Skip to main content
Topic: *PICS* Just finished 351W swap...PICS ADDED!!!! (Read 15527 times) previous topic - next topic

*PICS* Just finished 351W swap...PICS ADDED!!!!

Reply #75
Quote from: 86caprirs;296939
Ok. I got the bug. I picked up a 96 5.8L engine. I am getting the pan from a 351w 85 Grand Marquie. I am useing the Bronco Adapter for now.

I just want to get the engine runningin the car then modify it later. So I am going to put headers on, get a h pipe and cat back Magnaflow, a 89 distributer from a truck 351w,put on the adapter and toss the old 5.0L upper on, mass air for the 19's lbs and a A9L and do the wiring swap from a Non HO to a HO. I will stick with the truck cam for now.

But I have to ask, what flywheel or flex plate do i need? I heard just to use the mid 80's Crown Vic one with the 351w.Is that right?

Also how was the wiring for the computer? Did you have to change the wiring for the injectors or is that done through the pcm?

I would go with the Crown Vic flex plate if staying AOD, if going with a T5 or TKO series then you'd need to order the Ford Racing flywheel(or equivalent). The 351 has the same firing order as the HO, so there is no need to fiddle around with re-pinning injectors. The only information you need on wiring is the MAF swap, which is quite simple, I just don't have mine laying around anymore.

Oh and the A/C is the only problem you had with the hood clearance? ever thought of spacing your K-member like the big block swap guys do?

I actually don't have a problem with hood clearance like I originally thought I would...as long as you're not using a T/C hood, you should be fine.  I spaced my hood up at the hinges as a "just in case", but I have plenty of clearance and could probably let it down...I'm just lazy...lol.

Thanks for the help to make me do this instead of the 460 swap.

No problem buddy, that's what we're all here for.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #76
I am going to use the TC hood. Maybe I should delete the a/c then and find a power steering only?

The Crown Vic flex plate is a 157 tooth and 28oz ballance right?

I forgot to ask. Did you use the stock 5.0L engine mounts from the Tbird? Or did you make your own?

Do you have pics of what you did to your intake?

Thanks
Shane
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #77
I believe the AOD flexplates are all 164 tooth, I could be mistaken.  As long as it's for a 5.8 Crown Vic then it'll have the correct 28oz imbalance and work with your AOD.  I do not have any pics of what I did to my intake, but it's pretty simple with the right tools...just takes some time and work.  Working over my upper plenum really woke my car up, increasing the usable RPM range by about 600-800rpm(still using stock HO throttle body).
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Reply #78
See now I need to know that. I can get a 157 tooth or a 164 tooth 28oz flexplate. I just need to know which one now.
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Reply #79
I heard that all aod flywheels are 164 tooth....even 5.0L ones? Can anyone verify this?

Reply #80
Quote from: 86caprirs;297516
I heard that all aod flywheels are 164 tooth....even 5.0L ones? Can anyone verify this?

That should be correct, flexplate size is dictated by the bellhousing and AFIK all AOD's are same...

Reply #81
what did you do to your intake?

"HO intake cut open fully ported -3" of runner length"

i'm not following
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #82
OK. So I do need a 164 tooth then. OOops.

Reply #83
Quote from: Dougy_Fresh;297531
what did you do to your intake?

"HO intake cut open fully ported -3" of runner length"

i'm not following

HO intake cut open, 3" of internal runner cut out, fully ported and welded back together...it's a pretty simple thing to understand.

I finally finished my "5.8 HO" beauty plate and got it on the car, I need to try to get a pic of that pretty soon.

-Don

Reply #84
I want to see the intake and plate.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #85
The intake looks like poop because I was very hasty in finishing it up and getting it on the car...I think the plate looks cool though...again, I will try to get a few pics up soon.

-Don

Reply #86
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;297739
HO intake cut open, 3" of internal runner cut out, fully ported and welded back together...it's a pretty simple thing to understand.

I finally finished my "5.8 HO" beauty plate and got it on the car, I need to try to get a pic of that pretty soon.

-Don

I am sorta following you but I am guessing you cut the end opposite to the throttle body. You cut it front to back. Then you ground down the individual runners back into the intake towards the throttle body so that there was a bigger area of space there for the air? Am I close or make absolutly no sence?

Reply #87
I cut the plenum "box" section off(opposite the throttle body) and hogged out the ports as well as removing the port walls in the plenum section...it works out to about 3" less runner length and adds to the overall plenum volume.  I also spent a LOT of time on the "throat" of the intake(the tube running from the throttle body to the plenum).  There is a lot of room in these things for porting but no matter how you cut it, it's still an HO intake...you won't make any miracles happen...but it did extend my usable RPM range by a solid 800rpm or so.

We're probably saying the same thing about the intake, just in different words...lol.

Good luck,
Don

Reply #88
Yes we are. Next time I will try to use pics. LOL

Thanks