Skip to main content
Topic: you're going to be scratching your head at this 1.. (Read 13317 times) previous topic - next topic

you're going to be scratching your head at this 1..

Reply #15
Quote from: Dougy_Fresh;337460
i want to do the same thing, except i want to do it with a first gen extended cab s10...

as for EFI, why not use a simplified 89-93 mustang harness and ECU? would be a lot simpler than the coil pack setup on an explorer...not to mention a lot cleaner looking...you could run all of the wires in one loom straight through a hole (grommeted of course) in the firewall directly behind the engine and hide the majority of the ones for running the engine under the intake and fuel rails...

i foresee plumbing the power steering being the most time comsuming part of this swap...

and i LOVE ford engines in chevy's, i have a 56 chevy truck thats BEGGING me to put a 400m/c6 setup in it...and i happen to know where that setup is, and it's cheap to boot.

hahahah.. this same motor setup is going in my 88 next year(which this motor was originally intended for), and it's an ext cab to boot lol.. well, used to be.. building a quad cab ext cab, which is on hold until i find a 4 door blazer to cut up for the door pillars, doors and related sheet metal.

as for the EFI harness, i picked up a 93 5.0 bird harness (MAF) and ECU off a friend of mine from a club i used to belong to, who went with a carb'd 351w. so that'll more than likely be the harness i use so i can grab an MSD distributor and do it up that way. i'd rather just go with a F.A.S.T. injection system right off the bat, but i just can't fork out that much cash on it right now, because of the capri.. hell, i wish i could toss a F.A.S.T. setup on that, but i have to worry about getting the car SFI certified and street/race ready.

and as for power steering, it looks like it may be a simple line hook up and go. i tried my pressure line on my 88's steering box and it went it fine.. sealing may be a different story, so i may have to get a custom line made. the return line is obviously simple lol

and i love the torque monster 400M's, i had 1 in my F250 and bronco.. you should put it in your 56, it would be 1 really mean truck. i don't know how knowledgeable you are on the 400's, but there are a couple things you should do to help it stay together better

Reply #16
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;337468
I have a Zenith about identical to that one there...it's only 17 years old, still works like new.

Oh, hard to look at that 5.0 block painted Junk Orange....but I to confess to driving a shiznitrolet for a daily...can't knock your project-least yours has the heart of Ford going for it lol.

More pics as progress...well, progresses, lol.

at first i didn't know what you were talking about lol. it actually works, it's supposed to go to the shop, but i have yet to build a 'break room'.. better known as 'the room all the kids will go in to stay out of our hair.' hahahah

the orange is probably getting covered up by red, to match the paint we're laying out on the truck while it's sitting in the shop, getting god knows what done to it. it's going black/red like josh's old 91 std cab short bed that i painted, but this 1 is actually getting painted with a gun, not rattle can lol..

as for pics, i'll be posting more as it moves along.. still waiting on my timing chain, gasket set, head studs and pushrods to finish up the long block.. then i have to spend some time in the shop and build the motor mounts and get the trans crossmember situated.. fuuuuunnnn

Note: in the top left corner of the pic, that's me looking like a scruffy dirtbag with my beard lol

Reply #17
well, still waiting on parts.. i'm not buying from ebay anymore, unless i'm willing to wait 2 weeks to get my stuff.. 13 (business days) and counting on my studs and timing chain. but i did get my power steering mount figured out. using a V-belt bracket (which mounts higher) with my serpentine pump. had i figured this out sooner, my bronco and cougar would have had power steering lol

but i guess it's a bit of a good thing i haven't been able to work on the motor or capri this past week. i got to run my micro friday and last night. motor blew up friday night, which i should have seen coming. last night didn't go too bad with my backup motor.. started last in the feature after the field inversion and finished 4th out of a field of 19 cars. had a lot of people looking the car over, which is good for business :D

Reply #18
something to make life a whole lot easier.. B&M trans pan drain plug :hick:

Reply #19
this showed up today :D

Reply #20
I like the idea man, that'll chap a few GM asses.

I've been wanting to do a motor swap car for a while now. I really have been wanting to do a SBF E36 BMW lately.

Reply #21
i'm more of an american car guy.. but that'd be sweet lol

Reply #22
and the swap starts tonight.. finally gathered all my stuff and picked up a parker funnel web intake.. talk about HUGE.. this thread will start getting flooded with pictures tonight.. lol

Reply #23
ditch the explore ecm and harness. go with painless

Reply #24
oh the agony. pics by midnight or ban!

i really want to see this one done...if i keep having stupid little issues out of my car i'm reeeallllyyy leaning towards putting the engine and trans in an s10....
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #25
didn't get a chance to start tonight, electric company never came out to fix the power line at the pole.. assholes!!!!

and i've decided to stay carb.. i don't really know why i was thinking of going with injection.. plus i picked up another blow-through carb the other night.. so it's still getting boosted, probably in a month or so, after it hits the 500 mile mark and all is good an well

Reply #26
first order of business today.. go to the junkyard and grab an explorer oil filter relocator.. when i originally mocked the motor up in my frame, it had the power steering box, but not the shaft that runs to the column.. issue number 1, easy solution lol

Reply #27
so i assume s10's and rangers have the same problem of needing a 90* filter relocator when doing a v8 swap?
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #28
FINALLY able to get on here on my phone lol.. anyway, the swap is done, just fighting motor issues now.. sadly, there's more room under the hood now than there was with the 2.2.. go figure.. just fighting some motor gremlins now.. i have a sound like a rod knock that showed up out of nowhere and it's driving me insane.. will post all the pics once i'm able to jump online.. everything went pretty smooth.. had a small driveshaft issue but the 4wd short shaft out of my sonoma solved the problem

Reply #29
alright, finally on the computer.. i don't have all the pictures, since we were using 2 cameras and mine got wet and is now trashed.. will post the rest after they're sent to my email.. but here you go.. last 3 are from 3-4 days ago and more has been finished since then

but, no more talking, time for pics lol