Skip to main content
Topic: I've also been thinking the unthinkable. (Read 1543 times) previous topic - next topic

I've also been thinking the unthinkable.

Uggh, I read TC's thread and it reminded me that yeah, I've been having second thoughts recently as well.

I've put my heart and soul into this car over the years, yet what I have in return is tendinitis from repeated clean and jerk lifts of the Tremec (and other stupid human tricks) and a car that has me constantly gritting my teeth as I drive it.

1) It leaks/seeps oil from the front seal, the low oil level sensor, the rear seal and the pinion seal. It used to leak from the Tremec too, but a new TKO500 fixed that. I've meticulously put the best seals in - front seal more than once - yet it just can't seem to stop leaving oil spots that ruin my driveway. :mad:
2) It makes a loud clicking sound from the rear end when I back it up in the morning. Every part in the rear is new (control arms, shocks, springs w/poly cushions brakes, rear-end internals.) I even bought brand new caliper pins thinking that it was caliper movement. It persists. Now it sometimes clicks it when I turn corners and give it gas. WTF? :punchballs:
3) The exhaust drone drives me batshiznit crazy. I spent a mint on Corsa lers that were supposed to fix this problem, yet they had no effect at all. I have some catcos that I was going to weld in to help reduce noise, but so far I haven't been motivated to work on the car much this year. I know, nobody forced me to have a free-flowing exhaust, but I'll be ed if I can figure out how to have a high-flow exhaust without the insanity - no matter how much money I throw at it.
4) Vibrations. I spent friggin' $500 on a carbon fiber driveshaft to go along with my balanced rebuilt engine, new tranny and completely rebuilt rear-end and it STILL has vibrations that no newer car has. Why does one have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the vibration problems (we've all read the long threads on this topic.) :punchballs:
5) Other annoyances. Vibration that sounds like glass chards vibrating just behind my left ear - this is a new one as of last night. Stereo and other illumination that is intermittent and I'm tired of trying to fix. Oil chime sounding for almost the entire 70 mile round trip to a friends place (yeah, I ordered the larger sender and extension - another $50 down the drain.) Stereo cutting out on the left side, then not doing it for months at a time. There are a dozen more of these that I can't think of right now.

I've spent $20,000 on this car over the years trying to have a nice riding larger car that I can also take to the track, but I'm not sure I can sustain the effort needed to figure out how to achieve that goal. Perhaps that's not even possible on this 23 year old platform?

When you spec out one of the 2011 Mustangs that can do 11's in the 1/4 with just bolt-ons (NO power adder), you have to wonder if it's worth the time and effort trying to find the right combination of parts that's already been done for you by Ford.

Look at this beauty with a glass roof.

Am I nuts for wanting to take the easy way out? (albeit very expensive - I'd have to sell T-Bucket to get in the ballpark to afford it - not sure I could part with the Cougar even with it's annoyances.) What say you?
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #1
The clicking is most likely the trak-lok going bad...

23 year-old cars have their squeaks and complaints...however, 11 sec. 1/4's with minor bolts on are pretty ed neat...

If I could afford a new Stang...yeah, I'd get one...but not at the sacrifice of my 22 year old Sport...can't replace a family member.

"Begin as you mean to go on.."
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
I know exactly how you feel-I've spent so much money on my TC it makes me sick when I think about it. I bit the bullet and purchased a S197 Mustang late last year and couldnt be happier. Now my bird just sits under a car cover hooked up to a trickle charger. I've had it for sale for quite some time and I get rediculous offers of like $1,500-$2,000 I'm sorry but my car is worth more than that so in my yard it sits. There are quite a few members on here that also own Mustangs.

Reply #3
Quote from: kendoo130;330117
I know exactly how you feel-I've spent so much money on my TC it makes me sick when I think about it. I bit the bullet and purchased a S197 Mustang late last year and couldnt be happier. Now my bird just sits under a car cover hooked up to a trickle charger. I've had it for sale for quite some time and I get rediculous offers of like $1,500-$2,000 I'm sorry but my car is worth more than that so in my yard it sits. There are quite a few members on here that also own Mustangs.

Same situation here. I have had two s197's since I sold my bird and I couldn't be happier.

Reply #4
I sold my tbird after after 13 years and I was looking for another tbird/cougar just under a year.  I think you guys (cougar5.0 and thundr306) were at different spots with your cars than me and most of us here at the forum.  You both already maxed your cars out and already experienced your 11 sec foxes.  For me I still have unfinished business when it comes to these cars.  But once I do have a 10 second cougar and its done I guess some of the magic gets lost when theres nothing left to do to it.

Man I hope I don't loose interest in my car,  its taking so much work and $$ to get this one on the road. But anyway:

whatever you buy its all the same, just something to pass the time and enjoy. Hell as long as you get something that you can drive 120+ in the 1/4 does it really matter what it is lol

man were gonna need a S197 forum added here soon lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
Is your fox your daily driver? If not I say keep it. Mine has it squeaks, noises, and flaws but it's a almost 23 year old toy I drive for fun. Toys are supposed to be fun not something you drive every day. Then again I like old cars as they aren't cookie cutter and they are something different.

