Skip to main content
Topic: Holley Terminator X (Read 7821 times) previous topic - next topic

Holley Terminator X

Has any one tried to use the Terminator X to replace their A9L,P? Thinking of buying one.
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

Re: Holley Terminator X

Reply #1
If its anything like their sniper efi system it will be a good choice. From what I've read about the system is it replaces the factory harness with OE style connectors then has a holley ecu that comes with a similar handheld to the sniper. You set your parameters and let her learn.

I have the sniper 650 and I love it. Coupled with the msd dual sync distributor I can change timing without even popping the hood.

Reply #2
Thanks Clayton. I have zero experience with this new tech and it scares me a little. I have been trying to read up on the Terminator X and it seems to be the answer to the tuning issues with the A9L. There is no one here in Las Vegas able to work with it. I'm a little hesitant to make the change because the tech aspect is way over my head. I posted a list of what I have in the TC in another post about the Mega Squirt in this forum. The car runs great as it is but I'm pretty sure it can be better. The other thing is, with the Terminator X, I can keep my Ford fuel injection.
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

Reply #3
From what I've read its designed to be plug and play and has the same 3.5" display that comes with the sniper. If it has the same setup wizard as the sniper its a piece of cake to set up. The only thing I had to wire for the unit I've got was a 12v+ and a ground straight to the battery, a 12v key on and crank wire and a wire to the fuel pump positive (and it already was ran through a relay)

The great thing about holley products is the plethora of tech articles, install videos and support.

https://lmr.com/item/HLY-550937F/mustang-fox-body-holley-terminator-x-efi-kit-87-93?gclid=CjwKCAjwkJj6BRA-EiwA0ZVPVj_lzZrMnSj8hiXBtjm0oVhmWCSVAqYtjfIk-X3iUwxI9zt-L7jm8hoCJlwQAvD_BwE

Heres an install video on a mustang thats pretty close to the same steps I had to take with my sniper unit. There are a few differences but  close
https://youtu.be/ld2yUFY_dp0

Reply #4
God, I think I'll get one, myself.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #5
Thanks for the information Clayton. That video will help a lot. I've done wiring on this car forever it seems. Changing from the 4cyl to the 5.0, removing the Teves brakes, wiring to the package tray I don't need and interior wiring on the latest remodel. I'll give Holley a call and talk to their resident expert and see about ordering it. Want to make sure I get everything I need. From what I've read the handheld can only go so far but you need a laptop for some adjustments. Looks like guys have had problems with the cam selection feature and timing. Did you run into the same problem?

Reply #6
That Holley system looks nice and seems fairly easy to install. I'd also look at the Pro-M system, but it's twice as much:  http://www.promracing.com/pro-m-efi-engine-management-system-for-1986-fox-body-mustang.html

Either seems like a decent way to go. I haven't really thought seriously about either one since my car runs well with the A9P.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
Thanks for the information Clayton. That video will help a lot. I've done wiring on this car forever it seems. Changing from the 4cyl to the 5.0, removing the Teves brakes, wiring to the package tray I don't need and interior wiring on the latest remodel. I'll give Holley a call and talk to their resident expert and see about ordering it. Want to make sure I get everything I need. From what I've read the handheld can only go so far but you need a laptop for some adjustments. Looks like guys have had problems with the cam selection feature and timing. Did you run into the same problem?

You're welcome!

I have had no issues with my unit. There are some minor tweaks that need to be made with a laptop but the majority of the tune done with the Wizard. I will most likely have someone dyno tune it later on down the road when I get the rest of my nitrous system done just because that is unfamiliar territory for me all the way around and I want it right.

The cam choice I made was the street strip and that is for the TFS-2 cam and it seems to be holding its own fairly well since it pulls about 10-11 lbs at idle

The only issue I've had is something that just needs to be dialed in and that's the decel fuel cut off, when it sees more than a 200rpm drop it cuts fuel and it wigs out and goes lean for a moment and stumbles but will usually pick itself back up. I've only had it stall a couple times because of it and I kind of deserved it doing dumb stuff. Hitting the limiter in 1st and pushing in the clutch and coasting kind of dumb stuff. So going from a 7k redline to idle really quickly kind of wigs it out

Reply #8
The cam I used is far from radical. Comp Cams XE266HR-12, 266/274, 544/555. 1600-5600rpm. Computer compatible and works with 373 gears. 11in vac but I use a vac reservoir.  Just something I can enjoy driving. Back in my drag racing days I had a couple that were impossible to drive on the street. Young and very dumb. Sounds like your motor is pretty wild. Use it for drag racing?

Once I get done with the install there are a couple of shops I can take it to for fine tuning. That is my main goal. I would like to learn fine art of tuning for myself. Timing and fuel control.

When I get started I will post pictures and a description to help anyone interested in this type of swap. I know I'll have plenty of questions as I go. Are you using a single wideband O2 sensor on the drivers side?

One thing I am planning to do is install a Kenne Bell sometime in the far future. That is one of the reasons for my interest in the Terminator X.

