Skip to main content
Topic: Make your own clear turnsignals (87 up) (Read 3188 times) previous topic - next topic

Make your own clear turnsignals (87 up)

Just thought I'd share how I made my own clear turnsignals in case anybody cares.
This only applies to 87 & up cougars-t-birds with the lens over the orange reflector.
Disclaimer- Try this at the risk of wrecking your turnsignals. I am not responsible for any broken lenses et al. Maybe use a spare set. Mine worked out fine first try.
1. remove turnsignals from car.
2. Gently pry the clear lens from the turnsignal housing using a knife and/or screwdriver by working slowly around the factory glued/welded seam(this takes time and patience).
3. Carefully pry the orange reflector out of the housing. You may break the reflector but who needs it
4. Apply reflective tape to the side of the housing where the reflector used to be. I got mine from a big rig parts dealer and used a white/silver one.
5. Clean up the seam where the clear lens meets the housing and apply the appropriate glue (I used GOOP)
6. Let glue dry and reinstall

Mine looks cool and people always ask where to get them. I don't have any way to put pics up yet but I will soon.

Re: Make your own clear turnsignals (87 up)

Reply #1
do you have any pics of it you can show off?

Reply #2
:ttiwwp:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #3
Just thought I'd share how I made my own clear turnsignals in case anybody cares.

I Care!  :slap:
I did it to my cat 6 months ago.... Ill save your ass with my pics...  :ies:

Reply #4
Yea, I tried it that way didn't like how it looks open on the side. Was curious how it looked with the tape in there. :banana:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #5
Yeah.... I also wonder how it look like with tape....  :dunno:

Reply #6
The lights do look better without that big orange piece in there. Just trying to figure out something to put in there to fill in the open spot. Thought about masking it off and painting that part. (like Eric did) :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

Reply #7
Man, on my corner lenses... the glue is on SUPER hard.  Im not even goin to try any further.  I'll just sand and polish the everything instead.

Reply #8
Finally - the pics...

As you can see the reflectors don't really show up during the day (just how I wanted) But they do their job at night.

Reply #9
nice so thats it to make clear lights? sounds easier than anything else, but what is a good thing to clean out the light cases with, i need somthing to make mine all shiney again, how would i go about doing that?  and also some guy at the junkyard told me the unibar light for the 89 model around with fit an 87, but i didnt think it would, n e one know if it does work?

Reply #10
Nope.  '89 is totally different.

Now we need someone to make clear Taillights!  Reeeeeeeeen-reeeen!

Reply #11
Clear taillights aren't probable(or wanted here)as these cars run on gas - not rice. :laughing:

Reply #12
could sure use some new replacements though
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #13
They actually used to make them in my hometown but the factory burnt down about 12 years ago because of a cougar taillight falling into the oven.  Some guys I work with worked there in 87-88 and said they used to "collect" parts but haven't got any more. I do have a set of NOS cougar head lenses that are used as reverse lights in the 87-88 taillights. useless but cool to have.

Reply #14
ya know, I removed the amber lenses from my front corner lights a couple years ago, but now I drive around with my black out covers about 90% of the time.  I came across a complete set of brand new lights for the front, so once this winter passes, I will be putting all new lights back in and I will not remove the amber lense this time.