Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone here do a big block swap? (Read 4212 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone here do a big block swap?

I've had a BBF in my '85 Turbo Coupe since 1989.  It's a real street car (except for the race gas) with a full interior, exhaust, stock front suspension, power seats, mirrors, antenna, windows, locks, etc.  This should be my last year with the car as both my kids are in college now and the fun and fund$ aren't really there any more.  Anyone interested?  LOL

Reply #1
:ttiwwp:  :evilgrin:  :D

Where in Chicago are you??

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #2
So is this a feeler thread? Pics, details, price, and above all...
PICS! :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #3
XXXToo funny!  Yes I have lots of pics and vids.  Give me a moment to upload them.  I live in the northern suburbs now, Arlington Heights, IL.

Reply #4
XXX

Reply #5
The plaque was from winning the True Street competition in St. Louis last summer.  Car had to be liscensed and street legal, drive 30 miles (105 degrees outside), then 3 back-to-back 1/4 passes.  There wasn't much competition in the class, so I kept it in the low-mid 9's.

Reply #6
Oh hell...that's a nice 'Bird. :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #7
I've got a DOVE 460 I've been wanting to poor in my tc, but haven't even started on the project yet besides gathering pieces.
...and there was light!

Reply #8
It would be nice to see how tight that big block fits in your engine compartment. Did you have to do any clearancing to the shock towers?

Reply #9
They'll fit fine, but the stock hood will need worked over.

I'm considering this to either my '84 notch, or completely gutting out my Sport and making a drag car. Only thing is...I need a 460. If I went that route, I'd get the super-dooper 429 heads and build it. But that's spending a fortune I don't yet have.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #10
I ran a stock steel hood for many years!  It's quite easy with iron heads.  The A460 heads made it a little tougher, so I trimmed .400" off the top of the intake (I have a 1" N2O plate) and inserted a 3/4" spacer between the K-frame and the body.  I lowered the rack a few inches and trimmed accordingly.  Shock towers are stock as well as the entire front end.  I had to play around with some spacers on the spindles to get the bump-steer corrected but that was minimal.  I built the car for street racing, hence no significant external modifications.  Even the fuel pump is in the trunk, plumbed to a very modified stock fuel tank.  The car is quite the sleeper:beatyoass:

Reply #11
Quote from: 1987tbird5.0;432756
It would be nice to see how tight that big block fits in your engine compartment. Did you have to do any clearancing to the shock towers?

X

Reply #12

Nice looking Bird you have there !
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto