Skip to main content
Topic: Paint for dark gray bumper, belt molding and B-pillar (Read 28659 times) previous topic - next topic

Paint for dark gray bumper, belt molding and B-pillar

Reply #15
I know on newer vehicles the tag with all of the codes, for Paint, trym packages, trim colors. I'll ask my boss. Yeah they have a chip system, we have a big 3 ring binder of chips to match. As far as trim being among them, I will have to check when I go back from lunch.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #16
Quote from: EricCoolCats;156549
Yes. It is incredible paint. Unfortunately I have never found a perfect match for 1983-86 grey trim in SEM. However, that's because a) until I got this '84, I really haven't had good used stock trim parts to compare the colors to, and b) SEM paint isn't cheap, so trying out a can @ $10 each isn't very bloody fun. Now I have acquired an NOS B-pillar panel that I can easily compare to the SEM colors. I just have to remember to do that some day. I'm confident that SEM offers something that will work, we just have to find it.

I just sprayed some SEM 39163 on my front bumper and it is a very close match to my (probably faded but less faded than my bumpers) fender/quarter molding.  The store was out of 39173 but should have some in on Tuesday.  I'm going to get some of that and try it too.  What can I use to fill in the deteriorated/gouged parts of the bumper?
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #17
Quote from: Cougars 2 go;159176
I just sprayed some SEM 39163 on my front bumper and it is a very close match to my (probably faded but less faded than my bumpers) fender/quarter molding.  The store was out of 39173 but should have some in on Tuesday.  I'm going to get some of that and try it too.  What can I use to fill in the deteriorated/gouged parts of the bumper?

Get this, the SEM "Medium Smoke" is darker than the "Dark Smoke."  Is there some paint/color lingo I'm not hip to?

The "Medium Smoke" is 39163 and the "Dark Smoke" is 39173 but the 39163 is darker.  Go figure.

So far, I would say the 39163 is the closest match. Eric, I would like to compare my freshly painted parts to your NOS parts at Cat Jam to see how close the color match is.

Reply #18
Forgot to ask something.

What color is the metal front tag holder and the metal lower windshield trim supposed to be?  To me, it seems that the windshield trim should be flat black to follow the same scheme they did with the reverse curved side window molding. They painted a small portion flat black or satin to match the rubber dew wipe along the driver door.  Also, seeing that the windows have that black dot matrix thing going on around their perimeter, I figured black was the logical choice for that part of the front windshield.

What about the tag holder though?  Without spending all night digging through all my stuff, it seems that all the factory pictures don't show front tags.

The reason I'm sort of picky with this stuff is because the light sage metallic can be unforgiving with wrong colors. I figured it probably looked close to the best it could from the factory so before I change a color from the factory, I have to know what the original should be to help determine if an alternate is better or not as good.

Reply #19
For the lower windshield trim, I would call it semi-gloss black. I can take a picture of my NOS one if you would like.

I can't help you on the front license plate holder. Since MI doesn't require them, I have never paid attention to them or had a reason to get one.

Brent
:cougarsmily:
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #20
Eric, I would like to compare my freshly painted parts to your NOS parts at Cat Jam to see how close the color match is.

Sure thing...just remind me if I forget. :hick:
Glad to hear we might have a choice, though. Thanks for doing the legwork on this.

What about the tag holder though? Without spending all night digging through all my stuff, it seems that all the factory pictures don't show front tags.

Well, I just redid mine on the '84. It's a flat black of your choice, no grey shades at all.

The cowl cover piece...it's as Brent says. I have my original rusted '84 piece that you can examine, if you wish. Mine got replaced with an '88 panel that seems to have been powdercoated from the factory; it's also a black color with just a hint of a shine. So flat-to-semigloss black is good. I usually recommend a little shine to help prevent acid rain etching (and therefore rust).

Reply #21
Eric,

If you would call around your area and find a paint store with a paint code camera they can snap a pic of those parts and it makes a exact match paint code . A little trouble but well worth the effort.

Mike

Reply #22
Mike, that's a good last resort; the guy that painted my car has access to one of those. I'm trying not to do that unless I need to, though, because he has to pull a lot of strings to get it. Karl and I will definitely have an answer, one way or another, in less than 10 days, comparing the parts we have...guess we'll go from there afterwards. Hopefully we've got a ready-made solution with the SEM paint.

Reply #23
OK,

I didnt think it was an issue like that but maybe so depending on the paint supplier. I have several buddys that paint cars here and just recently I restored 2 Elsinores and had 1 buddy take my old tank to the paint supplier which snapped the paint code on the spot and made the 2 colors needed, I figured since you had the NOS parts you could take them in and get it done that way. Actually I thought about my suggestion after I posted and realized this guy wants to use a spray bomb to paint his parts rather than a gun. My Apologies

Reply #24
Quote from: ATSMusic;161677
OK,

I didnt think it was an issue like that but maybe so depending on the paint supplier. I have several buddys that paint cars here and just recently I restored 2 Elsinores and had 1 buddy take my old tank to the paint supplier which snapped the paint code on the spot and made the 2 colors needed, I figured since you had the NOS parts you could take them in and get it done that way. Actually I thought about my suggestion after I posted and realized this guy wants to use a spray bomb to paint his parts rather than a gun. My Apologies

Uh, yeah. This guy wants to go the more expensive, complex route of spraying it himself instead of going through the quick and inexpensive process outlined above.
I guess anything learned from this won't be useful for the rest of the community since they all take their B-pillar trim to their buddies who are professional paint sprayers and have time to do this for $10 or less.

Reply #25
Back from the dead...looking back over the entries I see that we never did post a resolution so here we go...

First I showed mine to Karl and then he showed me his. :tg:

His paint was just a hair lighter than my NOS parts. It was a pretty decent match overall...although I've got a keen eye for that sort of thing and it would personally bother me that the paint would be lighter. But that's just me. I still believe that the solution lies within SEM's stock paint range, just haven't had the time/money to do any more trials. I've also heard from a few people that other companies' bumper paints have dark greys that may be close. This spring I hope to have enough time to do some more in-depth study of this, but for now I believe Karl has a pretty good solution with his efforts.

Reply #26
i know where i work we have paint chips that go way back. so when i need something like this i head to the paint chips. i know you guys are all thinking paint chips aren't those for the exterior paint. yep but they also have them for trim/interior/under hood so you guys might just try to head to a decent paint shop and ask to see there older paint chips.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #27
here are some paint chips to look at.

i know those all say exterior and interior no trim right. if you read this on the back of the 1st page then you will see you look up the trim code in the book and it shows you witch one of them is that color here is that info

hope this helps you guys

ps also note that on the 2nd page it give us the paint code to the blacked out trim and window moldings on the bird or cougar.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #28
if you need a formula for the ppg 33717 it is available
in single stage Concept. has to be sprayed from a gun
and a special activtor used.on my 86 capri 5.0 i used it
on all trim, mlgs, and the lower part of the car. it is a
low gloss color.--irv
85-6 mustang GT's use it for their trim too.

Reply #29
Quote from: EricCoolCats;157039
My conclusion:

There's an ever-so-slight difference in color between the pieces. Otherwise they are in the same league as far as finish (flat-to-semigloss) and color. These pieces haven't seen sunlight until these photos.

If it's not storming in the next few days, I'll get some close-up outdoor shots of the '84's B-pillars and molding.

Quote from: EricCoolCats;214101
Back from the dead...looking back over the entries I see that we never did post a resolution so here we go...

First I showed mine to Karl and then he showed me his. :tg:

His paint was just a hair lighter than my NOS parts. It was a pretty decent match overall...although I've got a keen eye for that sort of thing and it would personally bother me that the paint would be lighter. But that's just me. I still believe that the solution lies within SEM's stock paint range, just haven't had the time/money to do any more trials. I've also heard from a few people that other companies' bumper paints have dark greys that may be close. This spring I hope to have enough time to do some more in-depth study of this, but for now I believe Karl has a pretty good solution with his efforts.

My conclusion is that SEM 39163 is about as best as it's going to get from a can.  For starters, there is an ever-so-slight difference between those NOS pieces as Eric said.  The color of my parts that were painted with SEM 39163 was right in between the two shades of those NOS parts - a hair, and I mean a hair lighter than one and a hair darker than the other, and I'm pretty buttstuff about this sort of thing.  For those that don't want to go through the hassle of mixing paint and buying spray guns and all of that (like me) and unless you are competing against 90-plus point cars, you should be happy with SEM 39163.