Skip to main content
Topic: Cobra Engine Craigslist Score! (Read 14286 times) previous topic - next topic

Cobra Engine Craigslist Score!

Reply #30
289 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno.  The injectors were at 100% duty and idle characteristics were .  The only thing we did was swap in the 42 lb/hr injectors and correct the tables for them and the car went 318 rwhp and it idled like a champ.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #31
Got some things done yesterday. I sold the cobra intake manifold and 24lb injectors for $300. Gonna put that money toward some 42lb injectors and a MAF.

I was pretty happy to see these beauties when I pulled the valve covers.

Double valve springs with Crane rockers. The motor is super clean inside:)

I stripped the flaking paint off the valve covers and painted them.

I stripped the cobra motor and SO motor down to the long blocks to swap the intake, 70mm TB, timing cover, water pump, distributor, and accessories.

cobra pump(top) SO(bottom)

Gonna be working on painting the block, obtaining new, gaskets and dressing the motor today.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #32
Sweet score man

Reply #33
I would get a different intake if you could. The stock lower is holding you back unless it's been ported. Those valve springs are actually stock but they look to be in good shape.

You should paint the block/heads while the engine is out. I like the color on the valve covers. I think it would look good on the whole engine.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #34
^ I have to agree with all the above. ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #35
Found this on one of the Mustang/Cobra sites so I am not 100% sure if it is all legit but it has been posted several times on the Cobra sites and no one seems do doubt it:

Cobra Engine/Trans Specs:

The Cobra engine was under rated at 240bhp from the factory campared to the GT's 225bhp and was only available with a 5 speed and 3.08 rear end gears.

Cast iron GT40 heads
Cast aluminum Cobra intake manifold
Crane 1.7 rocker arms
24lb fuel injectors
Cobra specific ECU (computer)
"Cobra" stamped valve covers
Engine oil cooler
Front mounted power steering fluid cooler
Lightened flywheel
Phosphate coated transmission gears
Under drive water pump and crank pulleys
Cobra specific camshaft
Cam specs: Duration: 227°/Intake & 270°/Exhaust
Lift: .485/.485 Intake/Exhaust
Lobe separation: 118.5°

Alot of the other sites stated that the valve springs are actually a spring with an inner damper as the cast iron GT40 heads have to be machined to accept true dual springs.  For the most part the springs of choice for these heads are here:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-2500100/

My advice would be to get the TFS spring kit and install it now because having to do it later will cost a lot more $$$.  I've never been able to assess springs by appearance, they need to be checked by a machinist to see what the seat and open pressures are and from there you can say whether or not the springs are good for the application or not.  They do make spring testers that the average Joe can buy but most of us are not checking spring pressures enough to warrant such a tool especially if the heads are already off the car.

Darren

Reply #36
I did end up painting the block and heads last night. Also swapped over my fox timing cover and water pump and a new front main seal. As for upgrading the springs and intake, It's not in the budget for now. I still need to buy a clutch, injectors, MAF, and megasquirt.  I need to get this car back on the road ASAP. I drive 2-3 hours a day and my truck is killing me on gas.
Note the cobra's timing chain. It's a single wide chain as opposed to the double chain on the SO motor. Also the oil cooler ahead of the filter that ties into the cooling system.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #37
Looks good painted up

Reply #38
Could you swap on a new chain while it's apart? It's easy to do right now.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #39
Its no longer apart. Lol

Reply #41
Dude, as Emrile would say, "BAM!".  That bitch is done...this man does not know the words screwing around.  It will be good to hear how it runs with some boost???

Darren

Reply #42
I just ordered the clutch. Once that comes in I can drop the motor in. In the mean time I will probably make some solid engine mounts out of the old ones. I'm out of money this week, so injectors and megasquirt will have to wait till next week.

Reply #43
This is how I plan to run my belt. just running an alternator and a water pump.

Cleaned up my distributor.

I think I'm going to ditch my home made turbo header on the passenger side and make a new one out of this stock header. It will be a lot easier to get the bolts in and out. I'm also changing my standard V-band s to the kind that have an interlocking male and female  so they wont leak under high pressure.