Skip to main content
Topic: Chuck's '83 TBird (Read 70657 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #435
What is the reasoning for running the circuit breakers in parallel?  In case one goes bad you have a backup?

Thanks!
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #436
It was recommended by the supplier of the kit. There are arguments for and against it.
Considering I had nothing in place with the original set-up (Oops), so anything is an improvement. The battery spent most of the time disconnected, but I never had any issues.

I may also move the starter solenoid to the back, but I don't think it's overly needed in the application.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #437
The parallel CBs will split the load. You can draw up to 300 amps . Maybe 150 amps is not enough for the cold cranking  draw for some engines.  

Reply #438
The parallel CBs will split the load. You can draw up to 300 amps . Maybe 150 amps is not enough for the cold cranking  draw for some engines.  

In theory, yes. The arguments against it say otherwise.  It's more than needed for my application and any potential future use.

Reply #439
Battery relocation is done and wiring all run.

The welding is done on the cage bars and the hole is filled in the roof.

Need to prep all of the needed spots on the cage for paint and get the roof spot smoothed and sealed up.

I also now need to find some rear seat belts for this. I looked in my storage shed and all of my TBird parts bins and they are nowhere to be found. It's highly possible that they got "yeeted" as I didn't think I was going to need them. :giggle:

Reply #440
Looking Good!

I think LMR has the repo Mustang belts in a bunch of colors if you want something close to original.
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #441
OK, almost had a successful day on the TBird.

Got the interior all in the car and ready to go. (Sorry about the lousy pic...hard to get good lighting in the garage)

Then I flip the breakers on the power and go to start the car...and I hear no FP prime. Ugh.

Looks like there is an issue between my MS relay board and the FP relay. The wiring runs down the pass side rocker, so I might've messed up something mucking around with the battery cable run, etc.

Reply #442
Looks good man! Must have been a fuel thing today. Helped my buddy on his 69 Mustang and it ended up being a $8 filter…ugh.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #443
Yeah, I just spent the day getting all of the parts that belong INSIDE the car back in their spots. It was nice to get that sorted.

Sucks I need to pull some of it back out to track down the issue.
I know what the issue is, but I did this MS install so long ago, I'm going to have to dig into where the break is.

When I did the install, I removed the old EC power relay but kept the stock FP relay. The MS relay board has relays for both the ECU and the FP. Basically I'm double-relay-ing the FP, as I'm using the relay board FP repay to trigger the stock one in the trunk. Kind of redundant, but it works, and I'm not "planning" on any major changes to the engine management wiring for now. (Even though it needs it, honestly) I would do things A LOT differently now than 17 years ago.

I wired up my 240 differently 10 years ago when I did the MS install on that with no relay board. I wish I hadn't used it on the Tbird, but didn't know better and doubted my abilities a bit more at the time and though it would be "easier" with it.
We'll see where I wind up after I dig into the wires.

I also need to investigate the oil pressure gauge. I noticed it was dead when I pulled the car into the garage. It doesn't "jump" when the key is turned like the H2O temp gauge, so perhaps I have a bad sender.

The cage looks OK as long as you don't look closely at the cut/ground areas. I didn't have it in me to really smooth those out as well as they needed to be. Most of it's going to be covered with the padding anyway.

Reply #444
OK, well call off the search for why the FP wasn't kicking on.

Evidently the inertia switch had gotten triggered somehow. I stuck my finger in and pushed on the button and it reset.  The car started just fine. Glad I figured that out before I tore everything apart.

Gonna leave all of that as-is for now. Redundant? yes, but it has worked for 17 years, If/when I do any drivetrain changes, I'll rewire all of this stuff then.

Oil pressure gauge is next on the list as is smoothing out the roof spot a bit.

Reply #445
Did a quick test of the oil pressure gauge by grounding the sender lead. It went fill sweep.

Time for a new sending unit.

Reply #446
Got the oil pressure sender yesterday and got it swapped out today.

We now have a working gauge again.

Going to try and do the finish sand on the primered spot on the roof this weekend and get some paint on it.

I have some 2K paint, so not going to activate that until I'm ready for it. The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend, so hopefully that will all be wrapped up.

Reply #447
I never understood the premium sound ON/OFF switch, why the hell would you ever turn it OFF??  !!!   lol
Mike

Reply #448
Yeah. That would make more sense in a dealer demo or something. Not in a road-going production vehicle.

I don't remember why I left the switch in place when I modded the panel for the gauges (I mean, it's probably been almost 20 years since I did that...)

Reply #449
Looks like the "Premium Sound Switch" turns on an additional amplifier to put it in "Boost Mode".
In the EVTM it's called the "Amplifier Switch"
I guess it's used if you want to rattle the neighbor's windows.