Reply #9
My build isn't radical, but she is a bit rowdy for a street car  :toothless:

The stock cam or street strip choice would be ok for you then. Its pretty much determined by how much vacuum it pulls to get a generic tune set.

My single wideband is in the passenger side header that part doesn't matter

The tuning is what I like about it. Trying to get someone to tune the ecu from a 30+ year old car is starting to become a lost art

Reply #10
Just finished reading your build post. Amazing work. Like the suspension. You planning to road race it?  My car is pretty tight, all new front end parts, 14-1 rack and pump to match. I would like to use the front end you have. Don't know if it would make taking out my 8qt pan any easier. The rear is an 8.8, 373, CHE upper and lower CA's. Still using all 4 shocks. Have a couple of 40lb bags of river rock in the trunk. I'll see if it helps with traction in the morning on the way to cars and coffee. Car sets perfectly level. 9in from the ground to the bottom of the roll pan. Have to be careful backing onto the street, only 1in clear on the exhaust tips. Since we built the frame connectors, welded in place, there is zero flex.

Can't believe you had so many problems with the FiTech. They are pretty popular out here. Mostly on Chebbys. Had some friends try and convince me I should try it. I didn't want to go to throttle body injection.

I'll be calling Holley Monday morning to talk with their Terminator X "expert?". Just want to make sure I have all the parts I need. Excited and scared to get started.

Reply #11
Thanks man! I wanted an all purpose street car. Something I could take down the strip and go fast, something that would could chase some cones down in some scca stuff eventually.

The k-member is a granatelli piece which is a ripoff of the maximum motorsports design. When it shipped to me it was 85# coil overs included the factory piece is like 140# without springs.

The fitech was nice while it lasted. But when I started having issues the part that made me jump ship is the fact I called tech support every day for 2 weeks and got an answer 3 times.

The holley experts will be a big help. And I think its going to be easier than you think. Have no fear it can always be put back to stock.

Reply #12
Your car is pretty good. I was lucky with my car, found a nice disaster. My wife was T-boned in my original Sport Coupe, totaled it. Had it since new. I love these cars so had to find another. This was Oct 03.

Found a project car the guy had given up on. He was a Ford Mechanic! Anyway he had started to convert the 2.3 to a 5.0. Used all the parts off a 88 LSC, all used. The wiring in the whole car was butchered everywhere I looked. The car actually kind of ran. Took me 2 years to get it running the way it was supposed to. All wiring was done as if Ford put the 5.0 in the TC. It was finally road worthy in Nov 05. I was working also, why it took so long. Mechanic friends would drop by, see the wiring all over shake their heads, wish me luck and walk away. Wife would poke her head out once in a while- "Are we ever going to be able to drive that car?" Wish I knew about Ron Francis Wiring then instead of taking the wiring out of the old Sport. Thank God I had the EVTM and all the Ford schematics- all 34 pages. 2.3, 3.8, 5.0 all mixed together. It was like automotive electric by Common Core.

This last remodel, all new drivetrain, fuel system, brake system, frame, was done from Aug 18 to Nov 18 working on it 10hrs a day, 6 days a week. (I had quit work prior to this build). After I did the A/C, Frostbite radiator, 10 blade fan, Cobra clutch car would still rum warm. I always had an idea for a cowl hood, had the Sport hood in the shed for 15 yrs. Went to several body shops, told me it couldn't be done. My buddy Ron and I were at Pick a Part scrounging parts and Ron wanted to get a hood. He also told me I was nuts. Anyway, Ron builds custom cars for himself. A master at fabrication. Decided this was a challenge. The 2in cowl hood on my TC is the end result. I knew there was vacuum pressure at the base of the windshield and if I had a cowl hood it would help evacuate the hot air under the hood. Theory proven, works like I thought it would. With the A/C on, 100*+, car stays around 180-190*. You can feel the heat if the windows down. By the way how much fun is it driving with that 5in cowl? Road racing will be a challenge.

Do you think I would be able to pull my 8qt pan with a K member like yours?

Reply #13
Seeing around the 5" is a challenge. I'm used to it now. I make some pretty wide right turns if I'm unfamiliar with the area.

As for getting an oil pan off, your odds may be better but I'm willing to bet you're going to have to lift the engine up still to clear the oil pump. But it would be feasible to remove the pan a boat load easier than with the factory k member

Reply #14
Thanks Clayton. I'll save the K member for the next project. I'll probably go with the MM one. I am using the LSC motor mounts not the TBird donuts. Will this K member work or should I get one for the LSC?  Had to raise the motor up 3/8in for the front sump to clear the rack. I used a Hamberger pan but kept the dipstick in the engine block. If it settles back down I might end up getting the Canton pan instead. The front sump is more square. What type of pan are you using?

Took the car out, woke up the neighborhood, this morning. The "ballast" works good. My problem is that the trans I used has a 335 first, probably should have a 295 first to keep from spinning the tires. I'll reconsider when I break it.

I'll bet that 5in cowl will be a joy on a SCCA track. Even my 2in raised cowl makes a difference finding the right front.

Had a guy stop by at cars and coffee, told me I wrecked the car. Gave me an earful. A Turbo Coupe purist.