Skip to main content
Topic: 85 base to Pre emission shelby 350 (Read 2155 times) previous topic - next topic

85 base to Pre emission shelby 350

Since this is what I had prior (And plan to do again) I wanted to post a thread about it.

The engine was a Gran Torino block, with 70 shelby Gt-350 heads.    Since ford used universally the same bolt pattern, the match up was pretty simple.  We used a C4 transmission which again, was a straight bolt, other than the bell housing.

Of course, an issue that we eventually ran into was that the original springs/struts weren't made for the added weight, and working a radiator that could handle it required a bit of (massaging) with a hammer to fit.

The list of goodies on it were as follows:
Road Master intake
Edelbrock 4 barrel Carb
GM HEI single wire dist
True dual exhaust
RN Cam
Flat top pistons
Toggle switch board (Original ignition was dead) Had it rigged for lights, and a few other things I can't remember

We used an old Mach-1 wiring harness, and we also bypassed the computer almost completely, it only ran the dash.

Something I was very interested in was a possible conversion to EFI. I know very little about that kind of swap out, and what is necessary, or if it really helps or not.

Reply #1
There were only 800 Shelby 350s produced in 1970.  I can't imagine cannibalizing one of them for a fox bird.

If your plan is to go fuel injected, you're probably better off starting with an explorer gt40 motor from salvage and going with that.  It'll have better heads, very good efi intake, and a roller cam.  If you read up here and the mustang forums, the gt40 heads are probably the best bang for the buck, and with a little work, you'll see 300 hp at the rear wheels.

But to each his own I guess. It would be a lot of money invested in old technology doing what you're planning. 

Geoff
T-Birds can't fly.  Ask how I know...

Reply #2
We only had the 350 heads, dad had them ordered from I don't know where. I about ped when looked up the production numbers. The rest was thrown together as he found.

Reply #3
Fortunately '70 GT350 heads are just standard '69-'70 351W heads, nothing rare or special about them at all. So no worries about a classic car missing irreplaceable parts.

As far as an efi conversion helping or not, it depends on your goals. You can make just as much peak power with a carb. Driveability and fuel economy will generally be better with efi.

Reply #4
Throw Cleveland heads on the 302 and run fuel injection.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
I didn't realize that the heads were so easy to come by, that makes me feel a lot better. I was thinking about the efficiency towards fuel, the sucker got between 12-15 per gallon as it was. 

I've heard of the Cleveland engines, but at this point in time, I know zip on them.  Got something I'm going to start researching.