If you sell it can I have the Kenne Bell?:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
I'm very close to buying an 2011 Mustang but I'm just not sure I'm ready for the payments.  I can afford them but I'm just not sure I want them.  I did test drive one the other day and I will tell you the 7,000 rpm redline is real and it gets there quick.

If I do get one it will be a basic with 6 speed, Brembo brakes, and 3.73 gears, not interested in all the other toys.

They do deal and with very little effort they offered my invoice price.  Sticker price for the car with the two upgrades was $34,634 and invoice is $30,090.  This includes $850 destination charge.

TED

Reply #7
I know I love my 08 Mustang even though it's not a V8! Wish I could afford to trade to the new 5.0! The Grabber Blue is nice!

Yep this old 25 year old Tbird I have makes me wonder sometimes if I will ever see the light at the end of the tunnel. However, I did give up on my 1985 after I bought a 1999 Mustang back in 2000. I regret it now because I really wanted to restore that one. Since my step-mom left her 1984 rotting in my parents driveway I decided to redeem myself. I encourage anyone to hand on to what they have for classic sake and if you must buy a newer car for a daily driver!

Reply #8
Quote from: kendoo130;330117

Yours is a beauty! I wish mine was progressed this far!

Reply #9
Well, whatever you do, if you do sell it, make sure it goes to a good home.

We need a FTCF warehouse....:D
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #10
I don't think I could part with a t-bucket for a new mustang, lol. I think we all understand the frustration though.

My newest bird is the nicest one I've had yet but I think it's my least favorite. The automatic trans and bone stock motor leave a lot to be desired and with a 5 month old I have severely limited time to accomplish any modifications. I have a lot of days where I wish I'd just gotten my ranchero running again instead, but what can you do?

Looks like you'd be keeping the cougar either way by your post. With as much as you have invested I'd say stick it in a corner and take a break for a few if it's driving you nutty.

Reply #11
I have a '07 Mustang GT and if I had to choose a car to get rid of, it sure wouldn't be my T-bird.  I have the same problems. 
1.) put the car in reverse in the garage and there is always a loud 'clunk'.  I think it is something to do with the control arms
2.) driveline vibration that starts around 70 mph.  I have totally rebuilt the rearend, had the driveshaft balanced, balanced the tires multiple times and its still there.
3.) creaks, clunks, rattles everytime you drive the car.

But the point is...I just love my fox T-bird.  Despite all the little annoying things, it still makes me happy every time I drive it.  Then again I have owned this car since I was 17 so I have alot of memories with it (good and bad).

You get a lot of looks in the Mustang, but I honestly have just as many people check me out in the 'bird.  Its rare seeing one of our cars in decent condition these days and I think people are starting to see them in that "gee look at that old T-bird/Cougar, I remember those" kind of light.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #12
I've said it many times: These cars look too new to look old. They were ahead of their time in 1987, which unfortunately translates to run-of-the-mill 20 years later. You have all of the downsides of owning an old car (parts availability, creature comforts, etc) with few of the benefits ("WOW! Look at that old car!"). While a 4-eye has a distinct classic look to it, and the 87-88 Cougar has that unique rear window and roof line (not to mention the classy looking front end), the 87-newer T-Birds (including MN12's) just don't have enough to set them apart visually from anything else on the road. There are certainly those who will look at them and say "I remember those", but unfortunately those people are few and far between. Most people simply don't notice them. Even people who know nothing about cars recognise most old cars as being old, and therefore appreciate their condition (not to mention the era they represent). That rarely applies to these cars because they don't look like old cars. People are just starting to get nostalgic for the 80's, but unfortunately 87-88 T-Birds to not represent the 80's very well (hell, they're more modern than many 90's cars). Most people think of Monte Carlos, Grand Nationals, third-gen F-bodies, C4 Corvettes and fox Mustangs when they think 80's cars...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #13
Keep the cougar and the new 5.0 looks like a nice ride and is fast bone stock lets see how much they go for used in a year or so. but the 05 model V6s are dirt cheap now and the 2011 V6 runs 13.7s and gets 31mpg just think with a power adder and low boost and a few mods be a fast V6 the cheapest V6 i have seen here was like $13,000 for a 06. in a few years stock high 13s good MPG you know after BP oil spill there gonna try and up the price on gas with a few small mods might even get better MPG and the car stops form 60-0 in 104FT.

You might wanna keep the T-bucket there classic

Your cougar is nicer than mine so you might wanna keep it also.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #14
I too would love to have a 2011 Mustang.....but I'm not selling off my fleet of Fox T-Birds that I have put so much time into.

I think alot lately about how I am messing with 23-27 year old cars and then I see other people with new cars having fun. What I don't see is them writing out those big checks every month...something I have no desire to do.

So, for now I'll just keep working on my antiques.....:D
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10