Skip to main content
Topic: the summer of insanity (Read 1487 times) previous topic - next topic

the summer of insanity

Awhile back (last fall) I bought a '97 Explorer with the 4.0, the body is in great shape. Had the "rattle" that any 4.0 owner comes to dread before emptying wallets, kids' piggy banks, and putting in a second mortgage on the house over.

Well, I ain't fixin' this piece of shiznit, broken timing chain boat anchor of an engine.

So last week I bought a wrecked '99 Mountaineer (5.0)

You may see where I'm going with this....

The plan is to use the '99 engine, pirate the fuel system, engine harness and ECM from my worn out (345,000 mile) '97 Mountaineer, and swap it all into the '97 Explorer (former)4.0.

It's a big job, and thereby delaying my Mustang shiznit. I've gotta have an SUV. I also am planning on using my '97 5.0 trans, as I'm not sure if the trans in the '99 is the same kind.

I put a new frontend, tires, brakes, and shocks on the '97 Explorer, and my '97 Mounty is, let's say..past it's prime. It's served me well, and I'm not one to get attached to a mechanical object, but I'm going to miss it when it's gone. It's been great these last 5 years, but face it. Doors stick, barely open, loud exhaust sucks, needs ball joints and tires and brakes and new rotors and....and......

First things first. Gotta get the engine out of the '99 and examine it. Drunk chick ran off the road and hit a tree and tore the driver's front off. Still has oil in the pan and the first thing I checked was the inertia switched. Yup, it was tripped, so I'm fairly certain the engine is good still. She broker her neck in the wreck, was airlifted out. Don't drink and drive.

Pics to come, welcome to my summer of insanity. (anyone here a therapist....I could use help..ha.)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

the summer of insanity

Reply #1
I'd try to use all the '99 components, even wiring & computer if possible...

I suspect trans for '97 & '99 are both 4R70W...

I've pulled a 5.0 from a '98 'Sploder, PITA...

Biggest issue may be are connectors same to mate a V8 engine/computer harness to the 4.0 body harness?? Those may be different...

the summer of insanity

Reply #2
The '99 ECM has the PATS (passive anti theft system) programmed in, one can either use it and tune it out via a tuner, or do as I do, use existing, non PATS electrons.

As for the fuel, the '97s are a return style, '99 is returnless...I'll swap my fuel over from the '97...easier, I suspect.

As far as I've read, as long as I use a '97 5.0 engine harness, it will plug n play right into the '97 body harness...no idea on the '99 engine harness. In any case, I've no inclination to mess with the '99 any more than I have to.

I cut the core support off this evening, to better get to the engine...I suspect taking it out will be much easier than putting it back when that time comes.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

the summer of insanity

Reply #3
I didn't realize the '99 was returnless, go with the '97 components... 

Yep PATS can be a PITA, I swapped a '99 Crown Vic interceptor PCM into my '98 Grand Marquis so I can use $1.50 hardware store keys... Those didn't go to returnless till '03...

the summer of insanity

Reply #4
As an aside, I put jumper cables on the  thing, it turned over, but not well enough to make an attempt to start and run. Got a battery on the charger...maybe tomorrow, before work.

I got the hatch to unlock...I'm gonna keep it, it's the one good exterior part LOL. Plus it's an upgrade for the '97, once I get it running with 5.0 power.

I need a tetb-hole shot, too. God it, got a nasty cut on the f*cker last night. Wonder if they have vaccines for herpegonosyphilaids. Looks like a pack of ws ran a brothel in it....I am not joking. it's puppiesy.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

the summer of insanity

Reply #5
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;460755
Looks like a pack of ws ran a brothel in it....I am not joking. it's puppiesy.
Where'd you say she lives again?????????????