Skip to main content
Topic: The price of GAS!!! (Read 19800 times) previous topic - next topic

The price of GAS!!!

So here we go again. Remember back in 2008 when the housing market was all bubbled up and the economy was pretty good. Then gas prices started to rise and rise and rise. That was the begining of bad news. People stopped spending money on things they nomally would because they had to fill up the old Excursion or even worse Hummer. We thought it was bad then. Now the price of gas is heading for record prices again and the economy is still half way in the per.  My daily driver is an F150 super crew with a 5.4L 3V that gets 13 MPG on average. So what's a blue collar bloke like myself to do to remedy this problem? Well the truck has been shelved and my Turbo Coupe is now my daily driver. I've been driving it daily for 2 weeks and I still have a half a tank of gas. After 2 weeks in the truck, it's time to fill up the 30 gallon tank at a cost of $130. Ain't no way I'm throwing away money like that. :nono: :bs: Not to mention I'm getting to work 10 minutes earlier.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]      STEVE ;)

The price of GAS!!!

Reply #1
IMHO until we get our fuel issues stable and reasonable our economy will be in danger.

I think it is funny how no one really mentions the dramatic rise in fuel prices right before this recession...

It is kind of sad/funny that our TCs get the mileage that many new vehicles are getting. The TC was ahead of its time! :D
...and there was light!

The price of GAS!!!

Reply #2
That's what started it all and it's happening again.

The price of GAS!!!

Reply #3
Yep and after all we have went through the past couple of years we are still at the mercy of those fuel prices. We as a nation can adjust to whatever the fuel price is, as long as the rise is slow and gradual. The dramatic increases just doesn't give everyone a chance to adjust.
...and there was light!

The price of GAS!!!

Reply #4
i say we send the marines over there and start shooting up the houses of these oil company owners.. their costs to pump the oil sure as hell didn't rise that quickly.. they're just a bunch of money hungry.. end of that statement.. lol.. they're doing it because they can.. someone needs to fire a bullet in their ass and show them what's up lol
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

The price of GAS!!!

Reply #5
It's not the oil companies as much as the futures speculators that cause these ridiculous price swings in the oil market.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

The price of GAS!!!

Reply #6
Quote from: 5.0 bird;384774
It's not the oil companies as much as the futures speculators that cause these ridiculous price swings in the oil market.

This!!! I remember reading an article just the other week that said the price for a drum of oil should be like $65 but that the speculators were driving the cost through the roof!
...and there was light!

The price of GAS!!!

Reply #7
come on now, it's just the oil companies padding their pockets.. 1 of them has a mansion with a 24k gold walkway to the front door!

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

The price of GAS!!!

Reply #8
X

Paid like $1.53/gallon in the winter of '08-'09. Snowblowed my grandmother's big-ass driveway and left my crown vic running with the heat blasting the whole time, felt so evil but felt so good when I got back in a perfectly warm car :giggle:

It'll happen again, and probably soon. Look at the chart again. It'll happen again. And again, and again, and again, ad nauseum lol. Until they find another commodity to make more money trading futures on. Or the government declares necessary supplies like oil and food unavailable for this kind of trading.

The financial products market is so wildly complex and every new thing they come up with is ten times more so, that you have to take a high-level college class just to understand how the mechanics of the trading even work!!!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

The price of GAS!!!

Reply #9
Its not the oil companies causing the gas price to rise.

The price of GAS!!!

Reply #10
My TC is my daily driver to work right now for me too, since my other vehicle is a TrailBlazer 4x4. We have an '08 Cobalt which is awesome MPG but I don't drive it to work because my wife can't drive stick and doesn't want to drive a bigger vehicle either (I'm perfectly fine with that too lol). Been having a blast driving around the Tbird. I just hope that my landlord doesn't catch on I have three cars and tow one of them randomly. Luckily we are moving into our own house soon - just waiting to close on it. This gas is ridiculous. I hate paying over $4 a gallon, and I heard it's going to get over $5 this summer here. I'll be looking for a new job after we move too because even if I take a pay cut its still cheaper due to the drive from that city to this one eating up funds.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'86 Turbo Thundercat (Cougarbird)
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

The price of GAS!!!

Reply #11
your landlord will have a problem with you owning 3 vehicles and parking them on your property? good god, i'd be having fist fights with him on a daily basis LOL

The price of GAS!!!

Reply #12
Quote from: ZondaC12;384796
X

The financial products market is so wildly complex and every new thing they come up with is ten times more so, that you have to take a high-level college class just to understand how the mechanics of the trading even work!!!

I did and I still don't understand it fully....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

The price of GAS!!!

Reply #13
I have worked in the oil/gas drilling industry for 26 yrs and the price of oil is based on a world market. If anyone wants to get mad, look at the taxation applied to fuels. Oil has made our lives what they are today. Without the progress we have made due to petroleum, we would still be in horse and buggy days. I love oil, its made our lives great. Milk costs about the same as a gallon of gas.
1988 Thunderbird LX  557/C6 project. UPR tube K-member, A-Arms, Strange 10 way adjustable coilovers. SN-95 spindle,brakes. Manual rack, bump steer kit.  MM castor/camber plates, Dynatech 2 1/8 swap headers. Quick 9" 35 spline Moser axles,CHE lower c arms,

The price of GAS!!!

Reply #14
I find it incredible that people, just like you and me in many ways, can make a decision to increase the price of something that everyone uses. They buy gas, and milk, as well. They pay the same prices we do. The difference between us and them is they make enough money to where they don't care about the price of gas or milk or anything else because they have money, and usually lots of it. So the rich get richer and there ain't a  thing we can do about it. I wonder though, if I were in their shoes, would I be just as greddy.