Skip to main content
Topic: Has anyone on this Fourm Done an LS1 swap into there Bird (Read 17466 times) previous topic - next topic

Has anyone on this Fourm Done an LS1 swap into there Bird

OK I recently came accross a very cheep LS1 from a family member and have read about all the mustang LS1 swaps and was wondering if anyone here has done this on a bird. OK Let the flam beggin.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #1
Well I for one think this would be neat. They are pretty strong motors and take well to mods. If you could get it to work I think you'd have the first LS1 powered Fox Bird/Cat. Go for it, theres nothing like a guy that blazes his own trail.

Reply #2
Please do, but do it to a V6. :hick:

Reply #3
Go for it man...LS1's are amazing motors.  I have seen fox mustang's in person with LS1's and they actually look like a pretty tight fit in there.  I think I might have a pic somewhere of one I'll dig it up.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #5
Only problem i have with it is droppin' a chevy in a ford.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:burnout: :flame:
1987 Cougar LS w/460big block & AOD tranny
1992 Cougar XR7 Supercharged 3.8L V6
1987 Pontiac Firebird w/3.1 V6
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4
1988 AMC Eagle Wagon w/14000 mile crate 258 I-6
1931 Model A Pickup

Reply #6
Here are some pics of a nice Chevrolet-motored fox 'Stang I saw on Power Tour last year.  It really caught me off guard, I just kind of glanced at it totally assuming a blown 5.0.  After looking at these pictures, I guess my memory was a little off...It wasnt that tight in there after all.  Hell people put big blocks into Foxes so an LS1 should not be a problem fitment wise.  I'd about bet a 4.6 is wider than an LS1.

'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #7
that thing sounds nasty. sounds like one helluva job, but too awesome to not do. i second the use of a v6 car.
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #8
I helped put a V-6 Turbo Buick in a Fox Mustang back in 2000...you want to talk about no camp to hang with....WOW!!
I say have at it. It can't be hard since the Deck height of a LS motor is not far off the 351W. The fox body is a great swap platform and it's light weight compared to a heavy LS1 camaro or GTO. Those cars were closer to 4000 lbs than 3000 lbs and still run in the 12's with a few bolt ons.

Sounds like a worthy project.

Reply #9
saw a LSx swapped fox mustang yesterday with a single turbo. one of the best uses of a fox mustang i have seen in a long time...
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #10
If I had a Chevy engine I would put it in a GM vehicle. Why not just put it in a S-10 like everyone else does ????

Lets see... the Ford guys will walk away after seeing that LS  and the GM guys will wonder why you drive a Ford.

Too many Ford engine combos out there for me to ever consider building a cross-breed. JMO
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #11
Quote from: 83-88T-Bird Guy;267746
If I had a Chevy engine I would put it in a GM vehicle. Why not just put it in a S-10 like everyone else does ????

Lets see... the Ford guys will walk away after seeing that LS  and the GM guys will wonder why you drive a Ford.

Too many Ford engine combos out there for me to ever consider building a cross-breed. JMO

I agree, and the LS series of motors are more expensive to hop up then a 302...

Reply #12
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;267749
I agree, and the LS series of motors are more expensive to hop up then a 302...

True enough, but with an LSx you're starting off at a baseline that would already cost you a pretty penny to achieve on a 302. You're looking at aftermarket heads, intake, and cam, along with the attendant upgrades required (larger injectors, bigger TB & MAF, etc) just to get the 302 over 300 horses. The LS1 starts at what, 305 horses? Plus you're getting a lighter engine (all aluminum, unless you go with a truck engine) and stronger, too.

If I could find a wrecked LSx/6-speed donor car I'd swap it into my T-Bird in a heartbeat (no pun intended).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #13
Ford should have offered something similar, instead of only a 281 cu in OHC thingy... Sure we have a 40 year old 351(basic design back to '60) but of course it has to be built up same as a 5.0... I got no problem with it, even if it were in a TC...

Reply #14
The only real problem with the swap is the lack of respect you would get with it. If you are the type of person who cares what other people think, it probably isn't the way to go. Certainly don't do it thinking people in general will think its awesome. Id be willing to wager it would be received even less well than modding something obscure like a fox tbird/cougar let alone modding one with a  GM engine. I would never do it because i don't care for it myself. Id rather stuff a modular mach1 4 valve into it.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~