Skip to main content
Topic: Door hinge (Read 2173 times) previous topic - next topic

Door hinge

I have a friend with a 93 Cougar that has a shot door hinge.  As of right now she isn't even using the driver's side door because she can't close it by herself.  Has anyone ever replaced a door hinge on one of these?  I guess she had a friend of the family look at it and he couldn't figure out how to replace the pin.  Does anyone have an idea of how to change the pin, or should I just get the whole hinge from the junkyard?
Thanks
Jim
86 2.3 Turbo

Re: Door hinge

Reply #1
I think that there is a busing that gets worn out and that the pin is probably still good. Not sure on how to remove the pin though. I read somewhere that you could make a wooden stand to support the door and u could take it off that way or you could just get strong people to hold it for u.

Reply #2
Just replace the entire hindge with a new, or better condition one.
I know the Fox cars are just bolt on, not sure on the MN-12 but I'm betting it's the same deal.

Reply #3
I dont think we can buy those parts separately anyway...
Replace the complete hinge is a beter idea...

The pin is both side capped and press fit....
I figured that when the pin fell off somewhere but i was still having one of the caps.... :giggle:

Reply #4
actually it's pretty easy. but you do have to take the hinge off to get the pin out. and you will need to replace the pin as well...have to cut the other one in half. i did mine in a couple of hours (mostly cutting the pin) mostly by myself. door shuts like a dream. ^_^

....but if i had a new hinge then i'd go that route. though it is hard to beat $6 and a diy.

i used a page for the MN-12 as a guidance so they are similar. wish i remember where it was.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #5
You can find rebuilt hinges on ebay all the time. I am almost positive all 89-97 MN12 hinges are the same. The hinges are the same for both sides of the car which make it easy. I bought a rebuilt hinge for my 90 XR7 for like $15, installed it in about an hour and problem solved. Door works like new again.

Reply #6
My worry was that I would need a special wrench to get in there.  I really have never looked at how difficult it would be to remove the door hinge.  I was thinking about just holding the door up with my engine hoist and swapping out the hinge.  I couln't find any on ebay but the one used parts store said they would sell me one for $20.

I did some more research and did find a web site that had a write up on it.  I can't believe I didn't think to do a search first.  It is good to get everyone's experience with it though.  So thanks everyone for all the replies, I think I am going to give it a try next weekend since I am helping someone else do brakes this weekend.

Thanks
Jim
86 2.3 Turbo

Reply #7
FYI:  if anyone owns a 94 and up cougar/bird and tries to replace the door hinge, the air bag componetry will be in the way.  Not a big issue, but is just makes it a bit more of a hassle.

Ya, those doors sag terribly on MN-12's.  I decided I didn't want to replace the hinges myself, took it to a body shop instead.  The cost wasn't terribly expensive, but now that I know I can go on e-bay and buy remanned hinges, thats what I'll do if I ever have that problem again.  The T-bird guys have it made, they don't have to replace the hinges unless they get sick of slamming the door; we Cougar owners have to fix the hinges before they sag enough to catch the stainless quarter window trim, which tears it away from the molding, making it look like ass.  :nono: