Skip to main content
Topic: rear end gurus please help (Read 2170 times) previous topic - next topic

rear end gurus please help

how much shorter is the rear diff in a fox mustang? ive got one i can use but if i cant im tossing it. would there be any problems with puting my tbird axles in the mustangs housing to make up the length? or would that be a bad idea? :dunno:
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Re: rear end gurus please help

Reply #1
3/4 inch on each side
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
The Mustang axle assembly will bolt in. The quad shock mounts are in a different location than how they would be mounted on a TC 8.8. Simply swap your axles in and you should be fine.

Reply #3
awsome..thanks. i wasnt sure if that would work. i was going to yank the 7" out and use the trac lok in my rangers rear for a little better traction with that and stick the mustangs axle assembly with the 7" rears axles in the tbird temporarily. the turbo coupe rear i have isnt rebuilt yet. anyway...thanks again guys

~John~

Reply #4
You might need offset brake drums for the shorter housing.  T-birds with short (Mustang-length) housings from the factory (thru mid '85, I believe) used different axle shafts from the later ones with the long housings.  The wheel bearings will ride on a different portion of the axle shafts, so be sure yours are machined that far inward.  Mine weren't ('88 Bird using '85 TC housing).

Reply #5
i think ill just end up tossing the stangs axle...ill stick with my 7.5 till its toast or the turbo coupe rear diff is finally rebuilt....figure ill just do it the right way. i just figured it would be a way to have a 8.8 without hasseling a swap to disks yet....

~John~

Reply #6
I like to consider myself a rear end guru of sorts  :evilgrin:

BTW, I love your mom too  ;)
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC