Skip to main content
Topic: The days are numbered (Read 2989 times) previous topic - next topic

The days are numbered

Reply #15
Quote from: midnight cat;466773
Maybe you guys are giving up on the fox bodies too quickly. I can still practically find everything I need for my 65 T-Bird at the local auto part stores. I recently replaced the rear brakes and Autozone had everything in stock except the spring kits. Those I found in stock at my local Napa store. However, the heater core just went out and no one has it except one of those expensive "T-Bird Specialty" stores in Calif.  Forget that. And I must admit finding a new or rebuilt throttle body for my 86 Cougar was impossible. They don't exist.

See and that's just it. If it's an engine part there's a lot of fox chassis crossover. If I can't find a Part 9 times out of 10 I tell him it's for a V6 or inline 4 Mustang and they have it in stock. Now that leaves cars are getting 30 to 35 years old stuff like the window channels the rubber trim body parts headlights taillights are getting impossible to find. That's a lot of the reason why I like the 86 cars first year of fuel injection last year the good headlights. Now going back to a classic tbird they carry all those parts a lot like a classic Mustang. And yeah they're expensive but you can still get the parts. I just had to special-order brake pads. If I have to special order General wear and tear items there's not going to be much in stock specific to the car.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

The days are numbered

Reply #16
My local O'Reilly has brake pads/rotors/shoes/drums in stock for an 88 Thunderbird. Living in a major metro area helps.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

The days are numbered

Reply #17
Yeah, so could I this time last year. That was the entire point of the thread. And yeah, I'm 35 miles away from a major town, but less then an hour from the state capital,  so if I'm having a hard time, so will you.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

The days are numbered

Reply #18
Well, another option would be to take advantage of our parts interchange, and convert your brakes to SN95. SN95 stuff is still pretty  common, and a decent upgrade from stock. The initial buy-in can be pricey, but the parts are readily available and a decent upgrade. Can also toss on SN95 control arms to have the correct ball joint, and have another common part. Same goes with the master cylinder and booster. Get some shock relocation brackets, and then you can use fox and sn95 shocks. If you're ambitious, lower the car and be able to use fox shocks/struts at all 4 corners.

The mechanical aspect of these cars isn't terribly difficult. As we already know, the difficult part is the rubber seals, window channels, body parts and interior parts.

But, with that said, one of the best things I've done is buy a modern and reliable car. I don't have to think about it. It was a burden lifted off of my shoulders.
It's Gumby's fault.