Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing a 4.6 with a Carb'd 302 ? (Read 1206 times) previous topic - next topic

Replacing a 4.6 with a Carb'd 302 ?

I've done a number of engine builds and conversions but never like this situation with a 94' Bird. I've got an AOD from an 89' Lincoln and the mounts for the 302 but there seems to be a situation with the Speedo and I'm wondering if this is just the beginning. I would like to keep all the gauges functioning but I'm thinking they might be dependent on the computer etc. and this is going by the wayside. Is there a way to bypass the Comp. or maybe components from an earlier year fit the dash? I would think the senders would still register for the gauges with out all the other stuff ( MAP,MAF,TPI, ETC). Will the fuel pump in the tank supply the 500 CFM Carter or will I need to cut out the T/C cover for the mech. pump?
    I certainly hope somebody has some knowledge or expertise in this area as I will not put a modular back in the hole. The way I see it, the only improvement to be made to this car is to have a Windsor under the hood.
    I look forward to hearing some good news and yes I am a "Newbie" here so have at it............
    Vermin

Replacing a 4.6 with a Carb'd 302 ?

Reply #1
These guys deal with MN-12s (like your 94) more thna we do. You could try asking there because there are a few guys there who have done this. http://www.tccoa.com
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.