Skip to main content
Topic: big block (Read 2923 times) previous topic - next topic

big block

anybody out there put a big block in a 87 -88 cougar looking to put a 429 in a 87 cougar current v6

big block

Reply #1
no, i think you would be the first one. sounds kick ass!!!!1one!!
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

big block

Reply #2
in a cougar not to my knowledge
in a bird yes
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

big block

Reply #3
same car just want to know what had to be done

big block

Reply #4
plenty big blocks have been done as well a some 4.6's.

what you do is pull your motor and put that one in,,lol

Could you be more vague?:evilgrin:

I think this one is always a good drool

big block

Reply #5
thats a 351, not a big block.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

big block

Reply #6
do a search for some of sleeper tbird's threads. You'll find all your answers.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

big block

Reply #7
haystack but doesnt it make you drool?? if not then i dunno whats wrong with ya :-p

big block

Reply #8
BB Cougar ?  I don't know of any. Same engine compartment as a Bird.

I have done 2 Fox Birds w/460

Pics on the link in my signature.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

big block

Reply #9
just wondering what needed to be changed out like motor mounts trans mounts

big block

Reply #10
The trans mount for an AOD can be re-used if you use the double hump trans crossmember. the AOD mount bolts right up to a C-6.

The motor mounts will be a real pain if you use the 87-88 unique crossmember.  I had to make custom motor mounts to fit the 460 to my 87 TC. It seems it would be easier to switch to a V-8 Mustang K-frame so you can buy the standard 460 Fox Swap mounts.

Is this going to be a drag only car or street driven ?
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

big block

Reply #11
its 86-88 for the k-member.

The 83-85.5? had the same k-memeber and mounts as a mustang.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

big block

Reply #12
its going to be a street strip car thnx for all the input

big block

Reply #13
Quote from: 83-88T-Bird Guy;244455
The trans mount for an AOD can be re-used if you use the double hump trans crossmember. the AOD mount bolts right up to a C-6.

The motor mounts will be a real pain if you use the 87-88 unique crossmember.  I had to make custom motor mounts to fit the 460 to my 87 TC. It seems it would be easier to switch to a V-8 Mustang K-frame so you can buy the standard 460 Fox Swap mounts.

I concur.  The big block may have clearance issues besides the mounts if going with a stock K-member.  Like exhaust, oil pan, etc...not impossible, just more difficult, as 83-88tbirdguy can probably attest to.
1987 TC