Skip to main content
Topic: 460 Swap With stock K Member? (Read 7973 times) previous topic - next topic

460 Swap With stock K Member?

Reply #15
Quote from: 83-88T-Bird Guy;419985
I sent these pics to Rick in a pm, but for future reference to those that search, I will offer my experience.

These are pics of solid mounts I made to fit the 460 in my 87 TC. n
One pic shows the upper half of the mounts on the 460 (on the cherry picker)
When I made them, I was using D5 exhaust manifolds.
In order to use my turbo headers, I had to use large nuts (as spacers) to raise the engine that amount, so that is what you see in the pics.

Putting the 460 in there is do-able with the 86-88 k-member, but you have to make your own mounts.

Allan,

I just happen to stumble across a link to this thread and i'm grateful i did. I've got an 88TC i purchased new but had issues with the auto tranny about 5 years ago and simply parked it in the yard after buying a new SUV. I've very interested in your 460 swap using the stock K member. I've read on several forums where they replaced the stock K member with one from a Mustang but this direct swap you've made is just the ticket i've been looking for. I do have a few questions concerning the solid mounts you fabricated. Do you have any drawings with dimensions you could share? If not, would you be willing to fabricate a pair for me at a cost of course?? I'm not a welder so buying the mounts already made would be the best bet for me. The car will only be used for local bracket racing with a mildly built 557 and an automatic, probably a C4 or a glide. Oh, forgot to ask what you did about the ride control suspension on the car???

Thanks in advance for your help. I was leaning towards buying a fox body Mustang coupe to build a dragcar when i remembered i had a fox body Bird just sitting around. Hopefully your advice will allow me to pursue doing something with the car.

Frank

Reply #16
Quote from: dragracer;423354
Allan,

I just happen to stumble across a link to this thread and i'm grateful i did. I've got an 88TC i purchased new but had issues with the auto tranny about 5 years ago and simply parked it in the yard after buying a new SUV. I've very interested in your 460 swap using the stock K member. I've read on several forums where they replaced the stock K member with one from a Mustang but this direct swap you've made is just the ticket i've been looking for. I do have a few questions concerning the solid mounts you fabricated. Do you have any drawings with dimensions you could share? If not, would you be willing to fabricate a pair for me at a cost of course?? I'm not a welder so buying the mounts already made would be the best bet for me. The car will only be used for local bracket racing with a mildly built 557 and an automatic, probably a C4 or a glide. Oh, forgot to ask what you did about the ride control suspension on the car???

Thanks in advance for your help. I was leaning towards buying a fox body Mustang coupe to build a dragcar when i remembered i had a fox body Bird just sitting around. Hopefully your advice will allow me to pursue doing something with the car.

Frank

Sorry for the late response Frank.
I need to get on here more often. lol

Unfortunately, I do not have any blueprints on the mounts.
Because I wanted my 460 to sit as low and as far to the rear as possible, it took a lot of time designing and trial fitting those solids.

Plus, I wanted to be able to slide the engine forward enough to get the bellhousing bolts off so I could pull the engine but leave the trans still in place.
A 460 is in the car right now so I cannot get you some dimensions on the mounts.

Hopefully, this year I will get the car out of storage and pull that 460 out. If I do, I will try to remember to get dimensions.

Alan
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #17
Quote from: erik draven;422781
What intake is that

The intake on the black 460 is a '74 or '75 (stock) car intake I believe. (cast iron)
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10