Skip to main content
Topic: Let the questioning begin! (Read 12070 times) previous topic - next topic

Let the questioning begin!

Reply #75
Still fricken waiting...  :mad:
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #76
Those packals never called me and said it was in.  I didn't call because they said they would call me but they didn't.  I called them today and they were like, "yeah, it's here."

So I got the Walker H-pipe today meant for the 1988 Mark 7 LSC.  My digital is a piece of Olympus  so I will I have to borrow my neighbor's to take a picture.

It has two cats and it does NOT have mandrel bends.

$222.88

Reply #77
and it does NOT have mandrel bends.
I noticed that this time around too. The Mustang version I got back in 97 did , but this year's was just "normal" seamed piping with accordion bends. Either they (Walker) are getting cheap, or the cats are getting so expensive they had to cut costs to keep the total price down, or they outsourced and gave a contract to the lowest bidder. :yuck:
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #78
Looks like the Walker Mustang part (50500) is $400.00 at Advance.  With taxes and all, that's almost twice the cost of the Mark 7 LSC H-pipe that I got.

BTW, my LSC H-pipe is getting installed as I type this.  No clearance issues :banana:

Reply #79
Why did you specifically want the H pipe? I had a full 2.25 dual exhaust custom bent for my Bird with no H pipe and it cost me $300 and they used aluminized pipe. The car sounds really good not too lound and not too soft. And just so everyone knows if you don't have a crossover it dosen't sound like 2 4 bangers next to each other:flip:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #80
Do those Monte tailpipes actually fit?

I used Mustang pipes on mine (2.5" mandrel bent) and put extensions on the ends of them, with some stainless tips. I think it looks pretty decent. I originaly painted the pipes silver so they wouldn't look rusty after awhile, but now they're getting dirty so I may end up just painting them flat black or something (the visible parts at least)

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #81
Quote from: thunderjet302
Why did you specifically want the H pipe? I had a full 2.25 dual exhaust custom bent for my Bird with no H pipe and it cost me $300 and they used aluminized pipe. The car sounds really good not too lound and not too soft. And just so everyone knows if you don't have a crossover it dosen't sound like 2 4 bangers next to each other:flip:

I wanted a bolt-on solution for a stock 5.0L Cougar without being faced with clearance issues.  I was also concerned about freeing up too much backpressure.  Additionally, I wanted this solution to eliminate the obnoxious gas odor and stay emissions-legal.
The Walker Mark 7 LSC H-pipe does most of that for me and the part only cost $223 total with shipping and taxes at Advance Auto Parts.

Quote from: MasterBlaster
Well, I've got a Walker 15606 on mine, which is apparently the same as a 50500?

MasterBlaster, how did your installation go?  What other parts complete your exhaust system?
I am curious if anyone else has installed the Walker H-pipe intended for the Mustang GT.

I noticed right away that my exhaust note now sounds smoother than it did when I had the Mustang factory H-pipe.  Also, three out of the four catalytic converters on the Mustang H-pipe I had were hollowed out.  The gas smell seems to be gone so those worthless cats must have been the reason.  Now, I wonder if I could pass emissions.  I got a waiver but I'm curious if it could legitimately pass now with the new cats.

FYI: the rest of my exhaust includes factory Mustang headers, and the Flowmaster 50-series dual exhaust kit for the 87-93 Mustang LX.

I am going to have to borrow my neighbor's digital camera to get pictures so I can post them here.

I went with the Walker part for the Mark 7 LSC because someone posted that they had the Catco and fitment was lousy.  Also, the Walker Mark 7 part from Advance was the least expensive out of all the other options.  The Walker Mustang part cost over $400 and I was concerned about fitment around the floor shift AOD.  The Mark 7 Walker H-pipe seems to give a tad more room around the AOD than my Mustang factory H-pipe did.

The non-bolt-on aspects are:
-the Mark 7 H-pipe is shorter than the Mustang one so longer intermediate pipes had to be made
-the Mark 7 pipe has that little pipe in the middle that connects to a hose that goes back toward the engine.  The Mustang one has it on the side which is easier to work with.

Reply #82
So you got a Walker h-pipe that has new cats in it for $223.
Let me know how your emissions goes because if it works for you, I might do that too.
Is it 2.25 or 2.5 diameter?

Reply #83
Quote from: 5.0willgo
So you got a Walker h-pipe that has new cats in it for $223.
Let me know how your emissions goes because if it works for you, I might do that too.
Is it 2.25 or 2.5 diameter?

It's whatever the stock Mark 7 LSC is so I am thinking 2.25.

Do they do "courtesy checks?"  I am not due for any emissions now because I got a waiver but I want to know what the effect of this new part has on my pollutants measurements.

*EDIT*
I don't think they do courtesy checks. How long is your waiver for? Did you get a 2 year or is this just the 1 month thing?

Two years

Reply #84
Quote from: Cougars 2 go
It's whatever the stock Mark 7 LSC is so I am thinking 2.25.

Do they do "courtesy checks?"  I am not due for any emissions now because I got a waiver but I want to know what the effect of this new part has on my pollutants measurements.

I don't think they do courtesy checks. How long is your waiver for? Did you get a 2 year or is this just the 1 month thing?

Reply #85

Two years.

Reply #86
Quote from: Cougars 2 go
The non-bolt-on aspects are:
-the Mark 7 H-pipe is shorter than the Mustang one so longer intermediate pipes had to be made

That should actually have been the reverse, I believe that TurboCoupe 50 has even posted pictures to support that theory.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #87
MasterBlaster, how did your installation go? What other parts complete your exhaust system?
Apart from the column-shift and O2 sensor interference, it's okay, but the system hangs a little low with the rear s almost touching the floor brace for the seat mount bolts (rear). If I had any ambition at all, I could probably tweak/cut/bend the tubes to make it fit better, but... ehh.

Stock Mustang shorties, 50500 now, intermediate (flow) pipes 42796 + 42795 the first time, 42796 + 42835 2nd and 3rd times, stock 5.0 or TC lers (py sound from both), stock tailpipes (+ pipe reducers depending on s used). I didn't feel like experimenting with different brands/styles, as this is my only car, and when they rust out, I want to know the parts I order WILL fit with what's there now.
I am curious if anyone else has installed the Walker H-pipe intended for the Mustang GT.
The search function should show several.
Mine passes fine. Surprises the testers, since it looks like such a piece of  otherwise. I don't even bother doing any "tune up" stuff before testing. Of course, I still have all the original smog parts.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #88
Quote from: nirvanagod
That should actually have been the reverse, I believe that TurboCoupe 50 has even posted pictures to support that theory.

Well, I got my camera back from Olympus.  They repaired it for free even though I've had it for almost two years because there was some defective part.

Anyway, my point is that I will be getting under After soon to take some pictures for everyone of my new Walker "1988 Mark 7 LSC" H-pipe.

Also, my wife made the comment this past weekend that she noticed After seems to have more power.  I agreed.  That's saying something if my wife noticed it.  I guess the increased backpressure with my new pipe helped over the old one with blown out cats.