Skip to main content
Topic: 351w 88tc Swap Questions (Read 3106 times) previous topic - next topic

351w 88tc Swap Questions

Hello all, sure am glad I found this site. I have an engine-less 88 Turbo Coupe that I would like to put my 94 351w into. I have read over the previous posts but still have a few questions. The motor will be carbed and I am wondering how much hood clearance I would have for an aftermarket intake? Also, does the large abs assembly pose any clearance problems with the taller motor?
Thanks.
Almost forgot, what crossmember would I need for an AOD trans?

351w 88tc Swap Questions

Reply #1
sounds like you need to talk to SirChirpsAlot.

Dont the crossmembers interchange?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

351w 88tc Swap Questions

Reply #2
The ABS isn't a issue, its close but clears... The TC crossmember will not work with a H-pipe. You'll need a double hump x-member, like used in the 5.0 Mustang... Generally they were in most if not all '87-'88 3.8/5.0 Birds/Cougs as well.

Not sure about the hood clearance, as already mentione maybe SirChirp will chime in...

351w 88tc Swap Questions

Reply #3
You'll need a double hump x-member, like used in the 5.0 Mustang... Generally they were in most if not all '87-'88 3.8/5.0 Birds/Cougs as well.

Don't count on all of them....Most do but, I used to have an 87 3.8 that I put a dual exhaust on as well as some other stuff.  It had the cross member with only one hump.  My V8 came with the double. 

As far as an intake what did you have in mind?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

351w 88tc Swap Questions

Reply #4
Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking about a Weiand Stealth or Edelbrock RPM.
Tom

351w 88tc Swap Questions

Reply #5
Stealth Should fit without a hitch..... I'm unsure on the Edelbrock.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

351w 88tc Swap Questions

Reply #6
I can live with the Stealth. There must be a higher hoodline on the T-Bird/Cougars than there is on the Mustangs. Do the AL4D and the AOD share the same shift pattern? This car was an automatic so it would sure be nice if I can use the same factory shifter.

351w 88tc Swap Questions

Reply #7
Quote from: warbird
I can live with the Stealth. There must be a higher hoodline on the T-Bird/Cougars than there is on the Mustangs. Do the AL4D and the AOD share the same shift pattern? This car was an automatic so it would sure be nice if I can use the same factory shifter.

It's actually the A4LD...the LD stood for light duty...you don't want to run that behind even a 302, let alone a 351.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

351w 88tc Swap Questions

Reply #8
He wasn't planning on using the A4LD behind it, he just wanted to know if the shift pattern on the shifter is the same as the AOD's shift pattern, and I think they are the same it is just marked with out the OD

This link should help some.
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/
Check out the column to floor shift conversions, for AOD for some info.

EDIT:  Just read the info, NO you cannot use the A4LD shifter.  Need one from an AOD or a C5

351w 88tc Swap Questions

Reply #9
Quote from: warbird
I can live with the Stealth.  Do the AL4D and the AOD share the same shift pattern? This car was an automatic so it would sure be nice if I can use the same factory shifter.

Nope, the A4LD has a extra detent in the mechanism for the P-R-N-O/D-3-2-1 pattern, the AOD uses a P-R-N-O/D-D-1 pattern. You'll need a shifter from a '86-earlier TC/XR7(P-R-N-D-2-1), '87-'88 Tbird Sport, or Coug XR7... Cable hookup is a little different at the tranny but possibly the A4LD cable could be adapted to the AOD if you had to... Course there is always aftermarket shifters...

Quote from: Sick88Tbird
It's actually the A4LD...the LD stood for light duty...you don't want to run that behind even a 302, let alone a 351.

Can't happen anyway, no way to bolt up a A4LD to a 3.8/5.0/5.8...

351w 88tc Swap Questions

Reply #10
That's too bad about the shifter. Unfortunately the only aftermarket shifter I have is a Cheetah, and I think I'm SOL using it on a 4 spd auto. It has a C-4 shift pattern on it, but that would make for some high rpm cruising with 3.73's out back.
Thanks again for the quick replies from everyone.
Tom

351w 88tc Swap Questions

Reply #11
I have a B&M prostick with everything for an AOD, Heck i even have AOD still.
As for intake i have holly street dominator.  Torker II and PRM all work well.
Will 351 be a roller or non roller? 
The crossmeber you can get from any 5L stang in s yard.
New one is not that much.
But weld the tubes in place.

Headers would be mac 351 fox shorts,
If u run AOD you cant get long tubes in there.
I wanted thr BBK longs when i frist went with 351 but AOD was in the way.
I now have stick in there.

351w 88tc Swap Questions

Reply #12
I have the double hump crossmember, as well as the Mac headers for a 351. It is a roller block (1994) and I thought I would use the 5.0 HO cam for now. Would you happen to know if 5.0 mounts from a 91 T-Bird will work on 88? Here's a pic of them.

I'll check with turbo action to see if I can adapt my shifter.
Tom

351w 88tc Swap Questions

Reply #13
They look real close to fox mounts.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

351w 88tc Swap Questions

Reply #14
I'm using engery susp poly mounts like on a stang in my 85T bird,
As for into TC i have no idea i can pop hood on my 87 and see how K mamber looks and i might be able to tell if ones i have would work.

I'm going with tube K in my 87 when i do it.