood and see a sbc sitting in the frame rails of yet another S10.'

XXX

Reply #36
this poor girl has been neglected for some time now.. all she sees is daily driving duty and is still running NA, because my buddies durango blew up.. she's running really healthy after he bought a new holley carb for it. hopefully, in the next few weeks, he'll pick up a daily beater car so this dirty little girl can see some tinkering time this winter

ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #37
she lost some oil pressure, i think it spun a cam bearing because it was idling warm at 25psi 1 day, 10 the next.. i'll find out when i pull the motor to build a tubular crossmember so i can put a rear sump pan back on it.. going to swap the oil pump and hit it with a drill.. if it was just the pump, back on the road she goes.. if not, she stays off the road and gets new 10:1 pistons, moly rings and more headwork.. that'll also give me time to FINALLY finish the headers lol

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #38
I LOVE IT!!! finally a chevy worth something.
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

Reply #39
i'm sorry to say, my top 2 favorite cars are chevys.. foxes come 3rd.. please don't shun me from the ford world :( lmao

Reply #40
she's finally in her winter home.. FINALLY I SAY! since my buddy picked up a honda to replace it's daily driver beating, the S10 is officially off the road for the winter. first things first, the front clip and bed are coming off so the motor can come out and the rear frame clip can be narrowed all at once. not narrowing it much, just enough to get the hoosier 27x11's to stop rubbing the bed/frame when making a turn. it'll basically become a 4" overall minitub.. going with a disk exploder rear as well, since it will fit perfectly under the truck with the mini tub and backspacing of the wheels. only other mods required for the 8.8 are having the wheels re-drilled for the 5x4.5 lug pattern and ditching the boring leaf springs for a triangulated 4 link and coilovers.

while the minitub, 4 link, coilovers and coilover mounts are being built, the block is going back to the machine shop for new cam bearings, a dip in the hot tank and new freeze plugs. once it comes back, i'll slap the heads and new 7qt oil pan on and start on my bolt-in tubular crossmember. i'll start by welding a temporary crossmember across the front and roughly where the bellhousing would rest to keep the frame from moving when i cut out the existing factory crossmember. i'll then trim around the lower control arms and mounts in preparation to close them off with some 1/4" plate with pre-drilled holes and nuts welded to the back-side for the new crossmember to bolt to. from that point, i will lower the motor into the frame rails and start bending/cutting/welding the new tubular crossmember and mounting plates. i'll be leaving the factory GM motor mount surface in it's place, so i can re-use the original mounts that i built. the mounts currently in use push the motor forward 4" from the original location in order to use the front sump pan, which created other problems that brought the sawzall to the rad support :( . the new configuration will also allow more run for my headers and the starter. at this point, the motor has to be lifted 3-4 inches to remove the starter, because of the way the stock crossmember is configured.

once the crossmember is tacked, the motor will come out so the welding can be finished and the motor will be put back on the stand, where it will be pushed aside and wait for assembly. at that point (here's the part you should all like), it becomes a little more ford than chevy. the stock steering box causes too many problems, so.. a mustang power steering rack comes into play. i'll build a special (stationary) crossmember for the rack and weld it to the frame. at this point, i'll probably have to make my own steering shaft that'll mount to the column and rack, which i'll figure out when the time comes. this will eliminate the junk chevy tie rods and ridiculous idler arm setup. if i remember right, the mustang tie rods are the perfect size for the S10 spindles. if not, i'll have to switch to hiem ends and call it a day.

and finally onto the drivetrain.. first, the motor-

most of the motor is staying the same, but i'm sending the heads to the machine shop to get decked and having them hot tanked as well. before they go, i'll do a little more port work on the valve end of things. since we're no longer throwing a turbo at it, the low compression KB pistons will get pressed off the rods, wrapped up and put in a box for another build down the line. they'll be replaced with a new, higher compression set of KB FHR's to hopefully push somewhere in the ballpark of 10.3-10.6:1, depending on the heads. other than a bigger/better cam (going roller this time) and some more intake port clean-up, everything else will remain the same.

the C6 is getting ditched. josh's F150's C6 is starting to slip a bit, so we'll save the trans for that. after the S10 is done, that'll be the next project in the garage.. in it's place will be a built T5. i can get a good donor from the junkyard and rebuild it on the bench, once the motor is done. only other things getting done after that are a new 1 piece driveshaft (instead of the junk 2 piece with carrier bearing) and the gauges.

look, pictures and sketches!

Reply #41
may be a change of plans in the works.. i just scored super amazing deal on a 408 longblock with RHS pro action heads and fox swap headers, so i'm going to see if i can make it work when the 306 comes out. may have to mod the firewall a little to clear the heads/valvecovers because of the taller/wider deck.. a geo metro booster may be in order too, just for the extra inch or so of clearance.. on the passenger side, the stock AC/heater box needs to be ditched and a custom box needs to be built to keep the blower motor in use.. since the headers are for a fox 351 swap, so they'll have to be modified quite a bit to work. i've seen the motor go 10.03 with a 150 shot, a torker II intake and holley 770(vacuum secondary junk) in an 87 notch with a C4. whether the motor will work in the truck on not, it'll get topped off with a funnel web i have sitting on the shelf (i have a bunch of these things lol) and an edelbrock 800

the reason i got such an amazing deal on it, is because it's been blowing head gaskets at the top end (about 50ft out from the 1/4 mile mark). luckily, it was a strict track car, so it wasn't driven long enough to overheat.. so, if i find that i can make it work under the hood of the S10, i'll disassemble it and send the crank, rods, heads and block to the machine shop to get checked out and have the necessary machine work done. depending on the shape of the pistons, i may have them pressed off the rods and replace them with KB FHR's

on another side note, i started building the 4 link. i got as far as the 2 lower bars done and the axle brackets done. before we start messing with any of that, we're going to shove the bed closer to the cab to close up the cab/bed gap a little (it's about 1-1/2") to around 1/2", so the rear will be getting pulled forward a little to keep the rear centered in the wheel well.. and thaaaaaat will have to wait until the frame gets narrowed.. that will also help with planting the rear wheels a little better when it launches.. the lower link bars i built are 30" long bar end hole to bar end hole, with both bar ends screwed all the way in.. that'll help get the tires planted a little better as well, along with the S10 blazer gas tank we decided to go with.. the blazer tank mounts between the frame rails behind the rear, where the pickup tank mounts to the driver side in front of the rear.. with moving the tank, the long arm 4 link and moving the rear forward an inch, the truck will hook a lot better than it ever would with the stock setup

we should be starting on the truck just after xmas, after gathering the rest of the parts and materials.. then it should be back on the streets killing hondas and dakota RT's (and some mustangs, too LOL) by april at the latest

i'm lazy, so i just copied what i typed up on sbf tech lol

Reply #42
scored a couple things from the junkyard today.. found a rack out of an 89 vert that looks pretty new, still has a legible 'reman' sticker on it, so i yanked it out and grabbed the PS lines (they looked new as well). also picked up an exploder rear. they knocked a few bucks off because the carrier and brake parts were missing, only wound up paying $45 instead of $75

Reply #43
so much for her winter home, she's sharing yard space with the white TC now.. going to try getting the exhaust off and get started on the headers, as well as the new motor mounts to slide the motor back (again :punchballs:).. here's a pic of her at the gas station before she made her hour and a half trip from my buddy's in DE to here.. love this picture, makes the truck look clean and mean

Reply #44
hmm..

jumped back on the headers.. i'll finish them off after i get the motor slid back